Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

niallam wrote: »

Ordered a set of these today for when the winter comes :D
    Not e marked or road legal but advised by a WRC mechanic they'll do a far better job :)

What is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

CiniO wrote: »
    What is this?
    I'd like to know too. If it's WRC recommended then it must be good.
    I've ordered 4 vredestein snowtrac 3 tyres and am due to receive them this week. Bring on the snow!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Could ya not give a proper answer to the fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Just bought my set of winters from walkinstown tyres. 2 are continental and 2 are Uniroyal. The thread on them is pretty decent. Put them on alloys I got today from tom Walsh in baldoyle. He has a treasure trove of second hand stuff. Two of the alloys came with summers that were nearly new so they will do for when I need to update. All I need now is a jack. My bloody car doesn't have one as it has a tube of gunk for when you get a flat. Bring on-the-snow.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Digipass

my Ford focus uses 195/60 R15 normally. I see that eiretyre's Winter tyres are a bit cheaper for size 195/65 R15 . Would these fit my focus?

:p

a rally mechanic said that that type of tire is better than a road tire but they're not road legal????
    Was my first post really that hard to figure out what they were??? :confused:

:p

a rally mechanic said that that type of tire is better than a road tire but they're not road legal????
    Was my first post really that hard to figure out what they were??? :confused:

You just put the picture...
    I'm interested in make and model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Digipass wrote: »
    my Ford focus uses 195/60 R15 normally. I see that eiretyre's Winter tyres are a bit cheaper for size 195/65 R15 . Would these fit my focus?

yep they will, i have the same on my fusion, but got the 195 65 r15 in the winters for the car as they are more readily available.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

Not e marked or road legal but advised by a WRC mechanic they'll do a far better job :)
    You just put the picture...

Thought i'd typed that?

Anyway check out demon-tweeks.co.uk
    Maxsport are terrible for rally cars he said but will still work far better on a road car than a normal snow tire. His own father used gravel tires last winter, part worn off a wrc car, out of all our price range probably still, even part worn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Digipass

rameire wrote: »
    yep they will, i have the same on my fusion, but got the 195 65 r15 in the winters for the car as they are more readily available.

thanks....you you know if the "H" rating or "T" rating really makes a difference?

Digipass wrote: »
    thanks....you you know if the "H" rating or "T" rating really makes a difference?

Except that T is up to 190km/h and H up to 210km/h there isn't really any other difference.

Most winter tyres though, would be T marked anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Digipass, The T rating (up to 190kph, thanks Cinio) is probably 3 times more than we'd need in ice and snow.
    By all means buy the higher rated tyre but you'll only lighten your wallet by more than necessary.

This winter will be my first on winters so i'm guessing maybe 70kph at the most (optimistic guess!) on heavily snowed and iced roads? Any more is a risk not worth taking in my opinion.

shedweller wrote: »
    Digipass, The T rating (up to 190kph, thanks Cinio) is probably 3 times more than we'd need in ice and snow.
    By all means buy the higher rated tyre but you'll only lighten your wallet by more than necessary.

This winter will be my first on winters so i'm guessing maybe 70kph at the most (optimistic guess!) on heavily snowed and iced roads? Any more is a risk not worth taking in my opinion.

But during the winter you you drive on dry surface as well, where you can do bigger speeds.

Besides - 70km/h on snowed road is not that fast, while 70km/h on ice road without studded tyres is probably only for kamikazes ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

I'm going getting new alloys during the week for my ford kuga awd for winters,I do alot of driving so decided to go for winters for safety.in 2 minds don't know whether to get new nankang sv2 @ €100 each or go for part worns which might b a better brand. Do yee think the nankangs should be good enough,size would b 235/55/17

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

gearoidol wrote: »
    I'm going getting new alloys during the week for my ford kuga awd for winters,I do alot of driving so decided to go for winters for safety.in 2 minds don't know whether to get new nankang sv2 @ €100 each or go for part worns which might b a better brand. Do yee think the nankangs should be good enough,size would b 235/55/17
    I'd get 16" rims with narrower high quality winter tyres. You'll save money and you'll be safer.

Edit: Actually, 235/55 is quite a high sidewall anyway - I don't even know whether you could get, say, a 215 width tyre in 16" that would keep your overall radius? Maybe 215/65 R16 would do it?

