Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could this be done in Ireland with farm waste ?

• 13-08-2011 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

http://www.poet.com/innovation/cellulosic/projectliberty/index.asp
    Project LIBERTY will be POET's first commercial-scale, cellulosic ethanol plant. Scheduled to begin operations in Iowa in 2013, it will produce 25 million gallons of ethanol per year from corncobs, leaves and husks, provided by farmers in the area around Emmetsburg, Iowa.

The plant will share infrastructure with the adjacent POET Biorefining -- Emmetsburg. Roads, land and other features will be shared, and the co-product from the cellulosic ethanol process will be biogas, enough to power both ethanol plants.

POET will expand cellulosic ethanol production within the POET network and license the technology to other ethanol producers. We will also work to tweak the technology so that it works for other forms of biomass, like grasses or woodchips. Altogether, POET plans to be involved in the production of 3.5 billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

it could, but we aint a major corn (maize) growing country. the tricky bit after combining maize is the collection of the corncob ie the piece the grains stick onto. Anyhow how many acres of Maize are combined in Ireland each year, I would say a good bit less than 500 acres. So all in all, it wouldnt be possible on commercial scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

it could, but we aint a major corn (maize) growing country. the tricky bit after combining maize is the collection of the corncob ie the piece the grains stick onto. Anyhow how many acres of Maize are combined in Ireland each year, I would say a good bit less than 500 acres. So all in all, it wouldnt be possible on commercial scale

They use maize waste because they grow corn.

Cellulose is in all plant waste, example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

zod wrote: »
    They use maize waste because they grow corn.

Cellulose is in all plant waste, example

True, but most of these plants work on a consistent raw material so you can't use waste carrots on monday. celery on tues etc Its a by product plant so you don't want to end up growing a crop specifically for ethanol production. So your looking at a high volume crop in Ireland with high waste levels. Parsnips would be good because typically waste levels are 40% but you wouldn't have the volume fo keep a plant running. Already produce waste crops are sold off as cattle feed or spread on the land.

Corn plants have always been a high waste plant because your lucky to get 4-5 cobs off a 7-9 feet high plant. Some research a few years back was done into using the stem to produce a cellulose based plastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It could possibly be done but it won't be economically viable. I don't think anaerobic digestion would be viable either without some sort of Gov support to get the ball rolling. Does anybody on here know anything about ethanol from sugar beet, how viable would that be?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Brazil use sugarcane, I imagine sugarbeet would suffice- open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Parsnips would be good because typically waste levels are 40% but you wouldn't have the volume fo keep a plant running.

I didnt realise parsnips had such a rejection rate, Anyone got contacts for waste parsnips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Maize production in Ireland is more like 12,000 ha!

500 acres!? Lads Ireland isn't that small!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

He said Combinable harvesting, big difference between that and harvesting maize for silage, which is what is normally done here in Ireland with Maize

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Acutally i would say its much more than that. The majority of maize is produced in the south and east. There is none in the north and west. So its likely to be in a much more confined area than you are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

blue5000 wrote: »
    It could possibly be done but it won't be economically viable. I don't think anaerobic digestion would be viable either without some sort of Gov support to get the ball rolling. Does anybody on here know anything about ethanol from sugar beet, how viable would that be?

we done work for a couple of the anaerobic digestion in the north but the price of electric up there is dear enough to justify them but not in thr south

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Acutally i would say its much more than that. The majority of maize is produced in the south and east. There is none in the north and west. So its likely to be in a much more confined area than you are saying.
    Maize is grown in practically every county and as blue5000 said very little of it is grown for corn. 99.99% is harvested whole, chopped and ensiled as feed for cattle. There are practically no cobs available

I didnt realise parsnips had such a rejection rate, Anyone got contacts for waste parsnips?

Yes, only about 4 large growers left mainly around North Co Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

blue5000 wrote: »

Sugarbeet is as good as anyother feedstock for ethanol production. Good yields per acre far as I remember.

harry21 wrote: »
    Sugarbeet is as good as anyother feedstock for ethanol production. Good yields per acre far as I remember.

Yes but then you would be growing a crop specifically for ethanol production not using the unused waste from the crop as a fuel source, so only one cash stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

This is a cellulosic ethanol plant. its the next generation of ethonol production. It doesnt use sugar or starch from grain or cane but instead uses things like waste wood, straw or switchgrass. It breaks down the celulose in these cheaper feedstocks to produce the ethonol

if it was set up in ireland it would probably use straw or grass as a feedstock

Advertisement