Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Rented apartment and the problems we have

Options
  • 13-08-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Seeking some advice here.

First off we've been living in our apartment for about 4 months now and not one month has gone by where we havent had a problem...

first off the boiler was missing a component and would rattle uncontrollably when filling, took 4 weeks to get that fixed.

The curtain rails are being pulled from the wall and are nearly hanging off the wall.

We have mould growing at the windows and near the doors, is this a sign of poor ventilation or something much worse?

And last but by certainly the worst...

Our shower is leaking, badly. Its making pools of water in the bathroom, and also now to our horror has leaked into the spare room causing under the wooden floor to become soaked and raised. The floor is now black inbetween the wooden panels with what we can only assume is mould too...

We've contacted the letting company and they sent out a handyman who sealed the shower and told us to callback if it happens again.... happened the next morning. Guy is now on holidays till next tuesday...

He also told us that a humidifier would sort out the spare room... is this ture?

So my question is, what sort of recourse do we have here, can these problems be fixed or should we demand some sort of compansation or even move for health reasons?

Sorry for the rant,

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Start looking for somewhere else to live. It's a renter's market out there. There is no reason why you should have to put up with that. Throughout the years I've rented about a dozen properties and some were fantastic, while orhers were really bad.

You develop an eye for problems when assessing your next place to live. Check corners of all rooms and cupboards, wardrobes, etc for mold. Check the heating system, BER rating, etc. Check the lease & haggle some of the terms in your favour. Things like how, when & why you you'll get your full deposit back.

I say this for your next place because I'd leave the one ur in. If it was let get that bad, then that says a lot. Teach your landlord/lady how to treat you. There are plenty of really good ones out there that know their obligations to tennants.

So that's my advice. You are not a prisoner there. Don't waste your energy trying to fix it when there's probably a cheaper / nicer place nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Vicxas wrote: »
    He also told us that a humidifier would sort out the spare room... is this ture?

Id be inclined to think you would need a bulldozer to sort it by the sounds of things
    So my question is, what sort of recourse do we have here, can these problems be fixed or should we demand some sort of compansation or even move for health reasons?

Can they fixed? Im sure they could, the right people and price could eventually sort it out.

I think the question you need to ask is "Realistically, will they be fixed?". Nope! If the landlord let the property slide that far downhill, they dont care about the place and want people who are happy to live in squaller and not complain - hence why you are getting the sluggish responses and "handymen" to do piss-poor patch jobs.

Compensation? Uphill battle for little or no reward.

Move for health reasons? Yes! I wouldnt hang around, place sounds like a cesspit, you dont know what its doing to you long term.
    Sorry for the rant

Ranting is good for the soul.

Advertisement