Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi Folks,

I am currently in two minds as to what to do with car tyres for winter. Car is honda civic saloon and used primarily by the wife and the kids. Tyres are almost gone so I have to get them changed for the winter.

tyre size is 205 55 R 16

Next question is what do I put on it?

Winter Tyres - Quoted anything from 130 for nokian, 120 for continental bridgestone 110 ( may have them wrong way round ) down to 100 for starmax to 70 for something else. Really would only consider the first 3 to be honest.
    My impression is should be used when temp drops below 7 degrees.

Only issue I will have to fork out another 400 in march for summer tyres.

All season - My impression is they are the jack of all trade tyre, ok in all weather conditions but master of none. quoted 125 a corner for bridgestone

Summer - usual choice.

Prices are for all fitted.

Any advice greatly appreciated what tyres would you choose? Also what people think of the quotes?

Thanks
    Kev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

clansman wrote: »
    nope!!!

Haven't even bought them yet. How long does it take eiretyres (delti) to deliver?

Took mine about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Was looking today at some part worn ones, but at 40-50 euro for one, didn't made sense to me, especially that the thread was different on each of them, so in the end I bought 4 new Matadors at ~75 each. they're owned by Continental, so judging by that should be decent enough and hopefully will be good enough for 4-5 winters (as I only do max. 10-15k km/year). Have them in the shed ATM, so bring on the snow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hi fella's what's the difference between these boots:
    Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3D
    195/65 R15 91H BSW
    Recommended retail price*: € 103,00
    only € 96,70
    195/65 R15 91T M0
    only € 85,70
    195/65 R15 91T
    only € 85,70
    Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 4D
    195/65 R15 91H BSW
    only € 90,00

What's BSW? Is it worth going for the 4d? Although looking at what I posted :-) the 3d BSW is the most expensive - confused

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

What's BSW?

Black side wall, means nothing as all tyres are black!

Unless you are getting one for a vintage car and wanted a white side wall. Here is a useful webside link for the letters on tyres that do mean stuff.

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/reading-tyre-markings-advice.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

kevgaa wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I am currently in two minds as to what to do with car tyres for winter. Car is honda civic saloon and used primarily by the wife and the kids. Tyres are almost gone so I have to get them changed for the winter.

tyre size is 205 55 R 16

Next question is what do I put on it?

Winter Tyres - Quoted anything from 130 for nokian, 120 for continental bridgestone 110 ( may have them wrong way round ) down to 100 for starmax to 70 for something else. Really would only consider the first 3 to be honest.
    My impression is should be used when temp drops below 7 degrees.

Only issue I will have to fork out another 400 in march for summer tyres.

All season - My impression is they are the jack of all trade tyre, ok in all weather conditions but master of none. quoted 125 a corner for bridgestone

Summer - usual choice.

Prices are for all fitted.

Any advice greatly appreciated what tyres would you choose? Also what people think of the quotes?

Thanks
    Kev.

Kev,
    At the end of the day your tyres are one of the most important safety features on your car. Some people might say its the most important!!!

When it comes to family what's €500? You cant put a price on it. And so what if you change tyres again in the summer. They will last for years!
    Think about it, if/when we have a week of -5deg your family will be as safe as they can be! What more does any man want...

I will be buying 8 tyres for me any my girlfriend.

So bring on the Snow!!!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Hi All,
    I need to get two new front tyres and am considering after last winter going down the winter or all season route. Few questions though from reading this thread

There have been some recomendations and get all four shoes changed. I know two may not be as effective but it's better than what I had on last winter all the same. Would there be any other reasons?

Instead of paying out €150 for a set of rims I am thinking of just get them swapped over in spring at my local mechanics. False economy perhaps but just don't feel I can justify two sets one being basic steel jobbies

bifl wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I need to get two new front tyres and am considering after last winter going down the winter or all season route. Few questions though from reading this thread

There have been some recomendations and get all for shoes changed. I know two may not be as effective but it's better than what I had on last winter all the same. Would there be any other reasons?

Instead of paying out €150 for a set of rims I am thinking of just get them swapped over in spring at my local mechanics. False economy perhaps but just don't feel I can justify two sets one being basic steel jobbies[/QUOT

We only want these tyres for the really bad days when last year we had to leave the car behind, not this year, can't afford to not be able to get where I have to be.
    They will be better than summers and all seasons in the cold and wet also.
    Two winters up front will make your tail flip around under steering and braking.
    If you have the time go back and read the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hi All,

There have been some recomendations and get all four shoes changed. I know two may not be as effective but it's better than what I had on last winter all the same.Would there be any other reasons?

