Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

hadepsx wrote: »
    sv, i priced em at tallon tyres near coolkenna. pm if u want more details, would u think em hankook winters are any good????

Cheers man, I know the place! You'd want new tires driving out of the place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hadepsx wrote: »
    sv, i priced em at tallon tyres near coolkenna. pm if u want more details, would u think em hankook winters are any good????

Same place?
    http://www.tallonwheels.com/tw2/index.php/home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mc Love wrote: »
    So whats the general consensus on here regarding winter tyres? Are they needed or not?

_peekaboo%20face%20palm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

slimjimmc wrote: »

Isn't another Tallon I know of and that is also called Tallon Tires so I'd say..yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Just a quick tip for anyone getting spare rims and having to carry them to and fro to the tyre fitters.

If you can get a couple of those big fook off blue IKEA bags they're brilliant for carrying 2 tyres in the back seats without dirtying up your upholstery.
    Stick the tyre into the bag and then rip a black along the seams to cover the exposed top of the tyre.

I put 2 16's with rims in the boot and the other 2 on the back seat coverd like that. Even belted them in like a passenger ;)

Obviously this is of no use to any one with an Octavia, as they'd be able to carry approx 30 to 40 tyres in the boot along with the weekly shopping no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

A-Trak wrote: »
    Obviously this is of no use to any one with an Octavia, as they'd be able to carry a snow plough

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

:D damn rite on them octavias. ye that website is the correct. tallon tyres, where ull wear 2 mm on your new tyre leaving;). its not a great road to be fair. but good shop all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

If my car was worth more i would go for four,but current financial status dictates two will suffice:) until next year at least.

Il prob go for two steelies from eiretyres. Save a trip to town.

Bridgestones
    look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If my car was worth more i would go for four,but current financial status dictates two will suffice:) until next year at least.

Bridgestones
    look good.

Either get 4 or get none, only putting on 2 will just make things worse

Surely 2 is better than none. I have taken that point on board and read much of the thread and decided against 4.

Im not a clown on the road and have no intention of going fast.

Im not working atm:( and will not be doing much traveling so cant justify 500 euro when 250 will get me outta trouble hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Im not working atm:( and will not be doing much traveling so cant justify 500 euro when 250 will get me outta trouble hopefully.

250 would get you 4 part worns which if you pick them wisely would give you 80% of the lifespan of new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Bridgestones
    look good.

What about everyone elses car ? Worth of yours won'#t matter much if you go into a rear end skid and career into someone elses brand new Beemer......or worse still some pedestrians.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    250 would get you 4 part worns which if you pick them wisely would give you 80% of the lifespan of new.

Its a bit hard to locate anyone in the west who does these. Any recommendations around galways outskirts:confused:?

What about everyone elses car ? Worth of yours won'#t matter much if you go into a rear end skid and career into someone elses brand new Beemer......or worse still some pedestrians.

If its like last year the rear wheel drive Beemers will prob be facing the wrong way anyway:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Its a bit hard to locate anyone in the west who does these. Any recommendations around galways outskirts:confused:?

TyreIreland in Dublin would ship them to Galway for you, get them fitted then when you have the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Right lads I'm getting lost in the posts here.

What is the general consensus on what the best winter tyres are?

Also, ideally I'd like to 18's but a few people have told me that 17's should be the absolute biggest I put on the car.

What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

What would people recommend for a 96 micra (lol) and where to get them/fit them?

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What would people recommend for a 96 micra (lol) and where to get them/fit them?

What size wheels?

Surely 2 is better than none. I have taken that point on board and read much of the thread and decided against 4.

Im not a clown on the road and have no intention of going fast.

You'd think so, but no. If you put two winter tyres on one axle of the car, it'll make the whole thing very unstable and unpredictable.

And that's with all-seasons / winter mixed. A summer / winter mix would be even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Shane732 wrote: »
    Right lads I'm getting lost in the posts here.

