Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

Just a heads up for those shopping around for tyres.

I was talking to my local Indy tyre guy today about fitting tyres i bought online.

He mentioned that he was having difficulty getting any premium brands winters at a decent price and that Starmaxx tyres are being offered around at knockdown prices.

Apparently they are terrible and China has a rival for worst tyre producing country:

From www.starmaxx.com.tr

ABOUT STARMAXX

STARMAXX applying Total Quality Management Model on all its units overcome difficulties with the support of the staff and expand the continual development conception in the factory The factory, situated on a field of 2.000.000 m2 and having 200.000m2 roofed field, produces tyres for all sorts of vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

WestWing wrote: »

Apparently they are terrible and China has a rival for worst tyre producing country:

From www.starmaxx.com.tr

Thanks for this. But, could you define 'terrible'? Does it mean dangerous? Does it mean that they are worse than reputable tyres, but still better than summer tyres? I really need more details before I decide whether to part with EUR240 for Starmaxx. I only need them for one winter, November to Feb/March, so if 'terrible' simply means that they wear quickly, then I don't really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why take the risk?

BostonB wrote: »
    Why take the risk?

What is the risk though? Is it a traction-related risk, or a wear and tear-related risk? If the former, then I'll cancel my order, but if it's the latter I'll proceed.

Tremelo wrote: »
    Thanks for this. But, could you define 'terrible'? Does it mean dangerous? Does it mean that they are worse than reputable tyres, but still better than summer tyres? I really need more details before I decide whether to part with EUR240 for Starmaxx. I only need them for one winter, November to Feb/March, so if 'terrible' simply means that they wear quickly, then I don't really care.

shrug.jpg

• Advertisement

What is the risk though? Is it a traction-related risk, or a wear and tear-related risk? If the former, then I'll cancel my order, but if it's the latter I'll proceed.

The only risk of interest is traction. As sweeping generalisation chinese tyres have abysmal grip. Why would you think these tyres would break the mould (groan) in that regard?

BostonB wrote: »
    The only risk of interest is traction. As sweeping generalisation chinese tyres have abysmal grip. Why would you think these tyres would break the mould (groan) in that regard?

I don't "think" anything about the tyres at this point. So far, we have it on unattributed hearsay that the tyres are "terrible". That's very non-descript. I'd simply like more specific information before I make an informed decision. I tend not to accept unsubstantiated claims as fact.

That you can't find any information on the tires and no ones heard of them should be all the info you need.

I don't "think" anything about the tyres at this point. So far, we have it on unattributed hearsay that the tyres are "terrible". That's very non-descript. I'd simply like more specific information before I make an informed decision. I tend not to accept unsubstantiated claims as fact.

The very fact that a tyre fitter was commenting on a tyre being "terrible", while not trying to up sell me to a better product, should speak volumes. As I wasn't purchasing the tyres i didn't have any reason to find out the particulars. I am simply passing on what i was told so fellow boardies are aware of what may be a poor product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The fact that noone, either here or on the tintertubes in general seems to be saying 'These tyres have good grip' should tell you all you need to know.

Sad fact is, when it comes to tyres, you get what you pay for. Stick to a brand people have heard of and that has been tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

Thinking of getting these tyres in 225/45 17 from eiretyres

Pirelli W 210 Sottozero S2 165.20

Vredestein Wintrac xtreme 172.50

Pirelli W 210 Sottozero 175.20

Anyone rec. which one is best or if there is a cheaper alternative to the above?

Cheers

Website link:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=18738622.124.2671&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=45&Felge=17&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi&kategorie=1&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=preis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

BONDIred wrote: »

I have 4 of these in a different size and I found them excellent last winter. I've never driven with any other winter tyres so I can't make a real comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone rec. which one is best or if there is a cheaper alternative to the above?

