Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

robbie_998 wrote: »
    anyone any idea on where to get rims that would fit this ?

Check the fitment for you car here , then go hunting on donedeal for a set that will fit. Usually lots of options from other brands that will fit.

I picked up a half decent set of 16"s for under €80 on donedeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

More than likely you'll find at least one on the spare.

That means you need one less rim.

If the spare tyre is worn, put a new winter tyre on it.
    If the spare tyre is new, put a winter tyre on the spare rim, and buy a matching summer tyre - Hey presto you have a pair of new summer tyres for the good weather.

For some reason, lots of people let their spare tyre and rim go to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Hiace. wrote: »

More than likely you'll find at least one on the spare.

That means you need one less rim.

If the spare tyre is worn, put a new winter tyre on it.
    If the spare tyre is new, put a winter tyre on the spare rim, and buy a matching summer tyre - Hey presto you have a pair of new summer tyres for the good weather.

For some reason, lots of people let their spare tyre and rim go to waste.

My spare is a space saver piece of crap. And again I have a bottle of gunk for flat wheels.

I will gladly buy rims and I really dont care what they look like. Like anything cheap alloy or even factory black ugly wheel .. Just get 4 and Id be happy but can I put any wheel on with the 5 nuts ?

Like would there be a specific size rim to get for my car ?

Once i get the rims I can worry about the snow tyres later once I know what I'm getting

My spare is a space saver piece of crap. And again I have a bottle of gunk for flat wheels.

I will gladly buy rims and I really dont care what they look like. Like anything cheap alloy or even factory black ugly wheel .. Just get 4 and Id be happy but can I put any wheel on with the 5 nuts ?

Like would there be a specific size rim to get for my car ?

Once i get the rims I can worry about the snow tyres later once I know what I'm getting

Try a breakers,

e.g. Traynors deliver all over Ireland. http://www.traynors.co.uk/

Also http://www.partfinder.ie/ lists cars being broken for parts in yards all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Rob,
    try Tom Walsh Motors in Baldoyle tel 8323516.
    he deals in Honda's ( Becky had a heart attack looking at all the new civics ) and has a treasure trove of second hand parts including wheels upstairs.
    ask for Pat.

as for winters check walkinstown tyres, only down the road from you.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    Rob,
    try Tom Walsh Motors in Baldoyle tel 8323516.
    he deals in Honda's ( Becky had a heart attack looking at all the new civics ) and has a treasure trove of second hand parts including wheels upstairs.
    ask for Pat.

as for winters check walkinstown tyres, only down the road from you.

Cheers bob !

Will have a go around in the morning .. Since for Christmas I will be in either dunboyne or athy or possibly both I'd rather be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

A-Trak wrote: »
    mullingar wrote: »
    2x Vredestein Snowtrac 3's with approx 7mm thread.

2x Michelin Aplin A3's, also with approx 6mm thread.
    €160 including fitting/balancing etc (+price of the steelies) :D

Could you tell me where you got the tyrels from, sounds like a great price all in.
    (Is there a clue in your username ;))

Search on donedeal: roscommon winter tyres;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Tires i ordered from demon-tweeks arrived this morning :) And to my surprise they are E marked :O Ordered them saturday and arrived this morning :)

Serious threads on them for the winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

niallam wrote: »
    Tires i ordered from demon-tweeks arrived this morning :) And to my surprise they are E marked :O Ordered them saturday and arrived this morning :)

Throw us up a photo of these mysterious WRC tyres anyhow!

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Throw us up a photo of these mysterious WRC tyres anyhow!

On closer inspection they're also studdable :)

4zt4r5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

tom fox in ballinasloe selling bmw replicas with winter tyres (5 series ) for 250 each

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

On closer inspection they're also studdable smile.gif

We knew that already when you posted a picture of them few days ago.

Tread looks good, but they are not exactly winter tyres.
    Manufacturer described them as "grass tyres", mentioning they are good for snow or highly polished tracks. Link below:
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Wheels_Tyres/Competition_Tyres/Maxsport_Alaska_Tyre/1790/2236

Hence as well, they are not new tyres, but used retreaded tyres.

Considering all above, and their price, I would definitely prefer to buy brand new winter tyres for everyday use.

Those you bought, are handy for rallies, where you wear a set of them during one day.

CiniO wrote: »
    Tread looks good, but they are not exactly winter tyres.
    Manufacturer described them as "grass tyres", mentioning they are good for snow or highly polished tracks. Link below:

Hence as well, they are not new tyres, but used retreaded tyres.