Second edit: According to my quick calculation, a 215/65 R16 would do the job - you might want to get independent confirmation that your overall diameter will be unchanged, though. If it will then that's what i'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I wonder what your insurer's view would be if you were involved in a collision while driving in a public place on non-legal tyres. They'll cover any 3rd party liability as that's the law but they might like to come after you for the payout. This what AXA say on the subject
    7 Looking after your car
    You must do all you can to prevent injury to other people and protect your car and keep it in a roadworthy condition. If you do not do this, your right to claim under your policy may be affected.
    You must let us examine your car at any reasonable time if we ask to do this.
    You should ensure that:
    - your car, car windows and sun roofs are locked and security devices
    activated when your car is unattended.
    - tyres on your car are within the legal requirements.
    - you put personal belongings in the boot when your car is unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Anan1 wrote: »
    gearoidol wrote: »
    I'd get 16" rims with narrower high quality winter tyres. You'll save money and you'll be safer.

Edit: Actually, 235/55 is quite a high sidewall anyway - I don't even know whether you could get, say, a 215 width tyre in 16" that would keep your overall radius? Maybe 215/65 R16 would do it?

Second edit: According to my quick calculation, a 215/65 R16 would do the job - you might want to get independent confirmation that your overall diameter will be unchanged, though. If it will then that's what i'd go for.

Thanks anan but id rather stick to 17 as Im hoping they will fit the new ford vertrek coming out next year and I might be safer sticking to 17 to ensure they would clear the breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

fletch wrote: »
    Winter tyres arrived today....they feel a lot more rubbery than Summer tyres....bring on the snow now! :)

What did you go for and what price?

I've a primera T spec with 17 x 215/50's and am undecided about getting a cheap set of 16's and then fit 205/60's for the winter,

Higher profile for comfort and the 16's are a good bit cheaper and have a wider range available.

Also half considering second hand winters.

I've to get tyres for my car and the wife's Jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I got a set for the OH's Focus on second hand steelies (205/55/16). I thoroughly inspected the interior of the tyres/sidewalls etc, they were perfect.

2x Vredestein Snowtrac 3's with approx 7mm thread. Snow scores was extremely high (1,5) on [url]www.tyretest.com:[/url] linky

The thread pattern is amazing on them. Looks like they can crawl there way through a LOT of snow or mud
    21187.jpg

2x Michelin Aplin A3's, also with approx 6mm thread. The snow score is nearly as good (1.8) linky

€160 including fitting/balancing etc (+price of the steelies) :D

Both brands seem to pop up on loads of websites of tyre comparisons done by magazines etc, so all I can say is....BRING IT ON!

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I wonder what your insurer's view would be if you were involved in a collision while driving in a public place on non-legal tyres. They'll cover any 3rd party liability as that's the law but they might like to come after you for the payout. This what AXA say on the subject

Just like saying if you crash with no NCT on your car than you have to pay out too as your car is not certified roadworthy. I'll take my chances to be honest but thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just like saying if you crash with no NCT on your car than you have to pay out too as your car is not certified roadworthy. I'll take my chances to be honest but thanks :)

Well not really a valid comparison. The NCT certificate is not a measure of current worthiness, just that the car was road worthy at the time of testing. Many insurance companies don't specify it as a requirement. You could stick dodgy tyres back on (as some allegedly do) or hit a pothole and render a tyre not roadworthy on the way home from the test centre. The cert is still valid but the tyre is not, that's why the emphasis is on the car's condition at the time of an accident.

Anyway, I just thought I'd alert you to the possible insurance risks, at least you're not chancing driving on bald tyres. Be ready to become amazed at all the extra grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

mullingar wrote: »
    2x Vredestein Snowtrac 3's with approx 7mm thread.

2x Michelin Aplin A3's, also with approx 6mm thread.
    €160 including fitting/balancing etc (+price of the steelies) :D

Could you tell me where you got the tyrels from, sounds like a great price all in.
    (Is there a clue in your username ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

what is the normal/average thread dept for new winter tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

pa990 wrote: »
    what is the normal/average thread dept for new winter tyres?
    9.5mm (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Whats the average going for a snow tyre ?

eiretyres is showing about €50 per tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Whats the average going for a snow tyre ?

eiretyres is showing about €50 per tyre.

i dont know... im from Barcelona !

anyway i dont really fancy taking the tyres of the rims just to swap them around so i'll gladly get any old crappy second hand rims just for snow tyres for all fours.

anyone any idea on where to get rims that would fit this ?

also best place for snow tyres without ordering online ?

img0111zk.jpg

img0112cw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

me too ordered winter tires - Michelin Alpin A3 165/65 R14... for my puntie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

robbie_998 wrote: »
    i dont know... im from Barcelona !

lol,why did you answer your own question?

Advertisement