Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Any reviews online for them?A quick google indicates they're a Turkish company and probably a budget brand.

No reviews as such, but nothing bad out there about them either. Was wondering of anyone here had experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sorry, it's actually tyremen, not man! www.tyremen.co.uk. :o

Thanks for coming back to me. For 4x Vreidstein Quatrac III's (175x65x14) on my wifes Honda Jazz they quoted 55gbp a piece so thats 220gbp plus 40gbp shipping totalling 260gbp. I got them delivered from eiretryres(Delti) for 259.60eur so in this case eiretyres winds hands down....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Tremelo wrote: »
    I'm going to get Starmaxx winter tyres fitted at the end of the month. Does anyone know if these are of decent quality? I am paying 240 for them, including the fitting and only need them for Nov-March.

Just something to keep in mind, there is an E mark on tyres that are suitable for use in the E.U. if your tyres don't have that mark you will fail the NCT and I am sure insurance companies would not cover you.
    Starmaxx are a Turkish manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No1J wrote: »
    Just something to keep in mind, there is an E mark on tyres that are suitable for use in the E.U. if your tyres don't have that mark you will fail the NCT and I am sure insurance companies would not cover you.

I am getting Starmaxx too

They have been selling here for a while for tractor tyres etc

they have EU certificates for their tyres on their website
    http://www.starmaxx.com.tr/page_en.php?ID=12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

To be fair, some of the tyres classed as a complete fail by the ADAC in Germany for the All Season/Winter tyre categorys in the past few years must have had the E mark since it was a EU test.

I would not hold much faith in the E mark but good point, it may have the snowflake mark (which is a better sign of quality) but may for some reason not have the E mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Good reminder - thanks!
    I need new tyres and have my nct in a few weeks.
    I'm reading this thread because I was going to get 2 front winter tyres (I can't afford 2 let alone 4, so just getting 2 for now), I dont drive that much (10,000 miles per year - if that) and was going to go into fast fit to get them done tonight.

but reading what another poster has said - they wont have winter tyres and will try and persuade me the all weather ones are as good.
    Any more opinions on where I could try and get 2 winter tyres fitted (I wouldn't do it myself).
    thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bbk wrote: »
    I would not hold much faith in the E mark but good point, it may have the snowflake mark (which is a better sign of quality) but may for some reason not have the E mark.

I wouldn't put much faith in the NCT. I saw a car pass the NCT with two different sized tyres on the same axle a while ago. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I'm reading this thread because I was going to get 2 front winter tyres

I wouldn't, if I was you. You're going to have a big imbalance between front and rear grip on any wintery surface, inviting snap oversteer.

but reading what another poster has said - they wont have winter tyres and will try and persuade me the all weather ones are as good.
    Any more opinions on where I could try and get 2 winter tyres fitted (I wouldn't do it myself). I need 14*75.
    thanks.

All Weather may not be good but All Seasons can be good for our roads. Mine are brilliant. Not as good as full Winters but I'm very happy with mine. Hankook Optimo 4S

EDIT:
    All Weather, All Season, M+S seem to be from my research into this just names brands use and with regards to M+S there is not meant to be a good test to give it credibility. The snowflake mark is the one to trust as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

All Weather may not be good but All Seasons can be good for our roads. Mine are brilliant. Not as good as full Winters but I'm very happy with mine. Hankook Optimo 4S

Did you have them last winter on your car?
    I've been looking into the Optimo and they seem to get good reviews. I think they have the snowflake symbol as well. How much did you pay for them?

• Advertisement

Didn't know there was a difference between all weather and all season.
    I wish I could just trust the people selling me the tyres to actually tell the truth about what is better for my needs rather than having to second guess them all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wish I could just trust the people selling me the tyres to actually tell the truth about what is better for my needs rather than having to second guess them all the time!
    You may forget that idea right now. Independent reviews and the experiences of others are the only way forward.

Didn't know there was a difference between all weather and all season.

Let me stress that these (along with Winter and Summer tyres) are really just terms they use to categorise tyres. I got into an argument with someone here about a subcategory I used which I read over on Canadian boards which are "Highway Winters".

