Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Apart from last winter.

Oh, and the winter before...

I cant agree with you I'am afraid.
    coditions i experienced was a lite covering of snow that was compacted by road users and turned into ice.

slush only really occurs in the immediate hours around snow fall

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurricane147

Hello,
    I am considering ordering tyres from Camskill.
    Their website says they only deliver from Monday to Friday, I will be at work then. I can't get any informative reply from them as to what happens in that case. Has anyone any experience of what happens Camskill deliveries if you are out?
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hello,
    I am considering ordering tyres from Camskill.
    Their website says they only deliver from Monday to Friday, I will be at work then. I can't get any informative reply from them as to what happens in that case. Has anyone any experience of what happens Camskill deliveries if you are out?
    Thank you

The courier will ring you, get them delivered to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If I'm putting Winter Tyres on now, do they work well on wet roads. The kind of wet roads we are getting now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

If I'm putting Winter Tyres on now, do they work well on wet roads. The kind of wet roads we are getting now?

No Expert but short answer, Yes.
    Mine are on over a week now and are only bedding in but I have been pushing a bit hard in safe tight corners and I'm smiling.
    They rely come into there own when the temp goes below 7C, as summer tyres start to loose grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

No1J wrote: »
    Doubt that includes the €240 for changing the tyres twice a year x 3, up to you, your driving a nice car, don't know what year but 4-5 year olds are still €20.000+, your going to save about €100 a year, your call.

What? €240 for changing the tyres twice a year? Could you explain what you mean by this?

€20k+, fu*k me that's some horrible depreciation I've suffered from when I bought the car at the end of March!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I have winter tyres on now for the last few days and I have to say I haven't noticed any loss of grip at all. They are slightly louder on the road but it isn't significant.

This will be my first winter with them on so I am fascinated to see how they work particularly in and around the estate if conditions get bad.

I have been told that they will transform the car in snow and ice so it will be interesting to see the benefit as I can hardly count the people that have told me that I am mad to have forked out.

Shane732 wrote: »
    What? €240 for changing the tyres twice a year? Could you explain what you mean by this?

€20k+, fu*k me that's some horrible depreciation I've suffered from when I bought the car at the end of March!

I thought you were getting them changed over in a tyre garage, on in winter off in summer, average charge €40 each time, €80 per year x 3 years + €240, QED.

Now how do I say this nicely to you, Second hand rubber on your motor.:confused:

P.S Very nice motor but €20.000 would be about right for the depreciation of it so far since March.:eek:

Good luck with the Winters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hay Matt
    80% I think is a bit of a stretch as is the 25% price, if it's not Name and number of supplier please.:)
    I priced second's with a well known Supplier and was quoted for 4 @ €48 + €40 per fitting, 6 mm thread. this would get me around 3 years with a total cost of €432.
    I went for new with steel wheels supplied which would be good for 5 years, I'll change them over myself. Total cost €524.
    To get the other 2 years on second's would cost me €352, Total for the 5 years €784.
    I've no crystal ball for what could happen to the tyres over the 5 years but fingers crossed I will save €260 and have the peace of mind that I will know how they were driven, also IMO I have much better tyres from new.

What brand are the new tyres? 4 x new tyres on 4x new steel wheels for €524 makes me wonder what brand those tyres are. If you are comparing the price of new vs. part-worns, you have to compare the same brands in fairness.

My part-worns were €48 each fitted, so €192 in total. I bought a spare set of alloys for €120. €312 in total. If you are going to run a set of tyres for 3 winters, you'd be mad to spend €240 on getting them put on and taken off twice for 3 years when you can get a set of used alloys for €100 to €150.

Closest I can find to the tyres (Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3) are minimum €120 supply only each, so €480 plus €40 fitting, so €520 in total compared with €192. If I get two winters out of them I'll be happy enough, a new set would probably only get me another winter.

So getting 3 years wear out of a new set compared with 2 years wear from a part worn set:
    New = €173 per winter
    Part worn = €96 per winter

I was able to inspect the tyres I bought and I'm happy that the individual testing done on each tyre is suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

49801 wrote: »
    I cant agree with you I'am afraid.
    coditions i experienced was a lite covering of snow that was compacted by road users and turned into ice.

slush only really occurs in the immediate hours around snow fall

Where the feck have you been last two winters ?

