Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

I was wondering alright when all could find was Digger tyres in swinford..:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's winter, were you German you'd have your 335 on steelies!
    I rang Joe Duffy Rochestown yesterday, and they do. The bad news is, they seem to be a lot more expensive than last year. Last year they were selling 4x new 16" alloys with winter RFT for €890, this year they want €919 for 4x 16" winters on steel wheels. It does include fitting and storing your summer wheels for the first year, though. From memory, though, prices rose steeply once you went above 16".

What tyres were they?

I've been quoted over €1k for a set of 18 reps and hannock winter tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I have no idea :(

I am utterly useless at this it has to be said but would like to be safe coming up to winter!

Check on the side of your tyre, there are numbers there like 155/70 13 depending on model of Micra you have.
    Second hand winters should be around €40 a tyre for you then about another €40 to fit.
    New on steel rims would start at about €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Shane732 wrote: »
    What tyres were they?

I've been quoted over €1k for a set of 18 reps and hannock winter tyres.
    They were Goodyear UG7+, but when I rang Frank Keane today they said that they had the same wheels/tyres at the same price but that they weren't run flats. I'm leaning towards buying a set of second hand 16" wheels myself and fitting really good tyres, the likes of Continental WinterContact 830P RFT. That'll end up costing around €1000 too, though. Still, would you even get a front bumper for that money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I have a piece o'crap 1996 Hyundai Accent GLS with basic, non-alloy tyres. The two front tyres are 'summer' tyres and are quite new (only driven 10,000km on them, mostly motorway driving).

Anyway, I want to put winter tyres on the Accent this winter. The thing is, I am probably going to scrap the car next March and replace it with a *much* newer Octavia or Golf that has alloys.

So, what kind of winter tyres should I get for the Accent?
    I mean, if I'm scrapping it next spring I'll only get one season out of them, since it's very unlikely that whatever winters I get will be usable on the new Golf/Octavia during winter 2012/2013.

I don't have any spare wheels for the Accent btw (apart from the single obligatory one!), nor am I prepared to buy any for such a ****t.y car that has at most 6 months of life left in it.

• Advertisement

Tremelo wrote: »
    I have a piece o'crap 1996 Hyundai Accent GLS with basic, non-alloy tyres. The two front tyres are 'summer' tyres and are quite new (only driven 10,000km on them, mostly motorway driving).

Anyway, I want to put winter tyres on the Accent this winter. The thing is, I am probably going to scrap the car next March and replace it with a *much* newer Octavia or Golf that has alloys.

I mean, if I'm scrapping it next spring I'll only get one season out of them, since it's very unlikely that whatever winters I get will be usable on the new Golf/Octavia during winter 2012/2013.

I don't have any spare wheels for the Accent btw (apart from the single obligatory one!), nor am I prepared to buy any for such a ****t.y car that has at most 6 months of life left in it.
    I've no personal experience of them (other than their not answering the phone or messages), but a lot of people seem to be very happy with part worn winters from this crowd: http://www.tyreland.ie/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Picked up a set of used 16" alloys tonight, exact match for the existing Audi alloys on my car and in very good nick - €120 for the set.

Was going to just get the winter tyres put on my existing wheels, but given that I'll probably get next winter out of these tyres also, thought the expense of swapping them each time (around €40 I guess) would be better put towards a spare set of wheels. So it means I can put them on and off myself when the weather turns colder, and I can finally use the impulse purchase impact wrench I got in Lidl about 5 years ago. :D

All in all, €312 total for the 4 alloys, 4 x Dunlop Winter Sport M3 205/55/R16 part worns with at least 6mm+ on each, fitted and balanced. Good value out there if you're willing to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

muckish wrote: »
    Some insurance companies consider winter tyres to be modifying a car and need to be told you are putting them on and taking them off as there's a possibility you mightn't be covered!

I've 2 Kleber Krisalps 205/55R16 for the Avensis D4D. They're brilliant. Hope to get another 2 winter tyres for the rear this year. Might just get cheaper tyres there. And for when things get really bad, there's a set of RUD Easy2GO chains.
    If you're referring to last year's debacle in the UK the Association of British Insurers has issued a statement that winter tyres would not be considered a mod if they comply with the car manufacturer's specs. But, for example, if you fit a different size tyre then you risk it being classed as mod, but that's the same rule for any type of tyre in any season.
    Snow tyres
    There was continued media interest in the possible insurance implications of fitting snow tyres. We continued to confirm that the general view was that the fitting of snow/winter tyres would not be classed as a material alteration to the vehicle (provided they are fitted by reputable garage, in accordance with manufacturers own specifications) and that, to be sure, policyholders should check with the head office of their insurance company.

Some insurers such as Churchhill seem to be encouraging their use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

No1J wrote: »
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I have no idea :(

I am utterly useless at this it has to be said but would like to be safe coming up to winter!

