Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options
  • 13-08-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I'm currently sourcing a set of winter tyres for my 335i but I'm finding it very difficult to find a set!

The tyres are are:

225/35 R19
    255/30 R19

Any suggestions?

I reckon I'm going to need winter tyres this year!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I use Cooper Weathermaster Snow on my 5 series, couldn't find them in your size though.

I've heard some good reports on the Vredestein winters - link

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I think the best option might be to drop to 18's, will give me a much better choice.

Personally I think winter tyres will be a must on the 335.

For some reason Eiretyres weren't showing any last time I checked.

Achilles are €93 versus Dunlop at €316!! Any difference?

The 255/30 are going to be the hard ones to find.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

IIRC your running 225M wheels yeah?

I think you'd be mad to buy winter tyres and fit them to the 19" set up then back again for the summer.

If i was you, i'd buy a set of 18" MV3 alloys and fit the winters to them. The tyres will be cheaper and you can swap wheels around yourself as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

You'd be better off trying to find a smaller rim and smaller tyre and stick them on when/if it snows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Get a set of 17s off adverts stick them on in nov.
    [/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Stick to camskill.

eiretyres do steelies with winters delivered.

http://www.eiretyres.com/Steel_wheels.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

JJJJNR wrote: »

Seems to make life easier than sourcing steel's and tyres separately. What would be recommendation on running snow tyres - would it be sufficient to just have them on the driving wheels? - fronts/rears etc.

I was considering just having a front pair for each car.

Brings me back to seeing someone during snow in Jan 2010 digging out their front wheels when stuck... they were driving a 520D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

good find, didnt know they doing steel wheels, invest around 500 euro, trouble free winter motoring for another 3-5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Mar4ix wrote: »
    good find, didnt know they doing steel wheels, invest around 500 euro, trouble free winter motoring for another 3-5 years.

How effective are snow tyres climbing high ground on a FWD car. I couldnt even leave my house last year. Will the Vredstrein snow tracs make a difference????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

-Corkie- wrote: »
    How effective are snow tyres climbing high ground on a FWD car. I couldnt even leave my house last year. Will the Vredstrein snow tracs make a difference????

These are vredestein wintrac extremes, not sure if they are more or less grippy

Thats impressive allthough the hill up to my place is much steeper....

Corkie, u need all winters on your car, I had winters up front and had a few hairy moments when turning corners, I then got some for the back and it was like 4wd. I've huge hills to climb and was able to get up all of them.

Corkie, u need all winters on your car, I had winters up front and had a few hairy moments when turning corners, I then got some for the back and it was like 4wd. I've huge hills to climb and was able to get up all of them.

I will definitley get 4 allright. I was fed up walking 3 miles to the shop last year and falling all over the place.. My place is 290M over sea level according to the sat nav so I have to get something decent. I cant afford a 4x4 either atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Going above 17" for Winters makes it very hard and expensive to find tyres! Just grab a set of 17" as noted. I wouldnt bother with steel wheels as they look totally pants and used 17" alloys are cheap and readily available (donedeal, ebay, bmw-drivers.net forums etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Going above 17" for Winters makes it very hard and expensive to find tyres! Just grab a set of 17" as noted. I wouldnt bother with steel wheels as they look totally pants and used 17" alloys are cheap and readily available (donedeal, ebay, bmw-drivers.net forums etc).
    +1, i'd even go to 16" if they'll fit over the brakes.

Anan1 wrote: »
    +1, i'd even go to 16" if they'll fit over the brakes.

335 only takes 17" + as far as I'm aware....

• Advertisement

Do you use your winter tyres all winter or just during the spells of very bad weather...

I've read that winter tyres are supposed to be of benefit once the temp is below 7 degrees....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Excuse my ignorance, are winter tyres and snow tyres the same thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Shane732 wrote: »
    Do you use your winter tyres all winter or just during the spells of very bad weather...

I've read that winter tyres are supposed to be of benefit once the temp is below 7 degrees....

Put them on when the temp drops consistantly below 7 when you are driving (Mornings, Late October to End Feb most likely).

@washman3 - Yes, generally are considered the same thing, but its bad practice to call them "Snow" tyres as it:

a) Implies they are for snow usage when infact they are Temp/Season designed, not Snow vs no-snow.
    b) Some people reserve the term "Snow tyres" for full on Nordic style studded Winter tyres, which is why there is annual confusion on "snow/winter tyres damage the road".

The tyres we are discussing are most correctly called Studless Winter tyres. And yes, Studless Winter tyres are excellent in the snow and good on ice (way better than summers but not as good as studded tyres on ice). They are also excellent on dry but cold pavement/road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Thanks. Good info.
    Actually saw those steel studded tyres before on youtube.
    Dont really look suitable for Irish conditions as they seem to destroy both the road and themselves in places where snow is light or patchy.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I'm comming from country, where winter is 3 - 4 months., and it is illegal drive car with summer tires. I cant suggest you which tires are better, cos there is so many people , and every one have own opinion. I could suggest you find review sites ( http://www.tirestest.com/, www.tirerack.com, www.tirereview.com/ etc. ), and choose such tire, which you think is best.
    From my own experience, have to put all 4 tires, if you put only on one axle , it wont help at all.
    There is significant difference between drive proper winter tire or summer tire in winter time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wTg0l3_wI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Ah jaysus guys, come on, I know its been another **** summer, but it is still only August!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

+1

Good sample of what happens with only 2 tyres on in this vid

Ah jaysus guys, come on, I know its been another **** summer, but it is still only August!

You might wont believe me, but winter tires in summer time are cheaper, than in winter, and summer tires cheaper in winter time. now is proper time get ready car for winter (at least cheaper).
    I even recently changed clutch and gearbox, because by wining and rattling sound, one of them goin fail in middle winter..... and im not fancy change gearbox/clutch in winter time on my driveway.

copacetic wrote: »
    +1

Good sample of what happens with only 2 tyres on in this vid

Cant understand why they do test with two different class car. One is small compact class, other family middle class. Whatever tires they have, they goin react on snow different ways, over different weight and wheel base.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Cant understand why they do test with two different class car. One is small compact class, other family middle class. Whatever tires they have, they goin react on snow different ways, over different weight and wheel base.

That's why they swopped the tyres over to show how they worked on both cars? :confused:

Advertisement