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    What brand are the new tyres? 4 x new tyres on 4x new steel wheels for €524 makes me wonder what brand those tyres are. If you are comparing the price of new vs. part-worns, you have to compare the same brands in fairness.

My part-worns were €48 each fitted, so €192 in total. I bought a spare set of alloys for €120. €312 in total. If you are going to run a set of tyres for 3 winters, you'd be mad to spend €240 on getting them put on and taken off twice for 3 years when you can get a set of used alloys for €100 to €150.

Closest I can find to the tyres (Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3) are minimum €120 supply only each, so €480 plus €40 fitting, so €520 in total compared with €192. If I get two winters out of them I'll be happy enough, a new set would probably only get me another winter.

So getting 3 years wear out of a new set compared with 2 years wear from a part worn set:
    New = €173 per winter
    Part worn = €96 per winter

I was able to inspect the tyres I bought and I'm happy that the individual testing done on each tyre is suitable.

Continental Wintercontact TS 830's

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Continental Wintercontact TS 830's

They must be 195/15 or something based on the price you got (I presume on eiretyres) - in which case I'd wonder about the price you got for the part-worns @ €48 plus fitting. My part-worns were €48 incl. fitting for the Dunlops, while a steel wheel and new tyre package with similar Dunlop tyres start at €824 for me.

Anyway I don't think your sums make sense if for the part-worns you are costing changing them over each time but for the new tyres you are getting a set of steel wheels.

PauloMN wrote: »
    They must be 195/15 or something based on the price you got (I presume on eiretyres) - in which case I'd wonder about the price you got for the part-worns @ €48 plus fitting. My part-worns were €48 incl. fitting for the Dunlops, while a steel wheel and new tyre package with similar Dunlop tyres start at €824 for me.

Anyway I don't think your sums make sense if for the part-worns you are costing changing them over each time but for the new tyres you are getting a set of steel wheels.

Yes and Yes to the first part, no need to wonder that was what I was quoted, I mentioned which brands were available and was told to come over and have a look, "main brands".
    Getting a set of second hand alloys or steel's would be more cost affective, if you could be bothered going to scrap yards etc.
    If you do the change over thing it's €80 a year apart from the hassle.
    I was pricing the tyres on an average millage of around 10-12.000 mls per year so changing two sets of new tyres 50/50 should last 5 years.
    The part worn are around 6mm instead of 10mm so would need replacing after 3 years.
    You done very well to get a set for (16"-17") alloy's for €120, don't see how they would sell 4 alloy wheels for the price of one of your tyres. My 4 new steels cost about €140 but the tyres were fitted so I save the €40 fee.
    On another note I think they charge far too much as the tyres go bigger in size, an extra €300 for your extra 1"-2" is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I thought you were getting them changed over in a tyre garage, on in winter off in summer, average charge €40 each time, €80 per year x 3 years + €240, QED.

Now how do I say this nicely to you, Second hand rubber on your motor.:confused:

P.S Very nice motor but €20.000 would be about right for the depreciation of it so far since March.:eek:

Good luck with the Winters.

Do you know what I'm driving? You're talking through your ar*e.

Really makes me doubt the prices you've given in relation to your new and part worn tyres....

Also if the tyres you are pricing are only 15's then they wouldn't even begin to go over my brakes! I need min of 17's.

I'm getting a second set of alloys so getting the tyres fitted will be a once off.

Where the feck have you been last two winters ?

half hour outside cork city!

if you do end up in slush conditions with less than 4mm thread you just travel slower so you dont aquaplane.

point is i'am happy with part worn for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

49801 wrote: »
    half hour outside cork city!

if you do end up in slush conditions with less than 4mm thread you just travel slower so you dont aquaplane.

point is i'am happy with part worn for the moment.

Ah I see you are in the tropical south :D
    No idea what cold is:p

Ah I see you are in the tropical south :D
    No idea what cold is:p

:D
    ya bloody right.
    i know the weather reports revolves around those in dublin region!
    Indian summer a couple of weeks ago for example! weather was crap in the rest of the country.

