Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

tinner777 wrote: »
    lads is there any downside to just swapping the tyre's? If i can get it done for a tenner a wheel?
    tenner a wheel, twice a year is 80 quid. AND you're running your "good" rims through salt and grit. AND you have to make a trip to the tyre shop to get them swaped instead of just doing in when you want or need to.
    you have to store the tyres anyhow, may as well store then on rims, won't take any extra space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

lads is there any downside to just swapping the tyre's? If i can get it done for a tenner a wheel?
    kenmc wrote: »
    tenner a wheel, twice a year is 80 quid. AND you're running your "good" rims through salt and grit. AND you have to make a trip to the tyre shop to get them swaped instead of just doing in when you want or need to.
    you have to store the tyres anyhow, may as well store then on rims, won't take any extra space

hardly great for the tyre beads to taken on/off repeatedly but admittedly would prob take a couple years to notice by which time they would be worn out anyways.

49801 wrote: »
    hardly great for the tyre beads to taken on/off repeatedly but admittedly would prob take a couple years to notice by which time they would be worn out anyways.
    Aye, it might be harder on the alloys though, since they'd be getting changed twice as often as the tyres would be, and don't normally tend to "wear out" unlike tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

on the eire tyre site, if you select tyre's and steel wheels, i'm looking for focus style 1.6tdci, it shows a lists of focus sth or flh what does it mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

smack bang wallop !

COME ON SNOW ............. hit me baby :pac:

img0117pl.jpg

img0115ui.jpg

img0116ti.jpg

glad i came across these rims... the dates on them are from oct 2007 ... havent being used at all

their for civics too which was great :D

• Advertisement

on the eire tyre site, if you select tyre's and steel wheels, i'm looking for focus style 1.6tdci, it shows a lists of focus sth or flh what does it mean
    are they just the german models??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

robbie_998 wrote: »
    smack bang wallop !

glad i came across these rims... the dates on them are from oct 2007 ... havent being used at all

How much did it set you all back if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

How much did it set you all back if you don't mind me asking?

tyres including fitting, balancing and so on €160

Alloys inc. VAT €200

your man in EP Mooney said they've being lying there for donkeys and he wanted to just get rid of them at this stage so i got them on the cheap

Grand total €360

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

smack bang wallop !

ooohhh, shiny!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

What would these be like? Looking for winter tyres at the moment for my mx5. 185/60 r15. Would appreciate any other recommendations..

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=28217285.124.12986&kplz=&Cookie=&language=&typ=D-112596&dsco=124

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

jaffa20 wrote: »
    What would these be like? Looking for winter tyres at the moment for my mx5. 185/60 r15. Would appreciate any other recommendations..

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=28217285.124.12986&kplz=&Cookie=&language=&typ=D-112596&dsco=124

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodride/SW601.htm
    Excellent grip in the snow. We live in rural Aberdeenshire which has plenty of snow and ice thro' the winter. We do high mileages also and these tyres make sense as all year round tyres at £54 a tyre from Mytyres, they're cheaper than many ordinary summer tyres. I know they should be V rated but who's going to drive at 136 mph or in a style likey to heat them up to that temperature on rural A roads??
    If money is your thing, go and buy a pair of verdistines and pay £120 a tyre, otherwise these tyres make good sense and are an excellent all round tyre. (I had a pair of old Vredistines on my Forrester and they were very slippery in the wet and the dry).
    Tires were my budget choice for winter. Live in hilly place so we have snow and slush quite often winter time and as we do not have Siberia here i was looking for something cheap that will last for 3-4 seasons.
    Tyre is performing well in the snow and mud but what happens when is wet either dry can make you feel scared , goosebumps guaranteed while breaking on wet or dry with temperature > 0C. These have no grip whatsoever in wet , car easily spins wheels on 2nd gear. Although designed for s+m should perform in temp up to +7C wet and dry condition but they don't!
    Simply dangerous

Overall i'd say it depends on how much you ask of your tyre. I'd say if you are anyway sensible in the snow you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

shedweller wrote: »
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodride/SW601.htm

Overall i'd say it depends on how much you ask of your tyre. I'd say if you are anyway sensible in the snow you'll be ok.

Cheers, It was my first winter on rwd last year and it wasn't fun but i managed. Got stuck once on a slope but nobody was around. Managed to get grip with my car mats in front of the back wheels and move the car around:D

Edit: this looks like a better option anyway http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=28217285.124.12986&typ=R-156443&ranzahl=4&Breite=185&Quer=60&Felge=15&Speed=T&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

ok managed to get three rims for £20, happy days, so with my spare, i'm on the way. If i get some geezer to put on the tyre's, when i change the wheels do i have to get them balanced?

ok managed to get three rims for £20, happy days, so with my spare, i'm on the way. If i get some geezer to put on the tyre's, when i change the wheels do i have to get them balanced?

