Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you take calves off cow as soon as they are born

• 13-08-2011 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering, i normally leave them on the cow for a week but this morning i have 8 freshly calved cows in the calving paddock and its an ordeal to get the cows in to the parlour to milk them .The cows have all got rotavec corona and the calves have to get this for a week at least after birth, was thinking i could just feed it to them in the pens. Being on the cow gives them a good start but its pure hardship getting the cows in once a day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Lad i did my placement with never let the calves suck the cow ;) he milked the cow in the palour for the colostrum and kept it for the calf .....after that he just came them whole milk. a lot less hassle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

calves never suck their mothers here-milked out about half hour after calving and stomach tubed-calves taken away and put in hutches for about 3week-bit of a pain when loads of fresh milkers come in together as we dont let the colostrum be pooled together in the dump line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

usually leave them for a day as my dad feels its more natural to suck the cow and get her colostrum so who am I to argue :p

When I was in australia the calf was taken away straight away, cow milked and sent on her way with the other cows. One time I even brought in a cow who had the feet out and milked her in the rotary, drafter her out and pulled the calf and then off she went and the colostrum was already there and waiting... different set up over there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i like to see the calf on the cow its great to see them together... i suppose the time i am saving not feeding the claf i am spending bringing the mothers in , also not helped by the 2 pet lambs that are in the paddock also:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What do ye all do with the excess colostrum, store and feed to calves over a few days?

• Advertisement

i feedexcess colostrum to calves, have a good bit in the freezer for my neighbours:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I usually let them with the cow till next milking then feed them. If they dont suck they get tubed. Some lads using buckets dont let them with the cows as they feel its harder to train them to drink but most of mine are on the jfc feeder by the 4th feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we don't vaccinate the cows,

being a spring calving herd ( with the exception of a couple of pedigree lm cows)

the calf gets colostrum from a bottle and teat, and 1 birth tube, asap after calving

the calf is left with the dam until she has cleaned or 24 hours max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

5live wrote: »
    I usually let them with the cow till next milking then feed them. If they dont suck they get tubed. Some lads using buckets dont let them with the cows as they feel its harder to train them to drink but most of mine are on the jfc feeder by the 4th feed

yup. till the next milking, be it 12 hrs or 12 min. or depending how long the que is to get into the calving shed.

try to keep things as easy and stress free as possible.... dose nt always work out that way though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

theres no need to vaccinate all the cows for rotavec.its over a tenner a cow and i do maybe every second cow and pool the vaccinated cows milk for calves. also i use tri-vactin instead and its much cheaper(€6-7) and can use it up too 3 weeks pre calving so i give them a shot when they start too spring up.

• Advertisement

theres no need to vaccinate all the cows for rotavec.its over a tenner a cow and i do maybe every second cow and pool the vaccinated cows milk for calves. also i use tri-vactin instead and its much cheaper(€6-7) and can use it up too 3 weeks pre calving so i give them a shot when they start too spring up.
    having lost an awful amount of calves with crypto/rotavirus anything that can stop these diseases is very welcome around here, any cow who for some reason doesnt get the rotavec the calf in my experience does meet the challenge. So now i have biestings stored in the freezer that has the antibodies in it. Each calf here is done with halocur , vecoxan and then has to get the rotavec milk if any of these are missed we loose the calf. Also shed are disenfected with oocide. The reason i have all these diseases is that i bought in from different farms when i was building up and i also bought in their diseases, took a long time to sort the whole thing out but thankfully we are getting there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

usally take them away quick enough just find any suck makes the the cow and the calf more restless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

at the next milking, compact spring caling so i batch the calves together on the milk bar with colostrum teats from birth in what i call the colostrum pen and then on to batch of 8, this year turned out at 3 weeks, never looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Why calve cows now
    Is this not the most un-profitable month to calve
    Long time to next springs grass

milkprofit wrote: »
    Why calve cows now
    Is this not the most un-profitable month to calve
    Long time to next springs grass
    they also have after grass for august, september, october and november! when they will not be getting silage hopefully - welcome increase in milk volume tbh, also afair from my ag college days these are also well boosted at turn out to make their yield better than spring calvers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

whelan1 wrote: »
    they also have after grass for august, september, october and november! when they will not be getting silage hopefully - welcome increase in milk volume tbh, also afair from my ag college days these are also well boosted at turn out to make their yield better than spring calvers

maybe this one was used here before but i think it's worth repeating

YIELD IS VANITY
    PROFIT IS SANITY.

aug and sept are the two most expensive month to calve cows.
    teagasc have the figures done if some one wants to dig them up.

each to their own, is this the same teagasc that said there would be no superlevy again:)

whelan1 wrote: »
    each to their own, is this the same teagasc that said there would be no superlevy again:)

yup, the same teagasc, that with out, farming in ireland, would be going no where. dont agree with every thing the say. but would very sorely miss them if they weren't there.

every one shouted "no superlevy", the problem was every one jumped.

ye i have alot of time for teagasc, its just knowing when to close your ears

• Advertisement
Advertisement