Considering all above, and their price, I would definitely prefer to buy brand new winter tyres for everyday use.

Those you bought, are handy for rallies, where you wear a set of them during one day.

"Especially Suited To Snow"
    "Alaska" and the snow symbols on them would lean me towards them being for snow more than grass too.

I'm taking my advice from someone that has worked on wrc cars for the last 30 years, he used a gravel tire himself last year during the snow on his car and said they are far better than road snow tires. Get him to stick a few studs into them too...

And they're not really for everyday use, maybe 3 weeks of the year, 20 kms a day and at a slow speed, bit different to heading off on a few snow stages i think... I have snow tires i used last year and will just stick them back on if i do find them to have been better, which i doubt.

"

I'm taking my advice from someone that has worked on wrc cars for the last 30 years,

Funny you should say that, as WRC cars are there only for last 14 years.

Other funny thing is, that just few minutes ago in other thread, you were strongly discouraging someone form buying used tyres, while the ones you bought are used and retreaded.

Good luck with them anyway.
    I'll be interested to know how they performed on the snow.

CiniO wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, as WRC cars are there only for last 14 years.

Other funny thing is, that just few minutes ago in other thread, you were strongly discouraging someone form buying used tyres, while the ones you bought are used and retreaded.

Good luck with them anyway.
    I'll be interested to know how they performed on the snow.

Stop being such a spa, rally cars and wrc cars, happy... :rolleyes:

"strongly discouraging" ??? they wanted tires for a ford focus, doubt they are interested in anything other than a road tire. The ones i bought are new, ie not second hand and part worn...

You seem to have a problem with every post i make?

Anyway done replying to you and your issues, i'm happy with what i got, you dont seem to be but not your problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

After having a nightmare on snow last year and following threads here since, in particular this one, I have now ensured we wont see any snow at all by getting me and the wife a set of winters each :D

I got a set of 15 inch alloys with Continentals fitted for the wife's Fusion and 16 inch steels for my Focus with Michelin Alpin's on all from Car Clinic Dublin (they have adverts on Gumtree and are on Facebook). For whoever earlier said they were struggling to get alloys for a Fusion, these guys had 4 sets when I was in. Very good and helpful service. Part worn are all 5-7mm and I picked the ones that looked the best.

I'm always happy ;)
    "strongly discouraging" ??? they wanted tires for a ford focus, doubt they are interested in anything other than a road tire. The ones i bought are new, ie not second hand and part worn...
    True. They are not secondhand and not part worn.
    That doesn't change a fact, that they are remanufactured, which means that they used second hand tyre to put new tread on it.
    Here's some info.
    You seem to have a problem with every post i make?
    Anyway done replying to you and your issues, i'm happy with what i got, you dont seem to be but not your problem...

I didn't say I wasn't happy with your tyres.
    I'm acutally very curious how will they work on snow.
    Hope you'll let us know in few months..

BigMoose wrote: »
    After having a nightmare on snow last year and following threads here since, in particular this one, I have now ensured we wont see any snow at all by getting me and the wife a set of winters each :D

I got a set of 15 inch alloys with Continentals fitted for the wife's Fusion and 16 inch steels for my Focus with Michelin Alpin's on all from Car Clinic Dublin (they have adverts on Gumtree and are on Facebook). For whoever earlier said they were struggling to get alloys for a Fusion, these guys had 4 sets when I was in. Very good and helpful service. Part worn are all 5-7mm and I picked the ones that looked the best.

it was me, but got sorted elsewhere. cheers.
    did you have to pay much for the alloys.
    i paid 130 and on two of them i got good summer tyres that i can use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

100 for 4x15" alloys, which is possibly more than I could have paid if I'd hunted around adverts.ie but frankly couldn't be bothered and was happy to pay someone for their effort to get them. 50 for 4x16 steels for the Focus as he didn't have any 5 stud ford alloys in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Attack the post, not the poster. No more warnings will be given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Can anyone clarify the following for me while differentiating clearly between TYRES and WHEELS?

1. Do I need to buy new wheels/alloys or can Advance or someone else just pop the current tyres off the rims, replace them with winters, and swap them back again in spring;

2. Can I leave winter tyres on the car, in Irish conditions, from say Nvember to February, given it might not be snowy at all or only for a week or two of that time?

