Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's winter, were you German you'd have your 335 on steelies!

A 335i on steelies!!!

That's a mortal sin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If you're referring to last year's debacle in the UK the Association of British Insurers has issued a statement that winter tyres would not be considered a mod if they comply with the car manufacturer's specs. But, for example, if you fit a different size tyre then you risk it being classed as mod, but that's the same rule for any type of tyre in any season.

Some insurers such as Churchhill seem to be encouraging their use.

I emailed 123.ie today to see what they'd say:

made the following enquiry....

Hi_ can you clarify if it is necessary to inform you of the use of winter tyres on a car and are there any insurance implications in doing so _e.g. is it considered a modification__.

Referred from: http://www.123.ie/misc/contact.htm

Customer Emails customer.emails@123.ie to me

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that I have noted this on your policy however this does not affect your policy in any way.

We thank you for your business to date and trust all is in order however if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department on 1890 231 123.
    Kind Regards,

Customer Care
    123.ie

I think that means it's ok :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Does anyone have the Pirelli Winter 190 Snow Control Series 3?

On the German AA website they seemed to get a very good results but I don't seem to be able to find them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Shane732 wrote: »
    A 335i on steelies!!!

That's a mortal sin!!
    Maybe it's a German thing, but I think winters look cooler on steelies. A big set of alloys in winter makes it look like you can't afford winter tyres.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Maybe it's a German thing, but I think winters look cooler on steelies. A big set of alloys in winter makes it look like you can't afford winter tyres.;)
    But smaller Alloys with Winters look better. Can paint them black too if thats your thing!

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    But smaller Alloys with Winters look better. Can paint them black too if thats your thing!
    It's not that steelies look well per se, it's that in winter they indicate the presence of winter tyres. When I see a BMW on what look like its OEM alloys on snow/ice, I think 'roadblock'.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's not that steelies look well per se, it's that in winter they indicate the presence of winter tyres. When I see a BMW on what look like its OEM alloys on snow/ice, I think 'roadblock'.:)

You really do have some very odd perceptions :)

I see your angle, but surely of the few people with Winters most have them on a second set of Alloys?
    I also let out a sigh when behind a BMW in bad weather (despite owning 2 of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Someone mentioned the BMW offer on winters (tyres + steelies). I just got this from them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Mena wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the BMW offer on winters (tyres + steelies). I just got this from them today.
    Basically shagging you over.

Have a 320D, bought 4 dunlop winter tyres for €480 from eiretyres (225/50/16 if i remember rightly) last Nov.

Got set of 4 2nd had alloys off bmw forum for €150.

Total of €630.

Daylight robbery!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minogudk

'tyreaware' do winter tyres, they come to you- based in Galway I think, my brother and I called them out recently and they were great.. dunno the website but google tyres south galway and they should come up :D

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Basically shagging you over

Daylight robbery!!

Yeah can't argue that. Got mine for €500.00 or so last October. Their pricing model verges on the insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

The first of the bad sh1t hit the fan in Dublin 2009 on new years eve around 9 pm in the city center.
    I was working so remember it well, by 4am when I knocked off the city was in crap.
    This was the first of the big freez's, no one was prepared, then we had last year's fall that at first was great fun but then became more serious.
    On my way home in a taxi up the new Cabra road I saw a micra move forward at the lights at Mc D's and end up going backwards down the old Cabra road side ways,Mother and children on board.
    Winter tyres ordered, Cleats for the shoes bit early yet but in the back of the mind.
    After today have sunburn on the forehead cutting the hedge but next month?
    Get the Tyres sorted now for peace of mind, kicking your selves other wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 linkedin09

minogudk wrote: »
    'tyreaware' do winter tyres, they come to you- based in Galway I think, my brother and I called them out recently and they were great.. dunno the website but google tyres south galway and they should come up :D

Thanks for that, just called that Tyre Aware crowd there and they say they are getting orders for winter tyres all over the country. They have a mobile unit and said they will be coming to dublin pretty soon. http://www.tyreaware.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

just picked up 4 partworn continental wintercontacts for 140euro from ORtyres in Corbet park in Macroom. they are ok thread wise, 4mm. have to do a bit of searching to get them matching and did have 4 allweathers on the rims before i coped they were not winter tyres but there was no hassle in changing them again.

since i managed to pick up 4 alloys for 100e in the scrap yard off of a mark3 mondeo i've spent a grand total of 240e:D

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Basically shagging you over.

