Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elkido9

I want all season tyres but safe ones in winter. Not specifically "winter tyres"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

elkido9 wrote: »
    I want all season tyres but safe ones in winter. Not specifically "winter tyres"

You have a thread here

This thread is for winter tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elkido9

I know. But didnt get the required info. More experts here

I know. But didnt get the required info. More experts here

Let's keep this thread on topic please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

BFG AT's are for you.

Nothing, anywhere, made by anyone, will come near the performace of these tyres for a multi use 4x4.

They are silent on tarmac.

Drop their presssure and the Edge digs in big time

They are serious competitors to the Michelin XM.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Winter tyres..ah as much as I'd love them they're just too expensive this year around.
    I'll stick to not driving this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I've bent tracking arms after sliding into kerbs the last two winters, won't be doing that again.

4 x part worn Pirelli Wintersports with just under 7mm thread. 205/55/16 (A-Rated)
    €53 a corner fitted and balanced
    IMAG0041.jpg

4 used teledial alloys picked up from Donedeal - some kerbing but I'm more then happy with them, the Alfas new winter shoes :)
    IMAG0044.jpg

So you can get fitted out for around €300 if you really want.
    Would also highly recommend the place I picked the partworn tyres up from, super fast on email enquiry and good value, tyreland.ie (No affiliation at all, just wanted to pass on some good feedback.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Anyone know where I can get 4 tyres studded or whatever is best for severe ice in this size 275/45R20/110 ?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Hammertime wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get 4 tyres studded or whatever is best for severe ice in this size 275/45R20/110 ?

Thank you

Eiretyres have about 8-10 winter tyres in that size, don't know about studded though.
    €215 - €440 a tyre,:eek:
    The Continental at €380 looks good.

No1J wrote: »
    Eiretyres have about 8-10 winter tyres in that size, don't know about studded though.
    €215 - €440 a tyre,:eek:
    The Continental at €380 looks good.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hammertime, you'd be better off with a lot smaller wheel, even then winter tyres wont provide much grip in pack ice, they are better than summers but only 10 - 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Hammertime, you'd be better off with a lot smaller wheel, even then winter tyres wont provide much grip in pack ice, they are better than summers but only 10 - 15%.

275 width, 20" and 110 load rating (well over 3ton?)... Im guess these are going on something like a Q7? 275width will be near useless in snow and ice, though I guess the studs would make up for some of that.

Wouldn't the studs be useless 95% of the time and destroy the roads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Wouldn't the studs be useless 95% of the time and destroy the roads ?
    Studs arent necessary at all

The Q7 would take minimum 255/55R18 109Y XL wheels and tires etc suggest getting them, no need for studded in Ireland esp with quattro..

I'm jealous will you come up and get me out Hammertime!

The Q7 would take minimum 255/55R18 109Y XL wheels and tires etc suggest getting them, no need for studded in Ireland esp with quattro..

thanks for the advice everyone, very stupid question: how can I use 255/55R18 on my current alloys ? Or do I need new rims ?

Sorry, I'm a bit lost with this

edit: would the above tires be a lot better that my current setup, ie worth the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Hammertime wrote: »
    thanks for the advice everyone, very stupid question: how can I use 255/55R18 on my current alloys ? Or do I need new rims ?
    You will need new rims

There is no way it needs a 109 load rated tyre. 101 is already over what it needs at over 800kg per wheel/corner.

http://forums.audiworld.com/archive/index.php/t-374380.html
    235/60/18 sound even better and more attainable than 255s.

Yep I think your spot on, unless HT tows anything which he'll need higher loaded tyres.

Yep I think your spot on, unless HT tows anything which he'll need higher loaded tyres.

tows anything?

Not a chance, I'd dirty me bumper !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

hi guys any opinions on these hankook winter i-cept evo.thanks.mite get em if good reviews:D
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/Winter-i-cept-evo.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

hadepsx wrote: »
    hi guys any opinions on these hankook winter i-cept evo.thanks.mite get em if good reviews:D
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/Winter-i-cept-evo.htm

fyi i got a price of 105 fitted for 205/55R16 in hanover tyres in cork

A-Trak wrote: »
    Would also highly recommend the place I picked the partworn tyres up from, super fast on email enquiry and good value, tyreland.ie (No affiliation at all, just wanted to pass on some good feedback.)

Went through these guys for mine actually, had them shipped down to Limerick and only got around to fitting them today to a spare set of alloys I have.

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

i got em priced at 85e for 195/65/15" in carlow. so any thoughts on em, are they worth it or shall i go conti winters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

hadepsx wrote: »
    i got em priced at 85e for 195/65/15" in carlow. so any thoughts on em, are they worth it or shall i go conti winters.

Where abouts in Carlow was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So whats the general consensus on here regarding winter tyres? Are they needed or not?

Mc Love wrote: »
    So whats the general consensus on here regarding winter tyres? Are they needed or not?
    Is the 30page thread full of photos of people fitting Winter tyres not a bit clue?
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Is the 30page thread full of photos of people fitting Winter tyres not a bit clue?

sv, i priced em at tallon tyres near coolkenna. pm if u want more details, would u think em hankook winters are any good????

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »

Advertisement