Instead of paying out €150 for a set of rims I am thinking of just get them swapped over in spring at my local mechanics. False economy perhaps but just don't feel I can justify two sets one being basic steel jobbies

Read the feckin thread and look for the videos of cars with only 2 winter tyres on. You're safer on 4 summers than only 2 winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

kenmc wrote: »
    Read the feckin thread and look for the videos of cars with only 2 winter tyres on. You're safer on 4 summers than only 2 winters.

Read the thread and YouTube,yeah thanks for the A1 reply there mate :rolleyes: It is 51 pages long you know with the best will in the world people can miss some stuff. Perhaps it's a bit early in the morning for you to be replying to threads if you can't be civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Read the thread and YouTube,yeah thanks for the A1 reply there mate :rolleyes: It is 51 pages long you know with the best will in the world people can miss some stuff. Perhaps it's a bit early in the morning for you to be replying to threads if you can't be civil.

Mods how about a mod warning with note in thread title to read it first to summarise the viewpoint on all seasons and two winter tyres only as these questions are cropping up ad nauseum and detract from the thread ?

Have a look on youtube "winter tyres" or there is a video on page 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Very welcome. Lazy questions get lazy answers. One simple search, let me google that for you, save you the hassle and voila, first result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Picking up some steels tomorrow to house a set of new Michelin Alpin A4s for the Esty.
    It's a 4WD and very keen to compare how it handles any adverse weather against my old Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

Ok....my mind is absolutely mush from all this tyre researching!!! I think I have narrowed my choice down to 2 but need some expert advice before I make my final decision!!! I drive a toyota carolla and I got a price of EUR75 each for a set of 4 Bridgestone Lassa winter tyres or EUR100 each for a set of 4 Vredestein!!!! Having looked into both they both seem to fair out ok, one a budget price (Turkish tyres) and one a bit more expensive (which I don't mind paying as long as I get good performance). I need to know which are the best to buy as the vredestein seem to be more of an all weather tyre and I specifically want them for driving on the snow and ice. I will be swapping them over to my regular tyres in March again!!!! I want to be able to drive with confidence with the kids in the car this year!!! Thanks for you help! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I have seen positive user comments about Lassa Snoways Era winter tyres in Turkish motoring forums. And they have worse winters with many hills in cities comparing to Ireland. They are being produced in Bridgestone factory in Turkey. It may not be up to performance of premium brands but I think they are good mid level tyres.

Any decent winter tyre will perform better than all season tyres in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

So took my three steel rims, spare wheel and four winter tyre's down to macroom tyre centre. Put them all on and onto the car for forty euros

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I have vredestein wintrac extremes!!!!!! i found them excellent in both snow/ice condtions!!!!! and also on wet/dry roads!!!!!! i kept mine on the car up unitl June and the were still preforming grand!!!!!!!! hope that helps you out a little.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

The vredestein tyres that I had offered to me were the quatracs???? The seem to be more all weather as opposed to winter winter tyres iykwim!!!! So would they not be any good to me for the snow and ice!!! I don't know whether these tyres places try and push you for a sale or not but he said the quatracs were the best of the best and that they were hard to get. But I want to get the right ones specifically for the snow and ice!!!!!! What to do............!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Evo has a small test of winter tyres this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The vredestein tyres that I had offered to me were the quatracs???

Can you PM me the details of the place you were offered those as I have been looking for a seller.

Heres a link to the evo test mentioned by BostonB
    http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/274042/evo_2011_winter_tyre_test_the_intro.html

The Quatrac always gets good ratings, but if you really are looking for a dedicated winter tyre and you are changing over for the summer then the others might be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

muckish wrote: »
    Winter tyres are made from a rubber compound which keeps its flexibility in lower temperatures. Summer tyre harden below 7degrees and hence lessen their grip. Also the thread patterns on winter tyres are completely different to summer tyres. You will notice on a winter tyre the fine zigzag threads (perpendicular to the main thread of the tyre). These thread expand and tightens on the snow as the tyre rotates and makes contact with the road (like a clenching fist), but also expand after contact with the road to eject the snow. So the threads don't build up with snow and become ineffective. That's a very basic description of how winter tyres work.

