Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Are winter tyres classed by insurance companies as a modification?

No has no effect on 123.ie anyway according to a prev post a couple of pages back. check with your own ins co.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

49801 wrote: »
    a winter tyre must have the mountain and snowflake.
    a winter tyre may have the M&S but does not mean it is a true winter tyre on its own

I just got a set of Goodyear Ultragrip 8's and they have the mountain / snowflake mark and also the M & S. As far as I was aware, the Ultragrip 8 was a proper winter tyre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I just got a set of Goodyear Ultragrip 8's and they have the mountain / snowflake mark and also the M & S. As far as I was aware, the Ultragrip 8 was a proper winter tyre ?
    It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

carz wrote: »
    You should try Falken ZE912, great tyre and great value, but they are a summer tyre! They also do a winter tyre, gets good re views but I haven't tried them myself.:)

The ZE912 is an All Season tyre, not a Summer tyre, but its poor performance in Snow and Ice makes it "like" a summer tyre performance wise. Id avoid it, it doesnt excel at anything.
    http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/ZIEX-ZE-912-2

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carz

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The ZE912 is an All Season tyre, not a Summer tyre, but its poor performance in Snow and Ice makes it "like" a summer tyre performance wise. Id avoid it, it doesnt excel at anything.
    http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/ZIEX-ZE-912-2

Hi, sorry about that but if you take a look at the review http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE912.htm here and they seem to think they are summer tyres too, I wouldn't recommend them for the winter, I was just giving an option for good mid range tyre for a person on this board.

• Advertisement

Hi, sorry about that but if you take a look at the review http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE912.htm here and they seem to think they are summer tyres too, I wouldn't recommend them for the winter, I was just giving an option for good mid range tyre for a person on this board.

Yep saw that, but the manufacturer made and advertises them as All Seasons. Maybe the retailer sells them as Summers due to their Winter performance. I had a set myself too, its these that put me off All Seasons in general.

I also had a set of Falken 452's which I thought were very good (Summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

just recived my winters today, going to be a tight fit on my little subaru vivio, when are people going to put there tyre's on, is november the 1st the time or just wait for the first freeze,

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

tuborg_man wrote: »
    just recived my winters today, going to be a tight fit on my little subaru vivio, when are people going to put there tyre's on, is november the 1st the time or just wait for the first freeze,
    If there is no other driver other than suitability for the conditions (eg current tyres needing replacing due to wear) then either wait for the first proper cold spell or anticipate it based on previous patterns.

Winter tyres are designed to outperform summers once the temperature goes below 7 degrees C. Anecdotally they only seem to really come into their own once you hit 4-5 degrees.

Going on the tests available online winter tyres surpass summers in all conditions except dry once you get to this point. There doesn't seem to be a clear picture on what temperature is needed for winters to outperform summers in dry braking.

So you could just look at average temperatures for previous years and base your change on that!

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=875

I stuck mine on early this year as my summers had worn out, usually put them on around november or when there was a good morning frost over the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Is there any other places that people would use for part worn tyres?

Tyreland don't seem to have any part worn winter tyres in at the moment.

I'm undecided whether I'll bother going for brand new tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

walkinstown tyres

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Shane732 wrote: »

try autodepot in cookstown or castlewarden, i've only being to the castlewarden depot but no complaints so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carz

If your not yet decided, take a look at http://www.cisionwire.com/red-marlin-communications/r/more-drivers-taking-dangerous-risks-with-part-worn-tyres,c479283, it might change your mind.

I have new winters ready to go on and I keep wondering why anyone would buy tyres that somebody else has taken off for resons unknown to the part-worn buyer!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

If your not yet decided, take a look at http://www.cisionwire.com/red-marlin-communications/r/more-drivers-taking-dangerous-risks-with-part-worn-tyres,c479283, it might change your mind.

I have new winters ready to go on and I keep wondering why anyone would buy tyres that somebody else has taken off for resons unknown to the part-worn buyer!:confused:

in germany etc they have to replace their winters when down to 4mm thread.
    under 4mm the tyre will not preform in snow and slush and it is the law there.

In ireland to be fair we dont experience those conditions. Ice is the problem and the law is 1.6mm thread regardless of time of year.

So I'am happy that the part worn I have purchased is ok.
    just no longer suitable for the previous owner.
    it will be interesting when i do put these on. I hope my part worns will last me 2/3 winters

worth a punt for 140e for 4
    new would of been 500-600e for 4

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

49801 wrote: »
    In ireland to be fair we dont experience those conditions.

Apart from last winter.

Oh, and the winter before...