What you need to look out for in a winter spec tyre is the snowflake mark. I am sure its all over this thread. This mark will let you sift through the lies and salesmanship you may come across.

To the other question about how my tyres, I had two on the rear from last Summer. Fronts were Cooper Summer tyres, fairly nice in the Summer. Awful in the snow and cold roads.

After the first wave of snow my delayed set for the front arrived in Navan (I was too late ordering :o). I drove some N roads to the fitting garage and I almost fell off the road when I decided to see where my limit of grip was for a good A/B comparison.

It was the first time I had driven for a reason off the motorway in the snow and I was terrified at how close I was to going where I wanted to go and completely falling off the road, mind you the back was anchored to the road which I never appreciated till that moment. I had two of the Hankooks on the rear since that August remember.

Got the the fronts fitted and drove home on decent R roads and genuinely, unless I was finding the limit by messing about in a carpark, I never once slipped on any road that Winter. I purposely beached the car in a bank of snow for the craic at the time and then I realised how dumb it was as I went into some deep stuff. I got out of it no bother. I know my Summers would have had me stuck.

Genuinely, I have never known how little control of the car I really had before I did the tests before and after I got the fronts fitted. The difference was as clear as black and white.

During the Summer, they have been quite good. Great in the wet in any season.

Curious how a years worth of tread wear will do this Winter.

This is NOT an advert for the Hankook All Seasons, it is almost a plead on my part to consider any well regarded Snowflake tyre for the winter.

I should add that I did notice a big difference in cold dry roads taking off from a standstill fairly shifty, though I had no opportunity to do an A/B test with that like I did with the snow. So remember, Winter tyres are NOT for the snow! Road temp should dictate your tyres!

I paid about 79 or less for the first two, 80 to 90 for the second two (late on in Winter tyre buying season). They are now 120 a corner. I think Eiretyres and copped on to us educating ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

falken-hs439-k.jpg

I've just ordered these.

In North America they are considered comparable to Dunlops (same company) and get good user reviews.

I don't penny pinch when it comes to tyres and these seem to give premium brand performance and a 20% saving in price.

Anan1 wrote: »
    You may forget that idea right now. Independent reviews and the experiences of others are the only way forward.
    Well, I agree.
    Just went into fastfit and they gave me a quote to fit 4 new Goodyear 'All Weather' tyres @ €115 each - just looked at the goodyear website (to see if they had the snowflake sign on the image of their tyres) and they don't do All Weather tyres at all - they do All Season - which isn't the same thing.
    (As I understand All Weather is good for winter whereas All Season is good spring - autumn?).
    btw - i looked at eiretyres - but they dont have any all weather tyres? Just all season too.
    My tyre size is 175/80/14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

PauloMN wrote: »
    I wouldn't put much faith in the NCT. I saw a car pass the NCT with two different sized tyres on the same axle a while ago. :eek:

But how sick would you feel after spending good money on something you thought was going to make your driving safer this winter only to fail the NCT because your tyres didn't have the E mark.
    Conor Faughnan from the AA mentioned it on RTE yesterday, so knowing our friends at the NCT they will be looking out for this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

But how sick would you feel after spending good money on something you thought was going to make your driving safer this winter only to fail the NCT because your tyres didn't have the E mark.
    Conor Faughnan from the AA mentioned it on RTE yesterday, so knowing our friends at the NCT they will be looking out for this.

True, I take your point - it would be the one time they would check the tyres! :) Also the insurance thing is a good point, you can get you house on insurers looking for any way to get out of paying a claim.

(As I understand All Weather is good for winter whereas All Season is good spring - autumn?).

All Seasons are for all seasons to be an ass about it :p
    All Weather are all weather.

BUT.

Both seem to be just terms and do note denote anything of significance at all. As you pointed out the snowflake symbol does. It just so happens that more tyres marked All Season have this symbol. Now this gives some meaning to either All Season and All Weather as you now know its passed tests to get the snowflake mark. Summer performance is still an unknown I suppose.

