Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average household costs

Options
  • 13-08-2011 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

well basically i am moving out into a 5 bedroom house, along with four of my friends for college in september and i really just need to know of the basic monthly costs, of a house might be. it had oil heating and a back boiler in the fire place.
    electricity is the main thing as i really dont know how much this costs. we wont be using blow heaters or tumble dryers or anything but will be charging laptops etc. the house is in donegal and seems well insulated.
    any help would be greatly appreciated as i a really am fnding it hard to some up with a realistic budget for all the household bills and feel like i am forgetting things. i am just hoping i can plan how much my expenses will be a bit better.
    also if anyone has any thoughts about tv and broadband providers i.e cheapest to set up it would also help me. i also wonder can i get sky etc if i only want a 9 month contract (college year)
    thanks a million feedback would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Reckon you should each budget about €20 per week to cover utilities and household costs (not including transport or food). Have you a written agreement between you to cover the situation of somebody moving out before the 9 months is up ..(yes, they will). If you try the €20 arrangement and keep records, you can review it mid-way through and adjust if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

the house is in donegal and seems well insulated.

Did you see the BER certificate? Check the rating against the BER estimates on
    http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/Your_Guide_to_Building_Energy_Rating.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11 littlelemon

as it stands there was only 4 of us in a 5 bed house and then another friend asked to move in with us but as you say i have a feeling he will not stay out the year. the rent agreement with the landlord is that 4 of us have to sign the lease but he doesnt mind if we get another person for the other room but it is at our expense if something does go wrong. i was thinking about drawing up a private contract with him that he promises to stay until at least christmas and then we can review things.
    thanks for the figure seems reasonable enough do you or anyone else out there think the cost of utilities would go up alot if he did leave? i know rent would go up accordingly. i will also check up with landlord about rating. as its my first time living in a house i am totally clueless about all this!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

If one of the 5 leaves, the bills would be spread among 4 instead of 5, but some of the "usage" part of the bills would be less, so everyone might have to pay a few euro more but not a lot.

Best thing to do is make a list, get down on paper what you have estimated and see where you stand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As mentioned above- you *need* to see the BER cert for the property.
    Its a large house in Donegal- and we've had winters that have seen sub -20 temperatures over the past 3 years.......... Its entirely possible even with a semi-reasonable BER rating, that you could end up running the boiler continuously for weeks on end, and oil could be your biggest bill.........

I'd not be overly worried about electricity- its the heating that is going to be the biggie in this house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement