Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Interesting, I have found this to be true in the real world as well, but odd that common consensus online is the opposite.
    I would say it is because Winter tyres are a softer/stickier compound so thus increase resistance?
    I recall seeing a marked increase in consumption in my car when I changed from a cheap summer tyre(Sunny SN3800) to a grippier summer tyre(Goodyear Eagle F1). The tyres were exactly the same size, just different rubber compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

fletch wrote: »
    I would say it is because Winter tyres are a softer/stickier compound so thus increase resistance?
    I recall seeing a marked increase in consumption in my car when I changed from a cheap summer tyre(Sunny SN3800) to a grippier summer tyre(Goodyear Eagle F1). The tyres were exactly the same size, just different rubber compound.

Yeah but it seems in reality Winters get better MPG. Maybe its due to the fact their larger grooves actually mean less contact on dry road, therefore less resistance?

49801 wrote: »
    any1 know what the typical thread depths are of new winter tyres?
    8 to 10mm, so for part worn winters try to get 6mm and above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah but it seems in reality Winters get better MPG. Maybe its due to the fact their larger grooves actually mean less contact on dry road, therefore less resistance?

8 to 10mm, so for part worn winters try to get 6mm and above.

You sure your outer diameter isn't just a little bit different on the winters ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You sure your outer diameter isn't just a little bit different on the winters ??
    That would give him longer miles per gallon, as opposed to more of them.;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    That would give him longer miles per gallon, as opposed to more of them.;)

Depends on whether the outer diameter is bigger or smaller doesn't it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

tinner777 wrote: »
    lads if i have unto €100 to spend per tyre which one would you pick from the eiretyre site?

any takers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

650Ginge wrote: »
    Winters have less contact with the road, less rolling road resistance and with therefore use less petrol.

Winters have softer sidewalls and flex more, the threads are slightly softer which means the thread blocks flex more too. All that flexing uses up energy and increases rolling resistance but not a significant increase. It's no coincidence that those eco/low resistance tyres are also hard wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Or maybe you just cane it a bit less on your winters?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Octavia winter boots, anyone have an opinion, only about €5 difference per wheel.

Continental T8 810 with ridge
    " " 830
    Nokian WR D3 BSW
    Vredestein Snowtreck 3 M+S

The Continentals are the obvious choice as they come as standard on Skoda. I heard the Vredestein are very good but are they more for snow and ice in colder climes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

No1J wrote: »
    Octavia winter boots, anyone have an opinion, only about €5 difference per wheel.

Continental T8 810 with ridge
    " " 830
    Nokian WR D3 BSW
    Vredestein Snowtreck 3 M+S

The Continentals are the obvious choice as they come as standard on Skoda. I heard the Vredestein are very good but are they more for snow and ice in colder climes.
    Based on my experience last winter I'd recommend the Continentals. I put a set of part-worn 810's on my C180 and found them to be very reassuring in fresh and slushy snow, not as good on packed ice obviously but still a massive improvement over the standard Bridgestones that were on it before.

If the Continental 830's are available at a similar price they would be better again - according to the reviews I read at the time at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Kwik-Fit urges fleets to book winter tyres now

21/09/2011 in News Home
    • [URL="javascript:void( 0 )"]print-icon.gif[/URL]
    • email-small.gif
    • sm-share-en.gif
    Read more: Latest Fleet News Fleet Industry News Manufacturer News People News Tax and Legislation News Environment News Frankfurt Motor Show

14942_175.jpg Fleet operators are being urged to place winter tyre orders with Kwik-Fit Fleet by the end of September and ensure the tyres are fitted to vehicles during October to guarantee availability.
    Following unprecedented corporate sector demand for winter tyres last year, Kwik-Fit Fleet has ordered 200,000 winter tyres this year - four-times more than last year - worth £20 million at retail prices to meet anticipated orders from public and private sector fleets.
    Additionally, Kwik-Fit Fleet has established a winter tyre hotline - 0330 1231567 - and email address - [URL="javascript:location.href='mailto:'+String.fromCharCode(102,108,101,101,116,99,115,116,64,107,119,105,107,45,102,105,116,46,99,111,109)+'?'"]fleetcst@kwik-fit.com[/URL] - through which fleet operators can place their winter tyres order. The tyres will then be ring-fenced for customers on the basis that they are fitted by the end of next month.
    As last year, Kwik-Fit Fleet is offering a ‘hotel’ facility that sees it remove, pack, label and store each company car and van’s summer tyres in its National Distribution Centre for £10 per tyre per season. In the spring, the summer tyres will be returned to each customer’s centre of choice for fitment with the winter tyres removed and stored until required again.
    Kwik-Fit Fleet sales director Peter Lambert said: “Meteorologists are already warning that the first harsh winter weather could arrive next month. As a result, we are recommending that winter tyres should be fitted to vehicles from the end of September or in the first half of October and remain in place until the end of March.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Weylin wrote: »
    Kwik-Fit urges fleets to book winter tyres now

21/09/2011 in News Home
    • [URL="javascript:void( 0 )"]print-icon.gif[/URL]
    • email-small.gif
    • sm-share-en.gif
    Read more: Latest Fleet News Fleet Industry News Manufacturer News People News Tax and Legislation News Environment News Frankfurt Motor Show

14942_175.jpg Fleet operators are being urged to place winter tyre orders with Kwik-Fit Fleet by the end of September and ensure the tyres are fitted to vehicles during October to guarantee availability.
    Following unprecedented corporate sector demand for winter tyres last year, Kwik-Fit Fleet has ordered 200,000 winter tyres this year - four-times more than last year - worth £20 million at retail prices to meet anticipated orders from public and private sector fleets.
    Additionally, Kwik-Fit Fleet has established a winter tyre hotline - 0330 1231567 - and email address - [URL="javascript:location.href='mailto:'+String.fromCharCode(102,108,101,101,116,99,115,116,64,107,119,105,107,45,102,105,116,46,99,111,109)+'?'"]fleetcst@kwik-fit.com[/URL] - through which fleet operators can place their winter tyres order. The tyres will then be ring-fenced for customers on the basis that they are fitted by the end of next month.
    As last year, Kwik-Fit Fleet is offering a ‘hotel’ facility that sees it remove, pack, label and store each company car and van’s summer tyres in its National Distribution Centre for £10 per tyre per season. In the spring, the summer tyres will be returned to each customer’s centre of choice for fitment with the winter tyres removed and stored until required again.
    Kwik-Fit Fleet sales director Peter Lambert said: “Meteorologists are already warning that the first harsh winter weather could arrive next month. As a result, we are recommending that winter tyres should be fitted to vehicles from the end of September or in the first half of October and remain in place until the end of March.”
    Funny, cos I got a txt from them about winter tyres. Rang up to inquire and they were recommending Bridgestone A001. A quick google reveals these to be "All weather" tyres, not winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hiya all

Just spent the morning reading through the previous post...while working too of course;)... and have been delighted with advice on here.

Wondering where on the door is the numbers for the types of tyres you can use... had a look about and can't see anything?

current tyre situtation: I have a '02 Passat 1.9TDI which is currently wearing 205/55R16/91H Wanli on the front (Didn't find them great, wore out quicker than I expected) and 205/55R16/91V Bridgestone on the rear) on Alloys. Changed the bridgestones from front to back at last tyre change.

I want to get winter tyres on steel rims and i don't know what to answer to the car type question on eiretyres.com. ( have in the make and model) I know there is 5 bolts on the alloys :D (tried inserting the link but the page came up in German :confused:)

Any help or advice as to how i can find this out would be great!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Anan1 wrote: »
    Or maybe you just cane it a bit less on your winters?:)

Not really :D

*joke

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The cheapest winters I can find for mine are €150 a corner. Think i'll be giving them a miss this year... :/

The cheapest winters I can find for mine are €150 a corner. Think i'll be giving them a miss this year... :/

How cheap would it be giving them a miss if you ditch the car on summer tyres ?

I took your approach last year and did 4 figures of damage through a simple kerbing which fubarred some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The German AA (ADAC) just published their latest Winter Tyre test

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2011_Winterreifen_Test_195_65_R15.aspx?ComponentId=87119&SourcePageId=31821

They tested on 195/65/15, and only one Tire failed completely, the Trayal Artica.

The Falken Eurowinter also didn't fare very well, especially on Snow. Best on snow were the Conti WinterContact and the Fulda Kristall.

German ratings go from 1 (Very good) to 6 (terrible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

DubDani wrote: »
    The German AA (ADAC) just published their latest Winter Tyre test

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2011_Winterreifen_Test_195_65_R15.aspx?ComponentId=87119&SourcePageId=31821

They tested on 195/65/15, and only one Tire failed completely, the Trayal Artica.

The Falken Eurowinter also didn't fare very well, especially on Snow. Best on snow were the Conti WinterContact and the Fulda Kristall.

German ratings go from 1 (Very good) to 6 (terrible).
    From Google translate

Trocken - Dry
    Nass - Wet
    Schnee - Snow
    Eis - Ice
    Geräusch - Noise
    Kraftstoffverbrauch - Fuel consumption
    Verschleiß - Wear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

DubDani wrote: »
    Thanks for that...for me it was a toss up between the Vredestein Snowtrac 3 and the Nokian WR D3, in the end I went for the Nokian as it was slightly cheaper. Happy to see that the Nokian beat the Vredestein in the test :)

How cheap would it be giving them a miss if you ditch the car on summer tyres ?

I took your approach last year and did 4 figures of damage through a simple kerbing which fubarred some stuff

Believe me, i've thought about it. I even slid into a kerb last year and temporarily knocked the tyre off the rim.

I think i'll take my chances tough. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Believe me, i've thought about it. I even slid into a kerb last year and temporarily knocked the tyre off the rim.

I think i'll take my chances tough. :/
    Smaller rims or part worns - 150e a corner me a'rse. unless your driving something super fancy you shouldnt have a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Just bought my second pair of Hankook Icept Evo's today from Camskill,I have the other set from last year,so have 'em on all fours this year!!!

Took the plunge, A set of Continental TS 830'S on steel rims ordered, they look like one of the best on offer.
    Stick them on in October, off in April doing around 12k a year I should be good for the next 5 years.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

You know that eejit in the 03 reg 3-series BMW sliding on M50 off-ramps and spinning round car parks last winter?. Yep, that was me.

So this year its gonna be different. I'd weighed down the boot as much as i could but the car was tough going last winter. Current tyres are Bridgestone, i am utterly clueless when it comes to tyres. Been looking at eiretyres website as recommended by a few on here, standard size for BMW seems to be 205, but i've no idea what the other numbers mean would be ( numbers 65 and 15 are the defaults..are these ok?)
    Anyway, anyone recommend any that would be good for my 3 series?. The car is 8 years old now, but i've no plans to change it. Don't care what they look like. Might be easier to buy the rim too as opposed to having to put the tyre on and off my own rim and then just keep them on for 4 or 5 cold months?. I only drive about 70 miles a week i reckon. Was quoted €170 each for Hankook tyres in Dublin which seems to be way more than they are online.
    Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
    Try Nokian Entyre, they are all weathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

eskimocat wrote: »
    Hiya all

Just spent the morning reading through the previous post...while working too of course;)... and have been delighted with advice on here.

Wondering where on the door is the numbers for the types of tyres you can use... had a look about and can't see anything?

current tyre situtation: I have a '02 Passat 1.9TDI which is currently wearing 205/55R16/91H Wanli on the front (Didn't find them great, wore out quicker than I expected) and 205/55R16/91V Bridgestone on the rear) on Alloys. Changed the bridgestones from front to back at last tyre change.

I want to get winter tyres on steel rims and i don't know what to answer to the car type question on eiretyres.com. ( have in the make and model) I know there is 5 bolts on the alloys :D (tried inserting the link but the page came up in German :confused:)

Any help or advice as to how i can find this out would be great!
    thanks

I'd get rid of the wanli tyres asap, I had some on my car, absolute rubbish

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Smaller rims or part worns - 150e a corner me a'rse. unless your driving something super fancy you shouldnt have a bother

Might go down the smaller rim route alright. Theyre 255 45 18s on the rear and 235 50 18s on the front, hence the high price.
    If I can pick up some OEM 16"s for around €100 I may have another look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Good to see so many people getting winters this year, unlike the last few years when some experts were in denial.

Just a thing niggling me. Most people run summer tyres all year round , no problems insurance wise as nearly everyone does it, but say you have winter tyres on during the summer and had a big accident, any wriggle room by the insurance company do you think?
    I have seen youtube stuff showing winter tyres loosing gripping performance over the mid 20's C.:)
    Forecast for next week is temps in the mid 20's C:eek:, wouldn't put them on yet.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elkido9

Best tyres for a mk v tdi golf? 16's. Best all rounder I'm lookin fior. Been told either the uniroyal rainexpert or vredestein sportrac 3. The bridgestones on it were good in snow and ice last yr but replaced front 2 with 2 "infinity" ones that are absolutely useless, car spins in the dry...

Also, sholud i get the 4 done to be safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

elkido9 wrote: »
    Best tyres for a mk v tdi golf? 16's. Best all rounder I'm lookin fior. Been told either the uniroyal rainexpert or vredestein sportrac 3. The bridgestones on it were good in snow and ice last yr but replaced front 2 with 2 "infinity" ones that are absolutely useless, car spins in the dry...

Also, sholud i get the 4 done to be safe?

Neither are winter tyres are they? "All rounders" don't exist, if you want winter tyres you have to buy winters.

Advertisement