Check on the side of your tyre, there are numbers there like 155/70 13 depending on model of Micra you have.
    Second hand winters should be around €40 a tyre for you then about another €40 to fit.
    New on steel rims would start at about €80.
    Cheers, looking to upgrade from the micra during next year/summer so the second hand winters would probably be the way to go, thanks dude!

Edit - 155 70 13 75T is on them, good guess :p

Found these, would they be suitable does anyone know?

http://www.ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=30115091.124.18182&typ=R-182443&ranzahl=4&Breite=155&Quer=70&Felge=13&Speed=Q&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Would someone be so good as to give me an idiots guide on winter tyres, I have read some of the thread and have found it to be very informative so far.

I live in a hilly area and last year was a complete disaster getting in and out of our estate etc during the snow. How beneficial are winter tyres within a snowy housing estate or are they inaffective in these conditions...in other words would you still need chains/socks etc.

I drive an 08 mondeo and I am in bad need of a tyre change, so I thought of maybe paying a bit extra and getting winter tyres.

The current tyres are 205/55 R16, so what could I expect to pay for 4 new winter tyres (including fitting) of good effective quality.

I have watched numerous youtube videos and winter tyres seem particualrly effective even in deep snow but I don't know anyone that actually has them to get a first hand review.

Oh and finally (thanks for sticking with this!!) would it be too early to go on Winter tyres in the next week or so as one of my current tyres is particualrly bald for some reason.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Vudgie wrote: »
    ...I live in a hilly area and last year was a complete disaster getting in and out of our estate etc during the snow. ...

You're exactly the person who should have winter tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Would someone be so good as to give me an idiots guide on winter tyres, I have read some of the thread and have found it to be very informative so far.

I live in a hilly area and last year was a complete disaster getting in and out of our estate etc during the snow. How beneficial are winter tyres within a snowy housing estate or are they inaffective in these conditions...in other words would you still need chains/socks etc.

I drive an 08 mondeo and I am in bad need of a tyre change, so I thought of maybe paying a bit extra and getting winter tyres.

The current tyres are 205/55 R16, so what could I expect to pay for 4 new winter tyres (including fitting) of good effective quality.

I have watched numerous youtube videos and winter tyres seem particualrly effective even in deep snow but I don't know anyone that actually has them to get a first hand review.

Oh and finally (thanks for sticking with this!!) would it be too early to go on Winter tyres in the next week or so as one of my current tyres is particualrly bald for some reason.

Many thanks

With winter tyres you'll find that traction is improved tenfold.
    I found winter tyres last year to act in snow like normal tyres did in heavy rain. In other words, you will lose it if you're pushing it..but you can drive quite normally at low speeds and corner fine.

Winter tyres are worth the money and tbh it's hard to believe they work as well as they do unless you try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

why not? do you mean the golf/octavia will have bigger wheels?

otherwise I dont see why you could not re-use them

you could also sell them next year....if there is a bad spell in 2012/2013 you can bet they will be in demand

just dont spend money on a second set of rims for the accent, just get the tyres changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anan1 wrote: »
    They were Goodyear UG7+, but when I rang Frank Keane today they said that they had the same wheels/tyres at the same price but that they weren't run flats. I'm leaning towards buying a set of second hand 16" wheels myself and fitting really good tyres, the likes of Continental WinterContact 830P RFT. That'll end up costing around €1000 too, though. Still, would you even get a front bumper for that money?

My understanding was that the GoodYear UG7's or 8's were top of the range. Them, the Dunlop Wintersport 3d/4d and the continentals always seem to be the top three in comparison charts, though from memory the goodyears were top, no ?

Riskymove wrote: »
    why not? do you mean the golf/octavia will have bigger wheels?

otherwise I dont see why you could not re-use them

you could also sell them next year....if there is a bad spell in 2012/2013 you can bet they will be in demand

just dont spend money on a second set of rims for the accent, just get the tyres changed

Exactly, the wheels are only r13s, and therefore quite small. Just rang Tyreland and while their customer service was excellent, they don't have any t13s and are very unlikely to be getting any in :(

Exactly, the wheels are only r13s, and therefore quite small. Just rang Tyreland and while their customer service was excellent, they don't have any t13s and are very unlikely to be getting any in :(

ok

well eiretyres have r13 winter tyres from €37 so perhaps do that and just try and sell them next year

putting bigger rims on the accent (if doable) to make the tyres usable for next year would probably cost too much

That Micra the K11 came with R14 wheels in later years. (1992 - 2003). So I'm guessing thats also an option. You'd think it would be a very common tyre, but I had difficulty getting R14 tyres for mine last year. Most only sold unknown brands and all were summers. No winters to be had. Haven't looked this year.

Riskymove wrote: »
    ok

well eiretyres have r13 winter tyres from €37 so perhaps do that and just try and sell them next year

Tyre spec = 155/80 r13 79t

Cheapest on eiretyre is €48, which seems great. However, I would still need to pay someone to fit the tyres for me.

