Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jennybean

Just want some advice.. Iv enough money for one set of tyres. Cant decide whether to get winter tyres are new normal ones??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

jennybean wrote: »
    Just want some advice.. Iv enough money for one set of tyres. Cant decide whether to get winter tyres are new normal ones??

Buy a boat

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jennybean

Helpful!

Helpful!

Look outside - it is helpful!!

If I were you and I had to make a choice between new summers or new winters for all year use I would buy the winters. Few people posted that the did that last year and got on grand. Plus the one certainty is the summers WILL suck in winter if we get a repeat of last year.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to start buidling an Ark

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ixiathor

hi,

I'm a bit stuck on the cash front and my family car needs new tyres .. 225/45 R17's.
    A decent set of winter tyres seems to be c. 190-250 on eiretyres.ie .. based on the recommendations from tyrereviews.co.uk.

I'm relucant to spend €600-800 on a set of winter tyres now and have to spend the same again in Spring.

Are the all-seasons tyres adequate to cope with the snow/ice ?

Thanks

Ix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ixiathor wrote: »
    hi,

I'm a bit stuck on the cash front and my family car needs new tyres .. 225/45 R17's.
    A decent set of winter tyres seems to be c. 190-250 on eiretyres.ie .. based on the recommendations from tyrereviews.co.uk.

I'm relucant to spend €600-800 on a set of winter tyres now and have to spend the same again in Spring.

Are the all-seasons tyres adequate to cope with the snow/ice ?

Thanks

Ix
    Front or RWD?

Those measurement are same as my 3 series = RWD = all seasons not good enough.

You ll prob get away with a set of all seasons on FWD - but it depends how much you value safety.

Plus i ll say it for the hunderth time - can you not go down to 16' inch rim - tyres more like 120e per corner. Pick up 16' steelies somewhere for next to nothing (or even nothing at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Who told you you need to stick with that tyre size, I'm nearly 100% sure you could go to 205/55/16 on those wheels, I'd go part worn winters and save for a good set of new summers on a set of different rims.

Sounds good.. anyway of checking if they WILL definitely fit on the standard alloys though?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ixiathor

hi kennyb3,

It's a 2008 Touran 1.4 TSI .. so FWD.

I know nothing about wheel sizes .. is 16" steel all the same size ? I looked at wheels + tyres on eiretyres.ie but couldn't make head nor tail of the sizes.

I pulled the cap off the alloy and the wheel says 1T 0 601 025F ? Is this relevant ?

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ixiathor wrote: »
    hi kennyb3,

It's a 2008 Touran 1.4 TSI .. so FWD.

I know nothing about wheel sizes .. is 16" steel all the same size ? I looked at wheels + tyres on eiretyres.ie but couldn't make head nor tail of the sizes.

I pulled the cap off the alloy and the wheel says 1T 0 601 025F ? Is this relevant ?

Ix
    What you need to look for is something like 215/55/R16 97V that'll be written on the side of the tyres themselves.

If the Touran is anything like mine you'll need 5 nut wheels or universal fit ones

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with eiretyres, I order a set of winter last Thursday but still have heard nothing about delivery etc.

It says 3-5 days delivery time on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

BONDIred wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with eiretyres, I order a set of winter last Thursday but still have heard nothing about delivery etc.

It says 3-5 days delivery time on the website.

Did they send you an email to conform the order? They got the Courier to call me the Day before delivery, took 6 days I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My order with eiretyres took about 2 weeks in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarick

hi, just looking for a bit of advice on all weather vs winters. I have a focus 195/60/15, live in co. wicklow and do approx 25,000 miles a year 90% of that is on the n11 or m50. I can get goodyear ultra grip 8's winters for 85euro per tyre from a local garage, nokian all weather plus for 84euro from eire tyres and continental all weathers ( not sure which ones ) from a mate who has a few contacts in the trade for 85euro.

Don't really want to be changing tyres again come spring, do you think the goodyears will last long or will they be wrecked come the end of summer?

Anyone know if continental all weathers are any use? only info i can find is on the extreme contact dws but i think they are only available in the usa.

Any other suggestions? Price is a factor though. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

If you had problems last winter and want to improve your grip and safety then it's Winters, but IF we get a summer next year you will have to behave yourself a bit more.
    On summers, well you know how you got on last winter.
    Me, I want the winter grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Sounds good.. anyway of checking if they WILL definitely fit on the standard alloys though?