Cheers

sdeire wrote: »
    1. Do I need to buy new wheels/alloys or can Advance or someone else just pop the current tyres off the rims, replace them with winters, and swap them back again in spring;

You can avail of any of those 2 options.
    It's up to yourself to calculate which will come out cheaper.
    If you are planning to keep the car for another few years, probably good option would be to buy set of rims, fit winter tyres on them, and use them for next few winter seasons.
    Then cost of swapping between winter and summer would be low (about 5 to 10 minutes in the garage) or you can do it yourself with a jack.

For replacing tyres over one set of rims, you would have to pay usually something between 50 to 100 euros each time (so twice a year).

I'm acutally availing of this option.
    2. Can I leave winter tyres on the car, in Irish conditions, from say Nvember to February, given it might not be snowy at all or only for a week or two of that time?
    Yes you can.
    That's the main aim of winter tyres to use them during winter months.

Can anyone clarify the following for me while differentiating clearly between TYRES and WHEELS?

Cheers

The pedantic will disagree, but both those points are sensible options depending on your personal set up.

1. Will cost you about €10 - 20 per rim for fitting and balancing. Not a bad option, depending on your personal circumstances, and saves faffing about.

e.g. in Germany the norm is the local tyre places store your winter tyres for you for small fee and swap them over in winter for you.

2. Yep, not really a problem unless your planning on doing some very hard driving in summer tyre temps. In any case winter tyres are superior in all conditions (wet, dry, snow, rain) when outdoor temps are under 7 deg. C. Think of summers as three season tyres.

Some people say winters wear slightly faster than summers, but it's not by much.

Also a compromise is all season tyres, but they are a jack of all trades and master of none, and harder to get.

Another option :

On a budget run car that is not driven too hard, you could keep on two winters and two summers and rotate them to the front drive wheels depending on the time of year.

Ideally you really need 4 winter tyres on, but if your careful and only driving at low speeds in the snow, two is much better than none, and at normal speeds the rest of the year you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cheers
    1. Yes, but it's a lot more hassle - i'd get a cheap set of wheels for the winters.

2. Winter tyres will be better below 7 degrees C even on dry roads. I'm putting mine on around the start of Nov, and they'll probably stay on until March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads - I am glad to see so many people are being responsible motorists and buying winter tyres, however, I think people need to do some research.

WINTER TYRES ARE FOR ALL WINTER AND NOT JUST FOR SNOWY CONDITIONS.

Winter tyres outperform ordinary tyres in breaking from about +7 degrees downwards - so do yourself a favour and buy decent ones, stick them on in November and leave them there till March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Question answered 4 times in under 20 minutes, cheers x4 lads :)

I absolutely love the snowy and icy conditions, hooked to the weather forum for two months last year - the ONLY thing that pissed me off was not being able to GO anywhere easily. Hopefully gonna be able to afford a decent 4 winter tyres by the end of the month. I don't want to just get two because of the videos above!

tom walsh had nothing for me in the garage.....

so off to look around the breakers for some wheels

only problem is im crap at this.... all i know is my wheels are 16"

if i went to a breakers looking for any old wheels.. what other cars can i fetch from ? like make models that would match my car without doing any damage and the likes ?

i gots a 07 civic hatch 1.4 ... after that im lost.

once i get this bit i can then focus on the tyres themselves !

cheers all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

So....a tangent.....

Those of you with winter tyres - do you need/plan to inform your insurance about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

gearoidol wrote: »
    I'm going getting new alloys during the week for my ford kuga awd for winters,I do alot of driving so decided to go for winters for safety.in 2 minds don't know whether to get new nankang sv2 @ €100 each or go for part worns which might b a better brand. Do yee think the nankangs should be good enough,size would b 235/55/17

Why not go for a rethreaded tyres? They much better than part worn, you wouldnt tell the difference between the new one and rethreaded one, you will get at least 3 seasons out of it and it will cost around 50-60 euro each fitted and ballanced. You wouldnt be doing more than 120 km p/h in winter anyway so in my opinion thats the best price and quality equilibrium. Many garages are now taking orders so shop around.

• Advertisement

tom walsh had nothing for me in the garage.....

so off to look around the breakers for some wheels

only problem is im crap at this.... all i know is my wheels are 16"

if i went to a breakers looking for any old wheels.. what other cars can i fetch from ? like make models that would match my car without doing any damage and the likes ?

i gots a 07 civic hatch 1.4 ... after that im lost.

once i get this bit i can then focus on the tyres themselves !

cheers all

http://www.findapart.ie/Car_Parts_HONDA_CIVIC.html

http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

and if you want to take lovely pics the link below, hehe.

Advertisement