Mine arrived from eiretyres, a very happy customer.
    Maybe someone can help me with this though: Looking to get a set for my mothers car, a mitsubishi colt. Currently has 195/50/15s on it, but the same size in winters is working out around 130 euro per corner before delivery, so 140 each.
    However, after I select that car in the menu, it gives the option of some 14 inchers - 175/65/14 - which are an awful lot more affordable. A tyre calculator gives a difference of 1.23% between the 2 sizes, but how do I know if the 14s will fit? Assuming they do, would it be OK to go to the smaller size tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Mine arrived from eiretyres, a very happy customer.
    Maybe someone can help me with this though: Looking to get a set for my mothers car, a mitsubishi colt. Currently has 195/50/15s on it, but the same size in winters is working out around 130 euro per corner before delivery, so 140 each.
    However, after I select that car in the menu, it gives the option of some 14 inchers - 175/65/14 - which are an awful lot more affordable. A tyre calculator gives a difference of 1.23% between the 2 sizes, but how do I know if the 14s will fit? Assuming they do, would it be OK to go to the smaller size tyre?

You will (obviously) need to buy 14 inch rims for them to go on, so it would probably work out dearer.

Seperate wrote: »
    You will (obviously) need to buy 14 inch rims for them to go on, so it would probably work out dearer.
    No, both prices are including rims i.e. 15 inch rims and195/50/15 vs 14 inch rims and 175/65/14, there's a difference of around 20ish euro per corner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

14" would fit unless the brake components are too big, which is unlikely. I would also get a set of wheels/tyres thats slightly larger than stock, not downsize and get a smaller diameter too.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    14" would fit unless the brake components are too big, which is unlikely. I would also get a set of wheels/tyres thats slightly larger than stock, not downsize and get a smaller diameter too.
    The options I'm getting on eiretyres though are
    175/65/14
    185/55/15
    195/50/15

The same brand of tyre in either of the 15s is about 15-20 % more expensive than in the 14s.

lads if i have unto €100 to spend per tyre which one would you pick from the eiretyre site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so it's possibly been answered already...
    '02 BMW 320. What would be the concensus here? Winter tyres and rims all round would presumably be preferable but how about just swapping the rears? I drove it every day during the freeze last year and only got stuck once, going up a steep hill first thing in the morning. Oh, and it's an auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

analucija wrote: »
    Winter tyres do wear out faster in the summer, they are a bit louder and car uses more petrol. At least that's what mechanics in my parents garage used to tell customers. Where I come from winter tyres are mandatory in winter and during summer you can use either but you would get a very nice fine having two M+S and two summer tyres, regardless of the time of the year. Tyres used in winter should have at least 4mm deep thread, less is dangerous.

Somebody above mentioned rethreaded tyres. They are ok for small cars. Bigger sizes are less often made and maybe not such a great idea. The used tyre could be damaged and sometimes new thread peals off. We did sell them but there were a lot more returns of those tyres than of any other new tyre.

Winters have less contact with the road, less rolling road resistance and with therefore use less petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

milltown wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so it's possibly been answered already...
    '02 BMW 320. What would be the concensus here? Winter tyres and rims all round would presumably be preferable but how about just swapping the rears? I drove it every day during the freeze last year and only got stuck once, going up a steep hill first thing in the morning. Oh, and it's an auto.

Not advisable at all, what you'll end up with is a car that'll have great traction on the rear (driving) wheels, so it'll be well able to move you forward, it just wont be able to steer. Easiest way to end up in a ditch tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

BostonB wrote: »
    While looking at that, this 4x4 on ice caught my eye...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI0eJkNTfMU&feature=related

That's a beautiful video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Bit of spare time tonight so mine went on this evening, bit early but had to be done .. forgot how much 18's weigh! :eek: there off to get fully refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

tom walsh had nothing for me in the garage.....

so off to look around the breakers for some wheels

only problem is im crap at this.... all i know is my wheels are 16"

if i went to a breakers looking for any old wheels.. what other cars can i fetch from ? like make models that would match my car without doing any damage and the likes ?

i gots a 07 civic hatch 1.4 ... after that im lost.

once i get this bit i can then focus on the tyres themselves !

cheers all

Use this guide. http://www.wheelfitment.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

650Ginge wrote: »
    That's a beautiful video.

What a completely pointless use of a Veyron.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

650Ginge wrote: »
    Winters have less contact with the road, less rolling road resistance and with therefore use less petrol.

Interesting, I have found this to be true in the real world as well, but odd that common consensus online is the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

any1 know what the typical thread depths are of new winter tyres?

curious as i see part worn winter tyres advertised on donedeal (min 5mm thread depth) and i wonder how long will these last. Are they good value at 35euro fitted verses buying new at 105, 110, 120.
    I understand these would be imported tyres as they no longer met the insurance requirements in other countries

I know 4mm is the minimum thread depth in countries that have annual snow fall as the self cleaning ability is greatly diminished under 4mm

bought alloys of a mk3 mondeo for my mk4 for 100euro at the scrappy. they do have curb marks but are acceptable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

WinterContact TS 810 195/65 R15 91T with ridge , M0 BSW
    ordered 4 of these today. all i need now is snow and ice............:D

Advertisement