Maybe it will mean something in a few years as for the most part all Winters you can get have the symbol so the term Winter tyre actually means something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I bought four Kleber Quadraxer tyres today. They have the Canadian symbol with the snowflake and the mountain peaks. I am hoping that I get to try them out this winter.

I saw this however:
    Just when the consumer appeared to have some clear guidelines for buying winter tires, those industry guidelines are being questioned by Transport Canada and a tire company.

Consumers have been told to look for the pictograph of a mountain with a snowflake on the sidewall, meaning the tire is winter-rated.

The tires are supposed to meet specific performance requirements in "severe winter conditions," according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association of Canada, a trade association to which tire manufacturers belong. The tire industry website at www.betiresmart.ca lists those brands and models on the market that have earned the snowflake and mountain logo, also known as the alpine rating

However, in recent testing carried out by Transport Canada, some tires bearing that logo had only as much grip as some all-season tires.

It was also discovered there was a huge variation in grip among tested tires, with differences as much as 30 per cent between models, according to Nigel Mortimer, head of recalls for Transport Canada.

Mortimer would not name the companies who are selling consumers the poorer alpine-branded tires. "First, look for the snowflake logo, then look at the price of the tire," he said. "Price is an excellent guide to quality in tire choice."

Bridgestone also ran tests and came to a similar conclusion. It's the light-truck and SUV tires that were deemed blatant examples of tires that do not grip at the alpine-approved level, according to Michael Sigillito, director of retail Canadian marketing for the company.

"The alpine snowflake logo is not restricted to winter tires," says Sigillito, "and that is part of the problem; it was a gentlemen's agreement to only use the alpine logo on winter seasonal tires."

http://www.wheels.ca/Tire%20Talk/article/196342

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

joolsveer wrote: »
    I bought four Kleber Quadraxer tyres today.

Kleber's are very good tyres. Made by Michelin. I have the krisalp hp2's, excellent tyre. Might have to put them on earlier than expected this year! Hopefully!:cool:

• Advertisement

joolsveer wrote: »
    I bought four Kleber Quadraxer tyres today. They have the Canadian symbol with the snowflake and the mountain peaks. I am hoping that I get to try them out this winter.

I saw this however:

http://www.wheels.ca/Tire%20Talk/article/196342

Well thats not good, though I have seen an Alpine logo on my Dads tyres and the thing is sliding off the road as we speak. Is that article talking about two logos or the one snowflake one we all know (knew) and love (loved).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bm69

How long do winter tyres last compare to normal tyres. What kind of mileage would you get out of them if it wasnt constantly snowing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

why would you bother with winter tyres ???? they are sh!te when its above 7 degrees what about all weather tyres ? http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/A001.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

i was thinking all weather tyres might be the job.

Although still have alot of thread left on my current tyres so might just leave it until i need to change them.

might not snow at all this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Woofstuff wrote: »
    (Mods - begging you not to merge this with the main winter tyres thread - its very hard to read through 48pages of information.) :)

Had to be done, this thread is now stickied. All winter tyre threads will be moved to here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Sweet fook it's cold...... Something tells me the wheel brace is coming out in the next week or so !

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Good reminder - thanks!
    I need new tyres and have my nct in a few weeks.
    I'm reading this thread because I was going to get 2 front winter tyres (I can't afford 2 let alone 4, so just getting 2 for now), I dont drive that much (10,000 miles per year - if that) and was going to go into fast fit to get them done tonight.

Any more opinions on where I could try and get 2 winter tyres fitted (I wouldn't do it myself).
    thanks.

Look into getting four second hand (all season/winter) tyres if money is very tight.....plenty of places doing them in Dublin, have a look on donedeal or adverts......http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carextras/2633741

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

pm. wrote: »
    why would you bother with winter tyres ???? they are sh!te when its above 7 degrees what about all weather tyres ? http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/A001.htm

<accent=US yokel hick>
    Stranger, you're not from around here are you ??
    <CLICK CLICK>
    </accent>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

pm. wrote: »

Yup,totally pointless,doesn't get that cold here at all :p

Ireland Average Temperature 2010

178548.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Advertisement