Um, the cost, its not that hard to figure out! :rolleyes:
    80% of the life of the tyre for 25% of the cost. I have 4 cars to field, buying new winters for all would be a huge waste of money given the alternative that [good] part worns offer.

Had partworns for nearly 3 years now, all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Apart from last winter.

Oh, and the winter before...

And the one before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Um, the cost, its not that hard to figure out! :rolleyes:
    80% of the life of the tyre for 25% of the cost. I have 4 cars to field, buying new winters for all would be a huge waste of money given the alternative that [good] part worns offer.

Had partworns for nearly 3 years now, all good.

Hay Matt
    80% I think is a bit of a stretch as is the 25% price, if it's not Name and number of supplier please.:)
    I priced second's with a well known Supplier and was quoted for 4 @ €48 + €40 per fitting, 6 mm thread. this would get me around 3 years with a total cost of €432.
    I went for new with steel wheels supplied which would be good for 5 years, I'll change them over myself. Total cost €524.
    To get the other 2 years on second's would cost me €352, Total for the 5 years €784.
    I've no crystal ball for what could happen to the tyres over the 5 years but fingers crossed I will save €260 and have the peace of mind that I will know how they were driven, also IMO I have much better tyres from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Can i get 18" winter tyres, part worn? Would they come in low profile, and as wide as 225.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Quite apart from the price and wear issues - how do you know the previous owner didn't kerb them at every opportunity and they are only waiting to burst a sidewall ?

No1J wrote: »
    Hay Matt
    80% I think is a bit of a stretch as is the 25% price, if it's not Name and number of supplier please.:)
    I priced second's with a well known Supplier and was quoted for 4 @ €48 + €40 per fitting, 6 mm thread. this would get me around 3 years with a total cost of €432.
    I went for new with steel wheels supplied which would be good for 5 years, I'll change them over myself. Total cost €524.
    To get the other 2 years on second's would cost me €352, Total for the 5 years €784.
    I've no crystal ball for what could happen to the tyres over the 5 years but fingers crossed I will save €260 and have the peace of mind that I will know how they were driven, also IMO I have much better tyres from new.

Well the winters I've been looking at are coming in at around €904 versus €380 for the same make and model of part worn tyres.

Now ultimately the difference in price between the two for me doesn't make a huge amount of difference but it's difficult to justify going out spending the extra money on tyres for a car that I'm more than likely going to have sold in 2/3 years time.

Quite apart from the price and wear issues - how do you know the previous owner didn't kerb them at every opportunity and they are only waiting to burst a sidewall ?

How many tyres have burst on me since I've been driving?

(thank God)

Now ultimately the difference in price between the two for me doesn't make a huge amount of difference but it's difficult to justify going out spending the extra money on tyres for a car that I'm more than likely going to have sold in 2/3 years time.
    On the other hand you'll most likely get the 2-3 years out of new ones whereas you mightn't do with the part-worns.

Can i get 18" winter tyres, part worn? Would they come in low profile, and as wide as 225.

yea.... I'm looking at 225's at the moment.

Anan1 wrote: »
    On the other hand you'll most likely get the 2-3 years out of new ones whereas you mightn't do with the part-worns.

If there's 6mm thread on them then I'll get 2/3 years out of them.

If there's 6mm thread on them then I'll get 2/3 years out of them.
    Not unless you're doing very little mileage. 3-4mm is as low as i'd go on summers, and AFAIK winters need appreciably more tread than summers to work. Remember also that you'll have them on the car from the start of Nov to the end of February at a minimum - that's four months of the year. I'm not saying don't buy part-worns, it's just that the savings mightn't be as big as one would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No1J wrote: »
    The snow flake means Winter tyre and the M+S is more All season I think:confused: seen it on an American tyre test on You tube a while back.

Snow flake indicates the tyre was designed for cold weather (winter). Usually this means a different compound and more flexible tyre walls which allow the car be more forgiving before losing grip.
    M+S merely refers to the thread pattern, usually more blocky and open sipes than 'normal' threads to get better grip in squishy surfaces such mud or snow.

You can have M+S without the snowflake and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Well the winters I've been looking at are coming in at around €904 versus €380 for the same make and model of part worn tyres.

Doubt that includes the €240 for changing the tyres twice a year x 3, up to you, your driving a nice car, don't know what year but 4-5 year olds are still €20.000+, your going to save about €100 a year, your call.

• Advertisement

I'm going into my third year on two contis and second on the bridgestones, they are practically new with lots of thread, I'd say I'll get another 2 winters out of them provided we actually do get a winter this year...

Advertisement