Cheers

Website link:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=18738622.124.2671&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=45&Felge=17&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi&kategorie=1&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=preis
    Try get down to 16's if you can, mine were 120 a corner last year at this size

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Cheers

Website link:

Check out the winter tyres review.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Try get down to 16's if you can, mine were 120 a corner last year at this size

Cant go down to 16 wont go over the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

WestWing wrote: »
    The very fact that a tyre fitter was commenting on a tyre being "terrible", while not trying to up sell me to a better product, should speak volumes. As I wasn't purchasing the tyres i didn't have any reason to find out the particulars. I am simply passing on what i was told so fellow boardies are aware of what may be a poor product.

I think we shouldn't trust tyrefitter's opinions too much in general. Today one of them was trying to convince me that ordering michelin tyres for a ford focus is meaningless :D because he stocks Autoguard tyres only.

Regarding to Starmaxx tyres, they are not up to premium brands quality as price suggests but not as terrible as chinese junk. You can place them at level of budget brands like Sava, Debica, etc.

As a winter tyre it will be better than summer tyres for sure but there are better performers with greater price tag. It all depends on your expectation from tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

kerten wrote: »
    I
    Regarding to Starmaxx tyres, they are not up to premium brands quality as price suggests but not as terrible as chinese junk. You can place them at level of budget brands like Sava, Debica, etc.

as mentioned above I am getting these as recommended by my usual tyre guy who sold them last year and got good reviews

so there can be lots of different views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Ok, no facts or reliable review, just going on gut instinct/driving experience.
    They make tyres for Trucks, Tractors, Tanks, yes they do make for cars but I would say long life/strength rather than good grip.
    My experience of tyres working at extremes are Motorbike based, I can tell you that I would only trust 2 or 3 makes before I would hit the brakes hard or corner hard in the wet or frost.
    Hate to say this after slating another poster over second hand tyres but if you only need them for this winter, why not if you can get a top brand.
    Ring around and look for the usual suspects, Conti's, Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, should be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hey for anyone else with separate alloys storing their own winter/summer tyres as appropriate you might be interested in this, particularly if you plan to store the wheels at a lower pressure than normal as is often advised.

Picked up a Michelin 12V tyre pump with cigarette socket adapter and detachable digital pressure monitor (range 0 -50 PSI accurate to 1 PSI) for €50 today (30%) off at Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Bloody 17" inch wheels won't fit over my brakes!!!

• Advertisement

Just ordered a set of Goodyear ultragrip Performance 2 - Bring on the winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Just ordered a set of Goodyear ultragrip Performance 2 - Bring on the winter!

Good luck with them, look like a nice set of shoes.
    Can't wait to hear all the stories like pulled a bus up Knockmaroon hill the other night in 2 foot of snow, "Get in Santa, where to"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Shane732 wrote: »
    I hope you didn't find that out after buying a set?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

4, 6 and 4c again this morning. have you lot got your winters on now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Shane732 wrote: »

Noooooo !?
    tinner777 wrote: »

Yep, mine are on for about a month now, really noticing the difference these mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Part worn shoes, shall be going on this weekend, im hoping they fit no problem.
    just need to borrow a jack.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

nope!!!

Haven't even bought them yet. How long does it take eiretyres (delti) to deliver?

No1J wrote: »
    Good luck with them, look like a nice set of shoes.
    Can't wait to hear all the stories like pulled a bus up Knockmaroon hill the other night in 2 foot of snow, "Get in Santa, where to"?

haha very good,

Hopefully they work now!

Anyone know if it is allright to take my run flats off and use the alloys for the winters or will this damage the runflats??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not yet, but gotta put them on soon, my wife is getting pissed off looking at them in the corner of the kitchen - there could be a domestic safety issue if they're not gone soon! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Cheers

I got the Vredsteins last winter, but they arrived just after all the snow melted so never got to try them out in extreme weather :mad:

Contrary to my expectations they were actually quieter than my summer tyres (Potenza RE050As) and more comfortable too. There was a little more roll when cornering, but overall they handled pretty well. I only did ~1k km on them but when I took them off they still looked brand new, no visible signs of wear whatsoever.

Advertisement