Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocks and stuff

Options
  • 13-08-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Ive been given a list of things to get from my blocklayer, Ive sent it off to a fw of the suppliers around the area but being impatient can anyone let me know roughly how much I will be looking at.

Firstly is there much of a difference in buying blocks from a builders providers or direct from the likes of roadstone

550 x 4" block
    100 x 9" block
    200 x stock brick
    1 tonne cement
    heads (4" x 3") 4 x 2.5m, 4 x16m, 2 x 1.35m
    cills 2 x 1.35m
    Radon barrier x 1 roll with box of tape
    4 x wall starters
    Damp course, 1 roll of 9", 1 roll of 13"
    2 gallons of mortorsizer
    5.5m3 of readymix
    32sqm of K3 140mm kingspan or equivilant (any advice on this would be great, house at the moment is, going by kingspans estimates, "D" rated)
    35sqm of K17 92.5mm
    35sqm of K12 100mm
    Again if there is an equivilant out there that will give me the same rate and cheaper Ill have a look at that

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

hairyslug wrote: »
    Ive been given a list of things to get from my blocklayer, Ive sent it off to a fw of the suppliers around the area but being impatient can anyone let me know roughly how much I will be looking at.

Firstly is there much of a difference in buying blocks from a builders providers or direct from the likes of roadstone

550 x 4" block
    100 x 9" block
    200 x stock brick
    1 tonne cement
    heads (4" x 3") 4 x 2.5m, 4 x16m, 2 x 1.35m
    cills 2 x 1.35m
    Radon barrier x 1 roll with box of tape
    4 x wall starters
    Damp course, 1 roll of 9", 1 roll of 13"
    2 gallons of mortorsizer
    32sqm of K3 140mm kingspan or equivilant (any advice on this would be great, house at the moment is, going by kingspans estimates, "D" rated)
    35sqm of K17 92.5mm
    35sqm of K12 100mm
    Again if there is an equivilant out there that will give me the same rate and cheaper Ill have a look at that

Cheers
    Hi hairy, I'm just curious here but,

If this is to bring the footings to floor level, why is there a need to get Heads and cills now? I'm sure the 16m heads is a typo. Is there no radon box or pipework? What are 9" blocks (cavity) doing in footings? Why the variety of insulations and why is there no perimiter insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Sorry, should be 1.6m, (walls going up as well
    Radon box and pipe: builder has one from a previous job
    9 inch blocks for a seperate job, might as well throw it in, may get a better deal if Im buying the rest now
    To be honest, the perimeter insulation wasnt on the list, will ask him about it
    Im looking at getting the k12 between the studs and k17 over it or it that overkill, again questions I will ask the builder

Again to be honest, I have little experience of this so im going on the advice of friends who are either carpenters or where blocklayers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hairyslug wrote: »
    Sorry, should be 1.6m, (walls going up as well
    Radon box and pipe: builder has one from a previous job
    9 inch blocks for a seperate job, might as well throw it in, may get a better deal if Im buying the rest now
    To be honest, the perimeter insulation wasnt on the list, will ask him about it
    Im looking at getting the k12 between the studs and k17 over it or it that overkill, again questions I will ask the builder

Again to be honest, I have little experience of this so im going on the advice of friends who are either carpenters or where blocklayers.
    eh maybe you should get someone to advise you who knows what the current building regulations are?

Advertisement