Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

what does all that mean for every1 else.
    ESP on/off in icy conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

49801 wrote: »
    what does all that mean for every1 else.
    ESP on/off in icy conditions?

ESP, VSA all that kinda crap stays on.

unless you need a bit of power for a run up to a hill then off but try not to slide !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

robbie_998 wrote: »
    ESP, VSA all that kinda crap stays on.

unless you need a bit of power for a run up to a hill then off but try not to slide !

why have i it in my head that you should turn off esp (etc.) off?
    i must of misunderstood something along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Ok, finally got my winter wheels. Woo hoo.

225/50/17 for my 530D.

What's the yay/nay for second had tiers brought in from Germany?

Sorry if this has been asked before. i just put two new Michelins on the rear and am down a few Euros.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

49801 wrote: »
    why have i it in my head that you should turn off esp (etc.) off?

Some fella in a pub probably told you one time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its probably in the manual. It might be helpful to spin the wheels in some circumstance, if you were actually stuck. But in general, you don't want to spin the wheels, so always leave it on.

That said I didn't notice any difference last year between a car with ABS/ESP and it off, or another car without any of those aids. Better tyres (summers) made more of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

You need to turn off your esp if you need to maintain momentum.

Generally only at a slow speed up an incline.

Crawling up an incline is asking to get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭dubdamo

Lads,I am looking at getting a set of steel wheels with winter tyres from eiretyres. I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4 diesel Ecomotive.They run on quite skinny tyres - 165/70/R14 81T. I went onto the website,found Seat 1.4 TDI with the same wheel size and was about to order a set of wheels with Vredestein Snowtrac 3 tyres. Decided to ring to make sure I had the right wheels but the girl on the phone had terrible english. Just wondering how far wrong can you get it if you order the same wheel size as I am doing. Basically the Ecomotive is'nt listed on their site. Sorry if this is a stupid question,just don't want to spend 460 euro on wheels that wont fit.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

BostonB wrote: »

Sometimes you don't have a choice. Outside our apartment is a dead end with 20m - 30m of flat before an incline, makes for great entertainment during the snow with people who just floor it and get nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BostonB wrote: »
    If you can't stop and start on an incline without getting stuck then you're ... on the wrong tyres.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

txpjl wrote: »
    Ok, finally got my winter wheels. Woo hoo.

225/50/17 for my 530D.

Hey

May I ask how much they cost and where were they sourced?

I'm looking for exactly that size for my Skoda.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

dubdamo wrote: »
    Lads,I am looking at getting a set of steel wheels with winter tyres from eiretyres. I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4 diesel Ecomotive.They run on quite skinny tyres - 165/70/R14 81T. I went onto the website,found Seat 1.4 TDI with the same wheel size and was about to order a set of wheels with Vredestein Snowtrac 3 tyres. Decided to ring to make sure I had the right wheels but the girl on the phone had terrible english. Just wondering how far wrong can you get it if you order the same wheel size as I am doing. Basically the Ecomotive is'nt listed on their site. Sorry if this is a stupid question,just don't want to spend 460 euro on wheels that wont fit.:D

Had a look there and found the tyres you were looking at, they are Q rated up to 160km max not T rated 190km max, mind you I doubt you intend breaking the speed limit by 40km during winter.
    I'm no expert but there are 175's that are T rated that you would get away with but I recon unless you like to speed go with the right size, just make sure that your 5 hole/nuts on your car and that the ones you order are the same.
    Give Seat a buzz tomorrow to make sure.
    Fitted mine today from same place took 8 days delivery, like a kid with a new toy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭dubdamo

No1J wrote: »
    Had a look there and found the tyres you were looking at, they are Q rated up to 160km max not T rated 190km max, mind you I doubt you intend breaking the speed limit by 40km during winter.
    I'm no expert but there are 175's that are T rated that you would get away with but I recon unless you like to speed go with the right size, just make sure that your 5 hole/nuts on your car and that the ones you order are the same.
    Give Seat a buzz tomorrow to make sure.
    Fitted mine today from same place took 8 days delivery, like a kid with a new toy.:)
    Thanks for that,no wont be breaking any speed limits by 40km,and yes they are 5 hole nuts,will be putting in an order tomorrow before they run out of them

