Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

History/Geography resources for primary schools

• 13-08-2011 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a keen amateur photographer/writer/graphic designer with 3 children, two of whom are still in primary school. During last year, the kids and myself took our cameras and put our research hats on to collect information, photos, videos etc for their annual history project in school which was a 'day in the life of Norman Ireland'. We would love to do some more of these and the school found it exceptionally helpful to get some freebie resources. Was wondering if there were any primary school tecahers on here that might be able to share ideas about what projects they have planned for this year and what resources would help them in completing them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Good question OP

In answer to it.......There's a website that I've pimped out in a different forum to here before, but here goes again because IT'S JUST THAT GOOD!!

The website for The Ordanance Survey has a maps feature with lots of options that are great for History and Geography.

Firstly, there's a current map that shows all of the property boundaries and even inculdes extensions/ out buildings (anything that had to receive planning permission).

Added to that is a range of overlays that can be used with the current map. You can overlay aerial photos from the past 15 years, (great for showing how so many fields have turned into housing estates!). There's also three historical maps dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. By sliding a scale on the map key you can fade from a current view to a map of the same spot hundreds of years ago.

I've used this website in class with older children on an interactive whiteboard for loads of different things.......showing continuity and change in the natural and man made environments, the differences between old and modern developments and most importantly, the development of the local area the children are from. They loved it!!

Here's the link.. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

Advertisement