Advance are quoting me €75 for the tyre and fitting (x4). What do you think would work out cheaper in the end?

Also, does the eiretyre stock tend to dry up come October? I won't be able to buy the tyres until mid-late October, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Tyre spec = 155/80 r13 79t

Cheapest on eiretyre is €48, which seems great. However, I would still need to pay someone to fit the tyres for me.

Advance are quoting me €75 for the tyre and fitting (x4). What do you think would work out cheaper in the end?

Also, does the eiretyre stock tend to dry up come October? I won't be able to buy the tyres until mid-late October, unfortunately.

I really think you would be far better off getting partworn winters!
    have a look on donedeal. you should be able to get 4 fitted for 150-200e. and dont bother with 2nd set of wheels either. most places charge 10e per tyre to change from one tyre to another so the most you would spend is 80quid to change from summer to winter and back to summer.

49801 wrote: »
    most places charge 10e per tyre to change from one tyre to another so the most you would spend is 80quid to change from summer to winter and back to summer.

I was about to say this

my usual tyre place is charging €40 for changing tyres and balancing 4 tyres

€30 if you bought the tyres from them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Many thanks

You need to read all of the thread to be honest, there has been a load of recommendations which you will have missed, and to summerise - the most cost effective way is to get a second set of wheels with part-worn winters. If you want new - steel wheels can be got direct from eiretires.com with winters, on eiretires you just select your car, wheel size and payment method.

There is also a search function on here and there are loads of other threads from last year also with people and videos driving in the snow with winters tires in Ireland.

49801 wrote: »
    I really think you would be far better off getting partworn winters!
    have a look on donedeal. you should be able to get 4 fitted for 150-200e. and dont bother with 2nd set of wheels either. most places charge 10e per tyre to change from one tyre to another so the most you would spend is 80quid to change from summer to winter and back to summer.

I would assume the advantage of having a set of wheel you can just do it yourself, rather than have to wait for somewhere else to do it. Assuming they are not busy, or you can get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

JJJJNR wrote: »
    You need to read all of the thread to be honest, there has been a load of recommendations which you will have missed, and to summerise - the most cost effective way is to get a second set of wheels with part-worn winters. If you want new - steel wheels can be got direct from eiretires.com with winters, on eiretires you just select your car, wheel size and payment method.

There is also a search function on here and there are loads of other threads from last year also with people and videos driving in the snow with winters tires in Ireland.

You are right, and I have since read the whole thread....I did think that after I posted it!

I have noticed that people are generally recommending new wheels with the winters on them for easy change over come march/april. My issue is that I really believe my current regular tyres are fit for the bin so no point in keeping them.

I plan to just change the tyres to winters on my existing wheels and then start putting money away for a second set of summer tyres and wheels next year.

On the basis that I just buy the tyres for a mondeo (16") have you any idea how much I could expect for new ones. Would €400 do it including fitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

You are right, and I have since read the whole thread....I did think that after I posted it!

I have noticed that people are generally recommending new wheels with the winters on them for easy change over come march/april. My issue is that I really believe my current regular tyres are fit for the bin so no point in keeping them.

I plan to just change the tyres to winters on my existing wheels and then start putting money away for a second set of summer tyres and wheels next year.

On the basis that I just buy the tyres for a mondeo (16") have you any idea how much I could expect for new ones. Would €400 do it including fitting?

From eiretyres starting from €62 each, €75 gets you better quality and get them fitted for around €40. Put in your tyre size on their page and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What brands we talking about here?I'd stay away from Advance anyway..they're expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

BostonB wrote: »
    I would assume the advantage of having a set of wheel you can just do it yourself, rather than have to wait for somewhere else to do it. Assuming they are not busy, or you can get to them.

i was responding to someone who is planning on scraping their car in march/april. so no point in them getting a 2nd set of wheels.
    if you change your tyres to winters on your current alloys and back again you've spent 80quid. with changing to winter tyres for 2 years you'd of spent more than the value of a 2nd set of tyres (depending on what you spend on wheels that is)

i've gotten a set of wheels for a 100e from the scrap yard. going to have my mechanic look at them before having tyre fitted though

My understanding was that the GoodYear UG7's or 8's were top of the range. Them, the Dunlop Wintersport 3d/4d and the continentals always seem to be the top three in comparison charts, though from memory the goodyears were top, no ?
    I actually don't know, but if they're not run flats then they're out for me.

Thanks. A tyre shop in Cashel can source new winter tyres for me and fit them for €240. Thing is, they are Chinese or Korean tyres as far as I know. Probably slightly inferior quality, but seen as how I want them for only one winter, I should probably go with them, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

Cheaper in the North!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

just looking the prices up on eiretires and FFS massive price increase over last year, the tires I got are 30 euros more each.. I thought 400 would be plenty, but factoring in fitting you may be better off getting part worn from somewhere like tyreland (www.tyreland.ie) .

Advertisement