Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just remembered, the guy in the shop might have said €60 and €70 depending on brand. With the goodrides in the 60 range.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just remembered, the guy in the shop might have said €60 and €70 depending on brand. With the goodrides in the 60 range.

:o

Hence that goodrides on eiretyres would be the cheapest of all winter tyres, and in your size they are at €46.10.
    http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=39255244.124.19670&typ=R-147257&ranzahl=4&Breite=175&Quer=65&Felge=14&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

Ones I adviced you, come less then €9 more expensive per tyre, but difference in grip would be really significent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So winter tires and snow tires are different are they?

The father was asking me today bout them.

He drives a hi-ace and starts work 364 days of the year around 4.30 am and the roads are generally never salted or gritted when he is on the road.

Is his best option these tires or snow socks?

yop wrote: »

He drives a hi-ace and starts work 364 days of the year around 4.30 am and the roads are generally never salted or gritted when he is on the road.

There is a difference between Winters and Snow tyres as far as I know. As for snow socks they are only any good if there is actully snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

-Corkie- wrote: »
    There is a thread here on winter tyres somewhere with recomendations of various brands etc. Vredsrein wintracs would be my choice but will be more expensive.

Merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Have a look on the Continental tyres home page, they say that tyres marked with the M+S marking are best for mud and snow, bigger grips for the loose stuff.
    Tyres marked with the snowflake are winters, good in very cold conditions, icy roads and snow. some tyres are marked with both to complicate matters.
    I went with the snowflake marked ones as in the city last year I had no problem driving in the snow, the biggest problem was getting grip on compacted ice, out the country a bit the M+S and snowflake marked tyres might come into their own.

So I'm planning on taking the all weather/alloys off the Corsa and putting on winters/steal rims when the cold snap hits.

Made some inquerys today, one fitter had tyres in the 50 and 60 per corner price range. One of the 50's were Goodrides. Question is, are they any good, and will they survive in the garage between cold snaps.

Cheers in advance.

Do you have the second set of wheels already?
    Goodridge are around €45 or €85 with new steel wheels, dont know much about them but as they are the cheapest?
    Good tyres that I can recomend are around €80 and €110 with the steel wheels.
    If you have good summers on buying crap winters is a wast of money.
    You would get part worn main brands for around €35/€40 in your size.

No1J wrote: »
    Do you have the second set of wheels already?
    Goodridge are around €45 or €85 with new steel wheels, dont know much about them but as they are the cheapest?
    Good tyres that I can recomend are around €80 and €110 with the steel wheels.
    If you have good summers on buying crap winters is a wast of money.
    You would get part worn main brands for around €35/€40 in your size.

Have the steel rims already, were kept when Alloys were put on the car, so any winters brought would be put on them.

The summers/multi-season that I have on the car already not satisfied with as they are, would defo not be happy to drive on them if snow/ice hit the roads.

Have the steel rims already, were kept when Alloys were put on the car, so any winters brought would be put on them.

The summers/multi-season that I have on the car already not satisfied with as they are, would defo not be happy to drive on them if snow/ice hit the roads.

The German AA (ADAC) just published their latest Winter Tyre test

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests...cePageId=31821

They tested on 195/65/15, and only one Tire failed completely, the Trayal Artica.

The Falken Eurowinter also didn't fare very well, especially on Snow. Best on snow were the Conti WinterContact and the Fulda Kristall.

German ratings go from 1 (Very good) to 6 (terrible).

This test swung things for me.
    If you are out the country with soft snow I'd go with the Vredestein, if the forecast is right then this year won't be as bad as last so your looking at frost then maybe the Bridgestone Blizzak or the Goodyear Ultra grip 8, all around the €70 mark.

If you are having probs opening it go back to page 28 post 408.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Winter tyres would be ideal for him, particularly if he's planning to keep the van for a few years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lad, I must tell him then to get winter tires.

Can I ask a stupid question, but what is the difference between them and a standard tire?
    Would he take them off then when the ice and snow goes or just use them until they wear?
    He probably goes through 2 sets per year.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Can I ask a stupid question, but what is the difference between them and a standard tire?
    Would he take them off then when the ice and snow goes or just use them until they wear?