Have a 320D, bought 4 dunlop winter tyres for €480 from eiretyres (225/50/16 if i remember rightly) last Nov.

Got set of 4 2nd had alloys off bmw forum for €150.

Total of €630.

Daylight robbery!!
    At current prices, the BMW offer is actually pretty good, IMO. They charge €1009 for four steelies with Dunlop M3 RFT, 205/55R16, including fitting, winter storage of your wheels, and remounting in spring. As of now, those tyres cost €191ea on eiretyres, plus fitting, plus €150 for a set of used BMW alloys = €974.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

prices on eiretyres seem to be creeping upwards, the Goodyear UG7 's that i bought a few weeks ago have increased by €5 each.

i presume that this is a regular thing with winter tyres as the seasons change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

my Vredsteins are £30stg dearer each on camskill this year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Absurdum wrote: »
    my Vredsteins are £30stg dearer each on camskill this year :eek:

Tyres have gone up in price all over since last year. I was buying bridgestones last year for 340 euro plus vat and they are now 450 euro..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I have all my money tied up & simply cannot find the spare cash to purchase winter tyres as I had wanted.

Last winter I was fine in the snow & managed to drive the car in a manor that never threw up any hairy situations and never got stuck. I was on Uniroyals but cannot remember which type.

Problem is this year I have Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres which do not look to have a great thread pattern for snow, mainly the solid bands I'm worried about.

ContiSportContact2.jpg

Car is Audi A4 1.8T FWD with esp (i know when to turn off esp and when not to when in snow)

Just wondering did anyone drive on these in the snow last year and how did you get on? Are they hopeless or just the same as any other summer tyre?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've moved your post pippip. Most of your questions have been answered in this thread already

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I have Conti Premium Contacts on an Accord 2.0i, and they don't inspire confidence when the temperature drops, yet alone when there is Ice or Snow.

I've parked it up in the past 3 years and used something else in the severe weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

pa990 wrote: »
    prices on eiretyres seem to be creeping upwards, the Goodyear UG7 's that i bought a few weeks ago have increased by €5 each.

i presume that this is a regular thing with winter tyres as the seasons change
    The Conti WinterContact TS830 H rated 15 inch I was looking at have gone up €50 on eiretyres in the last week.

I actually had decided against them and went with the GoodYear UG8s, awaiting shipping notification now.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Apart from eiretyres Is there any other good web site that sells winter.??????

clansman wrote: »

www.camskill.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

clansman wrote: »

I've been waiting since last spring to see if www.camskill.co.uk have vreidsteins quatracs for the wife's Jazz. (I know...Iknow.....all seasons not winters). They never seem to have stock and with the coment of prices going up i bit the bulet last night and bought them on eiretyres. I bought spare steelies january after the snow for her car and it looks like either walkinstown tyres centre or atlas tyres in sandyford are the cheapest places to have them fitted.

Although camskill are closing this Sat for a stock check I'd be tempted not to wait much longer if you see stuff at a decent price in stock anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

The Conti WinterContact TS830 H rated 15 inch I was looking at have gone up €50 on eiretyres in the last week.

I actually had decided against them and went with the GoodYear UG8s, awaiting shipping notification now.

I ordered the same Conti's last Thursday only T rated, Just arrived, happy days.:)
    Checked the site and the set of 4 have gone up €24 in the week.
    The delivery man said he had 11 sets in the van today.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

Has anyone bought rethreads in winter tyres? I was inquiring about part worns, and he offered me these for 50 quid each and says they are ok.

I would be a bit dubious about this , anyone know what theyre like?:confused:

Has anyone bought rethreads in winter tyres? I was inquiring about part worns, and he offered me these for 50 quid each and says they are ok.

I would be a bit dubious about this , anyone know what theyre like?:confused:
    Hmm, why would you even investigate when EUR50 is more than 16" Partworn Winters and only a fiver less than 17"s?
    I dont like the idea of rethreads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Anyone know of anyone in Dublin (ideally the north side) that does partworn winters?

Advertisement