Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water coming up through floor?

• 13-08-2011 9:52am
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

thought I had the shed sorted as there were so many leaks. Now I have discovered that when it rains non stop for a long time water seams to appear on the floor near the outer wall and away from the outer wall. On the wall itself you can see the dampness shade getting thinner as it goes up, which I suppose can only mean the dampness is coming from below.
    Can I use Thompsons water seal on this? Will it help? The shed is 15 yrs old. I am a new resident in the house. Can I also use this on the inside of the wall? Its 4 inch block. The floor is concrete, not finished to a smooth finish but seams to be all poured in one go an just left as there is a major roughness to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Is the rainwater piped or are there soakaways at the gulleys, also is there any soiled piled up against the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You say the wall is 4". Is that 4" block? is it laid on edge or on flat? is it plastered inside and out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Hi Eamon,
    Is the ground on the outside shed particularly swampy ?
    a french drain on the outside of the shed might help..

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks lads,

yes 4 inch block on the edge. Unplastered walls. No pipes or soakaways that I can see. Galvanize roof sloping back. Its the back wall that has problems but again near the wall it is coming up through the floor. The ground in general is not swampy, more rocky than anything else. 3 feet behind the shed is the boundary wall. Behind that a field. The field and site all slope down toward the road. But in general the site is very high, on top of a hill.

hi Lads,

have ye left me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Maybe a pic would help?

ok next time it rains heavy Ill post some pics.

Whats a french drain?

Advertisement