What is the general consensus on what the best winter tyres are?

Also, ideally I'd like to 18's but a few people have told me that 17's should be the absolute biggest I put on the car.

What do you guys think?
    Whatever the smallest size that will fit over your brakes - i'd imagine that'll be 17"s. 18"s will cost more, will be more prone to damage on winter roads, will give a worse ride, and will confer absolutely no advantages over 17".

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Whatever the smallest size that will fit over your brakes - i'd imagine that'll be 17"s. 18"s will cost more, will be more prone to damage on winter roads, will give a worse ride, and will confer absolutely no advantages over 17".

One advantage would be not having to buy new 17" alloys to put them on... :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

What size wheels?
    I have no idea :(

I am utterly useless at this it has to be said but would like to be safe coming up to winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Some insurance companies consider winter tyres to be modifying a car and need to be told you are putting them on and taking them off as there's a possibility you mightn't be covered!

I've 2 Kleber Krisalps 205/55R16 for the Avensis D4D. They're brilliant. Hope to get another 2 winter tyres for the rear this year. Might just get cheaper tyres there. And for when things get really bad, there's a set of RUD Easy2GO chains.
    6186109645_a98a7ed87b_z.jpg

A word of warning to all buyers: Make sure the tyres you buy have the winter symbol on them (mountain & snowflake). Dealers were trying to sell summer tyres as winter ones last winter when the demand was high. I was told by one dealer here that due to demand the German companies were using winter compound in summer moulds to get the supply out. Load of bull. While the rubber compound is different in winter tyres (more supple under 7 degrees), it's the thread pattern that gives the grip in snow.

Safe driving and bring on the white stuff:cool:

Sure he'll need a second set of rims anyway, unless he wants to be pulling the tyres on and off the rims twice yearly.:) I'm shopping for 16" BMW wheels at the moment, second hand alloys seem to be going for €200ish, as opposed to €80ea for new steelies from the dealer. I wouldn't think 17"s would cost that much more?

You'd think so, but no. If you put two winter tyres on one axle of the car, it'll make the whole thing very unstable and unpredictable.

And that's with all-seasons / winter mixed. A summer / winter mix would be even worse.

:eek: Missed that bit. Point taken. Must keep searching for 4 reasonable ones so.

TyreIreland in Dublin would ship them to Galway for you, get them fitted then when you have the chance

Any link?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sure he'll need a second set of rims anyway, unless he wants to be pulling the tyres on and off the rims twice yearly.:) I'm shopping for 16" BMW wheels at the moment, second hand alloys seem to be going for €200ish, as opposed to €80ea for new steelies from the dealer. I wouldn't think 17"s would cost that much more?

Well the only reason I'd go for 18's would be for the look of them.

I've had people telling me that the grip of the 18's won't be as good as the 17's. I don't know how true this is. I'd imagine the argument would be that with 17's there's more force pushing down on the surface of the tyre touching the ground as opposed to the 18's.

New reps cost about €475.

Used 17/18's can be picked up for €250 or so.

Well I'm going to need new alloys anyway unless I want to put the winters on to my 19's!

I'm trying to find out whether BMW are offering a winter tyre service this year..... Anyone know? I spoke for Joe Duffy Motors and they didn't want to commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Any link?
    Oops,meant to say tyreland.give them a quick google

• Advertisement

Well the only reason I'd go for 18's would be for the look of them.
    It's winter, were you German you'd have your 335 on steelies!
    I'm trying to find out whether BMW are offering a winter tyre service this year..... Anyone know? I spoke for Joe Duffy Motors and they didn't want to commit.
    I rang Joe Duffy Rochestown yesterday, and they do. The bad news is, they seem to be a lot more expensive than last year. Last year they were selling 4x new 16" alloys with winter RFT for €890, this year they want €919 for 4x 16" winters on steel wheels. It does include fitting and storing your summer wheels for the first year, though. From memory, though, prices rose steeply once you went above 16".

Advertisement