Thanks
    Winter tyres are made from a rubber compound which keeps its flexibility in lower temperatures. Summer tyre harden below 7degrees and hence lessen their grip. Also the thread patterns on winter tyres are completely different to summer tyres. You will notice on a winter tyre the fine zigzag threads (perpendicular to the main thread of the tyre). These thread expand and tightens on the snow as the tyre rotates and makes contact with the road (like a clenching fist), but also expand after contact with the road to eject the snow. So the threads don't build up with snow and become ineffective. That's a very basic description of how winter tyres work.

As for taking them off, probably around March/April, whenever the temperature climbs above 7 degrees. Don't drive them all year round as it will be a waste of your investment. Just rotate them with a set of summer tyres and you should get a couple of seasons out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi all was at the garage today and noticed that they had Bridgestone All Weather tyres

when I asked about them I was told that they are much better suited to this country because winter tyres are not so good if the temperature hits above 7 degrees

what do ye think ? I have the link at the bottom

http://www.bridgestone.ie/tyres/car-4x4-and-van/car/all-weather/a001-all-weather#

pm. wrote: »
    Hi all was at the garage today and noticed that they had Bridgestone All Weather tyres

I've merged your thread with this one, as you'll find all your questions have been answered here already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

when I asked about them I was told that they are much better suited to this country because winter tyres are not so good if the temperature hits above 7 degrees

http://www.bridgestone.ie/tyres/car-4x4-and-van/car/all-weather/a001-all-weather#
    Winters are usable all year round here as we tend to have short crap summers. Most All Seasons are quite poor in Winter IMO, a couple are as good as the bottom of the pack Winters. I would much rather have them over Summers for sure, but for an average car doing average or lower mileage a set of Winters is more useful.

For high mileage or fast car 2 sets of wheels/tyres is much better (summer and winter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

(Mods - begging you not to merge this with the main winter tyres thread - its very hard to read through 48pages of information.) :)

Want to get winter tyres cause dont want to get stuck in the winter as im a few miles from the shop!...

Did a search on eiretyres with my tyre size, and im getting 37 results..from €50 per tyre to €133 per tyre..

I need help choosing which brand of tyre... just want something thatll do the job...without paying over the odds...

any recommendations?? heres my search results http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=54176447.124.30121&ranzahl=4&Breite=185&Quer=55&Felge=15&Speed=H&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi&Ang_pro_Seite=50&sort_by=preis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Those bridgestone all seasons look very good, there almost are identical to my blizzak lm-32's which have been brill so far, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them they were only launched last year for our specific winters and the reviews are ok here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

6 degrees and sleet in sligo today. Snow on the hills on donegal according to someone on the weather forum. Me thinks it might be time to put the winter wheels on!!

Edit:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1017/weather.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Kit engage winter tyres.. "Winter tyres engaged" ..

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Kit engage winter tyres.. "Winter tyres engaged" ..

:pac:

"Michael, do you want M+S, Snowflake, or both . . .?"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Get the Blizzaks for €98 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Imho best price/performance is the Nokian WR D3 185/55 R15 86H XL BSW for EUR 88,90

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I think I heard my tyres purr when the guage read 4.5 degrees this morning :pac:.

Better get my act on. 6.5 on the screen last night.

:D
    6 degrees and sleet in sligo today. Snow on the hills on donegal according to someone on the weather forum. Me thinks it might be time to put the winter wheels on!!

Edit:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1017/weather.html

Slighty off topic, I love the way RTE talked about Donegal on the news last night, and showed a picture of a road in Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Thanks

If he's going through 2 sets a year then it makes sense to just use them til they wear, assuming he changes in the next month or two as he won't need a new set of rims or have to pay someone to change them over if he's getting new tyres anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

They tell you that because its all they have in stock.

If they had winters they d sell you them as a) they are more expensive and b) they know you ll also prob need summers too and are likely to come back.

I went into fast fit last year and they gave me the same s'hit. I got my winters elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm going to get Starmaxx winter tyres fitted at the end of the month. Does anyone know if these are of decent quality? I am paying 240 for them, including the fitting and only need them for Nov-March.

• Advertisement

Tremelo wrote: »
    I'm going to get Starmaxx winter tyres fitted at the end of the month. Does anyone know if these are of decent quality? I am paying 240 for them, including the fitting and only need them for Nov-March.

Any reviews online for them?A quick google indicates they're a Turkish company and probably a budget brand.

Advertisement