I just googled it and it seems (according to google) that you should be fine, I would say you'll be grand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

sarick wrote: »
    hi, just looking for a bit of advice on all weather vs winters. I have a focus 195/60/15, live in co. wicklow and do approx 25,000 miles a year 90% of that is on the n11 or m50. I can get goodyear ultra grip 8's winters for 85euro per tyre from a local garage, nokian all weather plus for 84euro from eire tyres and continental all weathers ( not sure which ones ) from a mate who has a few contacts in the trade for 85euro.

Don't really want to be changing tyres again come spring, do you think the goodyears will last long or will they be wrecked come the end of summer?

Anyone know if continental all weathers are any use? only info i can find is on the extreme contact dws but i think they are only available in the usa.

Any other suggestions? Price is a factor though. Cheers.

If price is a factor get part worns and a second set of rims or steel wheels, and change every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Hi i am considering getting these Snow tyres as i do a fair bit of driving its for a 1999 toyota Avensis and if that is what they are called for the bad snow weather we may get ,

i just want to know the following :

these snow tyres called all weather tyres?

do i need to get 4 or will 2 do it

and what is a genuine make i dont want crap please thanks

would i be better getting wheel rims as i heard tyres dont be the same when they are taken off their wheel rims ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

faolteam wrote: »
    Hi i am considering getting these Snow tyres as i do a fair bit of driving its for a 1999 toyota Avensis and if that is what they are called for the bad snow weather we may get ,

i just want to know the following :

these snow tyres called all weather tyres?

do i need to get 4 or will 2 do it

and what is a genuine make i dont want crap please thanks

would i be better getting wheel rims as i heard tyres dont be the same when they are taken off their wheel rims ?

You need 4.
    All weather tyres is something different.
    Just ask for winter tyres.

And there is nothing wrong with taking tyres off the rims. They will be the same if done properly.

and is there a genuine person i can get them off please

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

No1J wrote: »
    Did they send you an email to conform the order? They got the Courier to call me the Day before delivery, took 6 days I think.

They said there is a big backlog and things are delayed at the moment.

• Advertisement

I bought off Eiretyres last year - im happy with the tyres, I was not happy with the customer service. No confirmation e mail for over a week. I didnt know if my order went it. I rang and rang - mailed and mailed but got nowhere. I wouldnt be a fan of theirs but its a means to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

just wondering when folks are going to put their winters on - I was going to throw mine on this weekend, but the temps haven't dropped that much, so was thinking of waiting another week - what do y'all reckon (btw, I do about 1k kms a week, so mileage-wise it's fairly significant)

cjmcork wrote: »
    just wondering when folks are going to put their winters on - I was going to throw mine on this weekend, but the temps haven't dropped that much, so was thinking of waiting another week - what do y'all reckon (btw, I do about 1k kms a week, so mileage-wise it's fairly significant)

Yeah I'm much the same. I might wait for first frosty morning, but then again may just stick them on come November 1st regardless of weather.

Keeping an eye on the weather myself but prob sat week

just caught the weather forecast and it looks like it'll be fairly mild this w/e.....but have also posted a query on the Weather section, to see when they expect the 7 degrees to kick...........they're to weather what the folks here are to cars! :D all-knowing powerful beings

cjmcork wrote: »
    just caught the weather forecast and it looks like it'll be fairly mild this w/e.....but have also posted a query on the Weather section, to see when they expect the 7 degrees to kick...........they're to weather what the folks here are to cars! :D all-knowing powerful beings

Lol weirdly I find myself frequenting both the Motor and Weather fora more and more despite knowing little about either. Must be getting old :P

mike65 in Weather says: 'being Ireland its quite impossible to say. Its quite possible to go for weeks without a daytime temp lower than about 7 or 8 degrees on the other hand we could have a cold winter starting in a few weeks absolutely no signs of it yet'

so I'm giving it another week!

Lol weirdly I find myself frequenting both the Motor and Weather fora more and more despite knowing little about either. Must be getting old :P

likewise, I think I spent as much time in Weather as Motors in November to Feb - hope it doesn't become a trend :eek:

Great can you recommend a Tyre

and is there a genuine person i can get them off please

i hear u guys saying that you were going to throw them on do u guys have ur tyres on ur own wheel rims,

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hard to know. I work in the evenings sometimes, roads last night and monday were 6C as per the in car display, the mornings they were around 10C.

Still need to get the tyres though. Silly question, will be putting mine on the spare rims, and will change the wheels over my self when the weather gets a bit cooler. Could there be an issue with transporting four wheels in the back of the car from the fitters back home.

Advertisement