We had been dealing with very cold weather and dangerous road conditions previous to when the greater dublin area got hit. when dublin got hit course it was all over the news then!

(in fairness ye did have more snow fall than us in the south... conditions were equally dangerous around here)

Really makes me doubt the prices you've given in relation to your new and part worn tyres....

Also if the tyres you are pricing are only 15's then they wouldn't even begin to go over my brakes! I need min of 17's.

I'm getting a second set of alloys so getting the tyres fitted will be a once off.
    I think the best option might be to drop to 18's, will give me a much better choice.

Personally I think winter tyres will be a must on the 335.

BMW 335, No ?

I have mentioned which tyres I ordered and from where back a few pages, as you started this thread I would have thought you would have seen that, so check the prices if you don't believe me.
    I also named where I was quoted the part worn, you also mentioned them.

I never mentioned that you should get tyres in my size for your car, If I did show me and I do know that you are looking at 17"-18" wheels, so do you still think "I'm talking out of my ar*e"?

You should get another set of alloys but if you bought you car new this year like you said, I wouldn't be putting part worn onto a 60K+ car.
    My other half also drives our car and don't wan't her in a ditch or sitting by the side of the road with a flat from a second hand tyre, hence new winters.
    Don't BMW Ireland (Joe Duffy) do a deal where they change and store your change over tyres for you for a few €100, and if you can afford to trade your car in, in 2/3 years for another new one I'm sure they will bend over backwards for you.
    Stop being a tight hole.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No offence, but I think you're stone mad paying for alloys and then cutting corners on the tyres themselves, especially for a 335i. I got a set for a 320d earlier in the week - Conti 830P SSR in 205/55R16H with steel wheels for £750 delivered, from www.tyreman.co.uk - were I in your shoes, i'd be looking for the same thing in 17". Fur coat & no knickers is a very bad approach to winter wheels & tyres.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LOL thats some analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Well it looks like this winter won't be as bad as the previous year, still some snow on the cards and looks like January will be a hell of a month.. Although nothing compared again to previous..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74907235&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Anan1 wrote: »
    No offence, but I think you're stone mad paying for alloys and then cutting corners on the tyres themselves, especially for a 335i. I got a set for a 320d earlier in the week - Conti 830P SSR in 205/55R16H with steel wheels for £750 delivered, from www.tyreman.co.uk - were I in your shoes, i'd be looking for the same thing in 17". Fur coat & no knickers is a very bad approach to winter wheels & tyres.:)

I had a look on the tyreman site and it seems to be wholesale/business to business only.....

Is there a retail section on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a look on the tyreman site and it seems to be wholesale/business to business only.....

Is there a retail section on the site?
    Sorry, it's actually tyremen, not man! www.tyremen.co.uk. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Well it looks like this winter won't be as bad as the previous year, still some snow on the cards and looks like January will be a hell of a month.. Although nothing compared again to previous..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74907235&postcount=1

Makes no odds - you are still better off with winter tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So I'm planning on taking the all weather/alloys off the Corsa and putting on winters/steal rims when the cold snap hits.

Made some inquerys today, one fitter had tyres in the 50 and 60 per corner price range. One of the 50's were Goodrides. Question is, are they any good, and will they survive in the garage between cold snaps.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

irish-stew wrote: »
    So I'm planning on taking the all weather/alloys off the Corsa and putting on winters/steal rims when the cold snap hits.

Made some inquerys today, one fitter had tyres in the 50 and 60 per corner price range. One of the 50's were Goodrides. Question is, are they any good, and will they survive in the garage between cold snaps.

Cheers in advance.

No, they are not good.
    What size tyres are you planning to use?

CiniO wrote: »
    No, they are not good.
    What size tyres are you planning to use?

175/65 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Cheers in advance.

Never heard of them TBH. As long as there not chinese they should be OK.

50 for a good ride isnt bad(parden the pun):pac:

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Never heard of them TBH. As long as there not chinese they should be OK.

50 for a good ride isnt bad(parden the pun):pac:

I didn't think they were, but doing a bit more research I think they are.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I didn't think they were, but doing a bit more research I think they are.

:(

There is a thread here on winter tyres somewhere with recomendations of various brands etc. Vredsrein wintracs would be my choice but will be more expensive.

Advertisement