As for taking them off, probably around March/April, whenever the temperature climbs above 7 degrees. Don't drive them all year round as it will be a waste of your investment. Just rotate them with a set of summer tyres and you should get a couple of seasons out of them.

Thank You. Such posts are why I look to get my info on Boards or similar websites.

I have already plumped for Goodyear Ultra 8 tyres for the winter. They cost E320 for 5 from eiretyres.com including delivery from Germany (I found that website from reading the 2010 Boards.ie Winter Tyres thread; very entertaining to read back over it now).

The good thing about that site is that they show results of independent tests (which is why I chose those tyres). Only took about 1 week for delivery by DPD couriers. Havent fitted them yet. They have very good ratings for rain also.

I had previously asked my local tyre fitters for their selection of winter tyres but they only had a couple of no-name varieties I chad never heard of. They will fit these 5 for about 60 quid though.

pm. wrote: »
    Hi all was at the garage today and noticed that they had Bridgestone All Weather tyres

when I asked about them I was told that they are much better suited to this country because winter tyres are not so good if the temperature hits above 7 degrees

what do ye think ? I have the link at the bottom

http://www.bridgestone.ie/tyres/car-4x4-and-van/car/all-weather/a001-all-weather#

Read the thread Winter Tyres from last year and you will be convinced by the people that switched that Winter tyres are much better than all weather (read:bog standard) tyres if we get the same weather we got last year.

The only problem you will have will be being held up by people who are driving at 10mph in their bog-standard tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

human 19 wrote: »
    Thank You. Such posts are why I look to get my info on Boards or similar websites.

I have already plumped for Goodyear Ultra 8 tyres for the winter. They cost E320 for 5 from eiretyres.com including delivery from Germany

Good price for 5! What size are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

human 19 wrote: »
    Read the thread Winter Tyres from last year and you will be convinced by the people that switched that Winter tyres are much better than all weather (read:bog standard) tyres if we get the same weather we got last year.

The only problem you will have will be being held up by people who are driving at 10mph in their bog-standard tyres

Will be getting winters, but will still be driving to the conditions, wont be adjusting my driving due to the rubber that I have. Now that wont be at 10mph, but will still be taking it easy if we have the same weather.

Good price for 5! What size are they ?

E320 for 5 x Goodyear ULTRA GRIP 8 165/70 R13 79T BSW (Wi)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Thinking of getting winters but looking at around €700 for a set if I have to pay out..(bmw 520d- 225/50/17).
    Presuming I can change size though?
    I know over the 3 year period it will work out the same but wondering since Limerick got away very lightly the last 2 years as regards heavy snow I'm wondering if it's worth my while really...
    Lots of ice though as expected with the cold weather..
    Just looking at my car and it seems I'm stuck with 225/50/R17s unless I go down to 16"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ok.. as I've mentioned previously in this thread, I'm in the market for some new/winter tyres

My 2006 B6 Passat is currently running 215/55/R16s on the standard alloys and these seem to be incredibly hard to get without ordering in (surprisingly as there's so many of these cars on the road!) and very expensive if ya do.

I'd love to be able to afford €600 for a set of tyres but the sad reality is that I haven't got that kind of cash at the min, yet I'll need to be able to get to work too when the ice/snow sets in (I'm doing 95% motorway mileage)

So..

- Any recommendations in the €400-450 or less price range, fitted, in that size?

- Someone suggested it might be possible to fit a set of 205/55/R16s to the car which seem to be a lot more common (and hence cheaper!). Is this possible on this car/alloys?

- It's currently on 2 cheapo chinese tyres that I got stuck with on the day so they have to go anyway. Would I be as well getting a A-grade set of branded part-worns instead? Last year it was on Vredestein Sportrac 3s that I got (apparently amazingly) for €85 a corner fitted and they worked pretty well, but I can't get these anywhere either for anywhere near the same price.

Any advice/links etc appreciated - cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Who told you you need to stick with that tyre size, I'm nearly 100% sure you could go to 205/55/16 on those wheels, I'd go part worn winters and save for a good set of new summers on a set of different rims.

Also really noticing the extra bit of grip on my winters at the moment, there is so much crap from trees on the roads around here at the minute sometimes its hard to see it!.

Advertisement