Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Particular [prepaid credit] card

• 13-08-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to remember a type of debit card that was advertised in a paper or on a flyer that was dropped through the door last month...

I think it was kind of similar to the O2 money card but charges were much less.

It was just a flat fee per year and I think transaction fees were a certain percentage, capped at maybe 20c or 30c a transaction.

You could have money withdrawn from it into a back account and people could make payments into you card, but possibly limited to people with the same card (not sure about that).

I think you could receive money internationally without attracting fees other than the standard one.

I remember it peaking my interest at the time, but buying online was the last thing on my mind at the time.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Oh and I think it was a Visa, but again I'm not 100%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Banking forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The two I know of are

https://www.3v.ie/

and

http://www.payzonemoney.com/

My personal advice is to stay the hell away from Payzone. I've found 3V to be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I did not see the advert you spoke about however I looked up on the internet and found the following
    www.moneybookers.com/Prepaid-MasterCard - it has chip and pin.

Only €10 annual fee, no monthly fees
    Free online/offline shopping transactions
    ATM cash withdrawal at fixed €1.80 fee, in Ireland or abroad
    Foreign exchange only 1.99% [?]
    also Save €6 each time you fly with Ryanair!
    Ryanair charges an administration fee of €6, except when payments are made by a Prepaid MasterCard card

I have looked up the 3v, swirl, ruby card and the O2 card and the fees are all higher than the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Bingo... thought it might be after I mentioned it to a friend. He said moneybookers straight away.

Much appreciated guys.

Here are the details of it.

http://www.moneybookers.com/ads/mastercard/
    How Moneybookers works

How to top up:
    • Receive money
    • Upload via bank transfer
    • Upload via debit or credit card
    • Upload via 80 other local methods
    Then:
    • Shop online
    • Pay in stores or restaurants
    • Get cash from ATMs worldwide
    Moneybookers Prepaid MasterCard and Digital Wallet can be used wherever the MasterCard acceptance Mark is displayed

The Moneybookers MasterCard® card is a reloadable prepaid card which is a great way to stay on top of your spending. The card’s balance is linked to your Moneybookers account balance, just like a debit card is linked to the funds on a bank account. To use it, just upload funds to your Moneybookers account and pay as you go everywhere MasterCard cards are accepted.

Your everyday card
    You can use your prepaid MasterCard to shop online, to pay in stores or restaurants and to withdraw cash at over 1.5 million ATM’s worldwide.
    The card is great to share money with family, for travelling or just to manage your budget better. Also, the card gives you instant access to all the money you receive on your Moneybookers account!

No credit check
    The Moneybookers card is a reloadable prepaid card, which means there are no credit checks or even a bank account required to get a card.

The Moneybookers Digital Wallet
    The FREE Moneybookers account, that comes with your card, offers you:
    • Low-cost international money transfers: send and receive money in over 200 countries and territories worldwide for only €0.50
    • Pay online at over 90,000 online shops and use anywhere the MasterCard Acceptance Mark is displayed without revealing your financial details
    • Access to get great deals offered exclusively to Moneybookers customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Have been using Moneybookers several years now, and im really happy for the service.

You can even top up with Laser card without extra charges!
    I also travel lot with Ryanair, that card has saved me a small fortune :)
    Recons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Is there an anual government duty or any other hidden charges on this card other than what it says on website??

Nope, only the charges visible on the webpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Is there any upper limit on how much you can put on the monebookers card?

Also, would it be accepted for things like services in a hotel (ie the hold applied on check in for room service) or renting a car? Just wondering as I have seen Visa debit refused for these purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Is their any point to the Moneybookers Card if you have a Visa Debit Card?

Is their any point to the Moneybookers Card if you have a Visa Debit Card?

Yes, if you book Ryanairs flight for example, they dont charge the card service fee (for now...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement