Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

faolteam wrote: »
    Great can you recommend a Tyre

and is there a genuine person i can get them off please

i hear u guys saying that you were going to throw them on do u guys have ur tyres on ur own wheel rims,

thanks

got mine from eiretyres about 100 euro cheaper than local merchant but 30 euro to fit on threee spare rims and spare wheel. was happy with both services.

will fit on car when mtcranium forecasts five days below 9c.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I have 3 questions Regarding my potential winter tyre purchase. Really want to be safe on the roads this winter. Only do a few thousand mile a year but can only get to my work by car, so I rely on it.

1. Do I HAVE to get another set of wheels or can I just get the fitters to fit them to my current alloys and swap them back again in spring.

2. Is it ok to store the tyres I'm not using under a tarp in my garden?

3.is there anywhere in north Dublin anyone can reccomend to purchase winter tyres. Dont have credit card to purchase online only laser, which no fecker outside Ireland accepts. Plus I can't be home during the day to accept deliveries.

Sorry if I'm duplicating. I have read most of the thread but had these 3 specific questions.

Thanks for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hard to know. I work in the evenings sometimes, roads last night and monday were 6C as per the in car display, the mornings they were around 10C.

Still need to get the tyres though. Silly question, will be putting mine on the spare rims, and will change the wheels over my self when the weather gets a bit cooler. Could there be an issue with transporting four wheels in the back of the car from the fitters back home.

Suggestion, get a pack of wheelie bin liners to put the Wheels into, bin bags are not big enough.
    Someone mentioned that the large Ikea bags also come in handy otherwise get an old blanket or something to throw over the back seat and a pair of gloves would come in handy.

I have 3 questions Regarding my potential winter tyre purchase. Really want to be safe on the roads this winter. Only do a few thousand mile a year but can only get to my work by car, so I rely on it.

1. Do I HAVE to get another set of wheels or can I just get the fitters to fit them to my current alloys and swap them back again in spring.

2. Is it ok to store the tyres I'm not using under a tarp in my garden?

3.is there anywhere in north Dublin anyone can reccomend to purchase winter tyres. Dont have credit card to purchase online only laser, which no fecker outside Ireland accepts. Plus I can't be home during the day to accept deliveries.

Sorry if I'm duplicating. I have read most of the thread but had these 3 specific questions.

Thanks for any advice

1. Would you be happy to change the 4 wheels yourself or have someone that could do it for you? If so I would get the wheels, if not just get the tyres and get the fitters to do it twice a year @€;40 a go.

2. Yes but they are valuable so be careful someone doesn't borrow them, they are easy to remove and easy to move on.

3. I'm sure someone else can recommend a supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

4 Dunlop WinterSport 4D fitted to the wife's car yesterday......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

4 Dunlop WinterSport 4D fitted to the wife's car yesterday......

price and size?
    Was looking at a set of these but looking at nearly €800...and seeing as Limerick has gotten off pretty lightly the last 2 winters I'm not so inclined..
    then again if I did crash or similiar I'd be bloody well kicking myself.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    price and size?
    Was looking at a set of these but looking at nearly €800...and seeing as Limerick has gotten off pretty lightly the last 2 winters I'm not so inclined..
    then again if I did crash or similiar I'd be bloody well kicking myself.

195/65/R15 x 4 €280 delivered to my door. My own car is R17 but prices for them are scary...... Will be pootling around in the missus's car if things get cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Can anybody recommend somewhere in Cork that fits winter tyres??

I have an MR2 and finding it difficult to get a response from places, not sure whether it's my car or that they are just busy.

Will winter tyres make a difference driving in the wet?? RWD can be tricky! Also would I get away with just having winters on the back or would I need to get all four?

V480 wrote: »

I have an MR2 and finding it difficult to get a response from places, not sure whether it's my car or that they are just busy.

Will winter tyres make a difference driving in the wet?? RWD can be tricky! Also would I get away with just having winters on the back or would I need to get all four?

O'Sheas (coal and tyres!) in Cobh will fit for €10 a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

No1J wrote: »
    1. Would you be happy to change the 4 wheels yourself or have someone that could do it for you? If so I would get the wheels, if not just get the tyres and get the fitters to do it twice a year @€;40 a go.

2. Yes but they are valuable so be careful someone doesn't borrow them, they are easy to remove and easy to move on.

3. I'm sure someone else can recommend a supplier.

Thanks No1.

I'd be happier spending 40e once every 6 months than laying out for a new set of wheels, plus if the tyres have no "middle" i could loop a chain throught the middle of them and chain them up in the garden to prevent unauthorised borrowing ;-)

I may do some internet trawling for a dublin supplier today. Thanks again.

Just noticed that Eiretyres you can pay by bank transfer and they will deliver to a fitting station of your choice...handy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

When replacing alloys with steel wheels, is there any need to change the wheel bolts/nuts (can't remember which mine has)? Or will the original alloys ones (inc anti theft) do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

€300 for a set of standard Uniroyal all weather tyres fitted, is that a bad price?
    €400 with service included.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dublingirl83

195/65/R15 x 4 €280 delivered to my door. My own car is R17 but prices for them are scary...... Will be pootling around in the missus's car if things get cold!

i got some of the same size for about 280 too from the uk. went up to a breakers for some rims then got them fitted in garage for approx 10 per tyre.
    one quick question, would it cause much damage to the tyres if i put them on when the weather is still too mild?
    thanks

kenmc wrote: »
    When replacing alloys with steel wheels, is there any need to change the wheel bolts/nuts (can't remember which mine has)? Or will the original alloys ones (inc anti theft) do?

The one's you have are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

And if they used them last year and how effective they were

one quick question, would it cause much damage to the tyres if i put them on when the weather is still too mild?
    thanks
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

faolteam wrote: »
    And if they used them last year and how effective they were

Have Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 prepared for winter. Only this morning noticed a snowflake symbol on a dashboard for the first time. Might be changing tyres next week or so. Havn't tested them before.

And if anyone interested there's wintersocks offer on groupon €37/€44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

V480 wrote: »

the place on the link road in ballincollig (in front of MD O'sheas) do it for a tenner a wheel (I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

Great thread so far.

Picked up my winter tyres this morning.

Kumho K27 255/35/18 (Rear)
    Kumho K27 225/40/18 (Front)

€744 fitted and balanced.

Hopefully i'll be a bit more mobile this winter than last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Steelies are cheaper to buy or source, alloys are expensive in comparison. Considering the weather conditions that they will be in, kerbing will probably happen due to poor visibility in rain, snow, etc. when parking.

Steelies also come in more common sizes than, for example, lower profile tyres, which would make tyres cheaper to purchase for them.

I think if the weather warrants specific winter tyres, you shouldn't be driving like you would in the dry anyways.

So benefits? Like you said, aesthetics, in my opinion are the only ones, but I could be very wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

An Ard Ri wrote: »
    Great thread so far.

Picked up my winter tyres this morning.

Kumho K27 255/35/18 (Rear)
    Kumho K27 225/40/18 (Front)

€744 fitted and balanced.

Jesus man that's some investment.

You obviously have a BMW with those sizes, but would you not have considered part worn winters or dropping to a 16" wheel for your winter tyres?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Plenty of people don't like part worn and can't fit small wheels over their brakes.

copacetic wrote: »
    Plenty of people don't like part worn and can't fit small wheels over their brakes.

Fair enough.. I personally consider spending nearly 750 quid for the possibility of 1 or 2 weeks of bad (I.E freezing) weather a bit excessive though.

I know winters perform marginally better than summers under 7 degrees, but in my 8 years of driving I have never had issues in the winter with my summer tyres, and I do 500 miles a week.

Each to their own though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

A set of 195/60 15 Dunlop Wintersport 3D went onto our 2003 Focus van on Saturday. Obviously no very cold weather since but they have dealt very well with the very wet conditions we have seen over the weekend. They are also surprisingly quiet. On the negative side directional stability has definitely suffered compared to the Goodyear Eagle NCT5s previously fitted. Very noticeably so at motorway speeds. For the moment I will give them the benefit of the doubt and put this down to the fact that it isn't really cold enough for them to operate properly yet. The main reason I fitted them this early was because the other tyres were worn out and I due to laziness I didn't fancy putting on another set of Summer tyres and then switching over to the Winter tyres when it inevitably gets cold in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

PaulKK wrote: »
    Jesus man that's some investment.

You obviously have a BMW with those sizes, but would you not have considered part worn winters or dropping to a 16" wheel for your winter tyres?

Yea, its a BMW, which was worse than useless last year in the bad weather. It was so bad it was embarassing. Had to be pushed 3 times in 5 minutes one day heading home from work last year. Wouldn't go for part worns as tyres (and oil) are the most important thing on the car. Also, i found it quite difficult to get new tyres in that size, so i'd imagine part worns would be harder to come by. Wanted to get Dunlop Winter Sports, but at nearly €1,100, and the reassurance from the tyre place, i went for Kumho. Also the brakes are quite big on the car, so not sure if smaller wheels would work (i didn't check). Wide tyres are not ideal for bad conditions but it has to be a improvement on the Bridgestone summer tyres i now have stored in the shed. Knowing my luck it'll be the mildest winter in living memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

directional stability

Wha ????

Planning to fit mine tomorrow - also Dunlop wintersport 3D's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Basically at motorway speed the car needs more small steering inputs than before to keep it in a straight line.

Will play around with pressures etc over the next week or so to see if I can find a sweet spot with them but the car definitely isn't as good to drive with the Winter tyres on it.

It was the same last year when I had a set of 195/65 15 Minerva Winter tyres on it but at the time I was putting it down to the fact that they were cheap tyres in the wrong size. However it seems it may be a characteristic of the type of tyre.

• Advertisement

An Ard Ri wrote: »
    Yea, its a BMW, which was worse than useless last year in the bad weather. It was so bad it was embarassing. Had to be pushed 3 times in 5 minutes one day heading home from work last year. Wouldn't go for part worns as tyres (and oil) are the most important thing on the car. Also, i found it quite difficult to get new tyres in that size, so i'd imagine part worns would be harder to come by. Wanted to get Dunlop Winter Sports, but at nearly €1,100, and the reassurance from the tyre place, i went for Kumho. Also the brakes are quite big on the car, so not sure if smaller wheels would work (i didn't check). Wide tyres are not ideal for bad conditions but it has to be a improvement on the Bridgestone summer tyres i now have stored in the shed. Knowing my luck it'll be the mildest winter in living memory!

That's wierd, I have the exact same size tyres on my 3 series, and I didn't have any problems last winter in mine on summer tyres, is the area you live very hilly?

What BMW do you have if you don't mind me asking, mine came with 16" alloys which I upgraded to the 18s.

I also agree that tyres and oil are very improtant, but I don't think I'd have a problem with part worns as long as I got to inspect them fully before they were fitted.

Advertisement