Without meaning to be smart, the tyres will be on from November to March, ie not just during the snow & ice. If you're quite sure that you won't be exceeding 160km/h during that period then fair enough.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Anan1 wrote: »
    Without meaning to be smart, the tyres will be on from November to March, ie not just during the snow & ice. If you're quite sure that you won't be exceeding 160km/h during that period then fair enough.:)

Know what your saying but you do know he is driving 1.4D, topping out 160km/h on a good day, no way tyre companies fly close to the wind, at least + 30%, safe as houses.

Know what your saying but you do know he is driving 1.4D, topping out 160km/h on a good day,
    I missed that bit.:o

Hey

May I ask how much they cost and where were they sourced?

I'm looking for exactly that size for my Skoda.

Many thanks

Origional wheels from an 05/06 5 series. Euro 300. Mint condition.
    From a contact I picked up while checking on Donedeal for tyers.
    In Chair, Co Tipp.

I still need to get winter rubber but coming soon. Euro 100 to 160, I guess for used tyers in from Germany. A place I'm using in Chair also. PM me if you need the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carz

In Chair, Co Tipp.

I still need to get winter rubber but coming soon. Euro 100 to 160, I guess for used tyers in from Germany. A place I'm using in Chair also. PM me if you need the number.

Hmmm, why put used tyres on when for "Euro 100 to 160" you can get new Dunlop 4D's fitted in your size for Euro 200each. PM me if you wanna more info.

In Chair, Co Tipp.

If they're 205/55R16H then eiretyres have them new for €123.50 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 carz

He said they are 225/50 R17, they're €183.40 on Eire tyres plus fitting, think I got a good deal got mine fitted and balanced to spare wheels for 200each, what u think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Anybody bought Vredestein Quatracs?

And does anyone know of a stockist in Donegal or failing that perhaps Dublin.
    I have a list of stockists from the vredestein website but would rather hear from someone on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

4 195/65/r15 dunlop winter sport 4d ordered from camskill today. Best price I could get here was similar but was half way up the country. Local places doing chinese junk for around 75/80 a corner. Or "part worn"which actually turns out to mean "remoulds".

carz wrote: »
    Hmmm, why put used tyres on when for "Euro 100 to 160" you can get new Dunlop 4D's fitted in your size for Euro 200each. PM me if you wanna more info.

Euro 100 to 160 for all four 2nd hand (used).

no, they are 225, 50 17's. that's the current summer tyers on there.

My car is a 530D. What is the range of profiles I can use? can I use 45 or 55?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm not at all happy with the performance of the 2 new "cheaper" tyres that I bought from a highly-regarded place on this forum - any hint of a wet road + bend and it starts slipping and the traction control light starts going mad.

Is it too soon to put on winter tyres? Ideally of course I'd have 2 complete sets of alloys - one with winter, one with summer - but I'm not having much joy trying to get cheap alloys for the car :(

carz wrote: »
    He said they are 225/50 R17, they're €183.40 on Eire tyres plus fitting, think I got a good deal got mine fitted and balanced to spare wheels for 200each, what u think?
    Sounds like you did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'm not at all happy with the performance of the 2 new "cheaper" tyres that I bought from a highly-regarded place on this forum - any hint of a wet road + bed and it starts slipping and the traction control light starts going mad.

Is it too soon to put on winter tyres? Ideally of course I'd have 2 complete sets of alloys - one with winter, one with summer - but I'm not having much joy trying to get cheap alloys for the car :(

Way too early,what were the 2 new tyres you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Way too early,what were the 2 new tyres you bought?

apparently not, was snowing lastnight in places :eek:

• Advertisement

If you can't stop and start on an incline without getting stuck then you're ... on the wrong tyres.;)

True. :D

Advertisement