Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

So I'm on 225/45 R17's and want to get a set of winters.

Now I know the first thing people will say is get 16" rims, BUT I have a spare 17" alloy so I'm trying to decide between getting one more matching allow (500EUR ish) and 2 steel rims versus getting four 16 inch steel rims and obviously then either 4 17" winter tyres versus four 16 inch winter tyres

What would you do boardsies ?
    Will I even get 17" steel rims ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Confab wrote: »
    I'm wondering about winter tyres for our conditions Most of the snow in my area was actually graupel, which basically welds together after a day or so and becomes solid ice. Horrible to walk on and not pleasant to drive on either. Am I wrong about this or do winter tyres provide no real advantage on what will be essentially ice? I'm fine with buying winter tyres as long as they provide a real advantage over the tyres I have on now.....

I think I read somewhere about the big tread soft block, find more grip. But I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Now I know the first thing people will say is get 16" rims, BUT I have a spare 17" alloy so I'm trying to decide between getting one more matching allow (500EUR ish) and 2 steel rims versus getting four 16 inch steel rims and obviously then either 4 17" winter tyres versus four 16 inch winter tyres

if you looking for cheapest option, get 15 inch metal wheels with higher profile tyres. Id imagine your winter tyres would be 195/75 R15 , or 185/75 R15 . Wide tyres are no good in winter time,also a look of wheels in winter not important. Most important things are good grip and smart driving skills .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Id buy a set of 16 or 17" used Alloys cheap and use them. I wouldnt buy steel wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

16", you need more compliance on winter roads.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Id buy a set of 16 or 17" used Alloys cheap and use them. I wouldnt buy steel wheels.
    +1, I got a set of almost unmarked OEM 16" alloys for my car last year for €150. Just takes a bit of patience, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Same here got a set of 16's two years ago OEM 150 euro. I'm considering sticking the winters on this weekend, as my 18s are down to the marking now and don't want to get new tires till next year after my wheels are refurbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Confab wrote: »
    mowag.jpg

They don't look like winter tyres on it...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

I'm in a similar situation but I have to stick with R17's to clear my brake calipers. (I also have a second set of 17" wheels in the shed luckily)

Would it be ok to change dimensions to say 205/50/R17 though, instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

folks - just wanted to see what people thought of these?? or would ye go for something else............want to be able to drive in the snow

d'uh - forgot the link! (in my defence, I am actually blonde!)

• Advertisement

cjmcork wrote: »
    folks - just wanted to see what people thought of these?? or would ye go for something else............want to be able to drive in the snow
    If you want to drive in the conditions we had last winter then you need winter tyres - there's no other alternative.

Anan1 wrote: »
    16", you need more compliance on winter roads.

Ok next question. I have tyre pressure sensors on my car. Does this present any difficulties when changing wheel size etc (I don't know where the sensor actually is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Ok next question. I have tyre pressure sensors on my car. Does this present any difficulties when changing wheel size etc (I don't know where the sensor actually is!)

What car have you got ?
    on my wifes vw polo brand new car there is no sensors, seems to be they using abs sensors for that purpose. Actually work, we got little puncture , and flat tyre illuminated on dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

To anyone considering only getting one pair of winters, its dangerous. A pair on your driving wheels might pull you out of trouble but dont try to corner without a full set.

Of course option 3 is to just buy new tyres for my own alloys and do a straight swap....hmmm must check the wear on mine currently

Is there any harm to the tyres in buying tyres and leaving them sitting in the shed until winter ?

What about taking the tyres off mine in winter and leaving them rimless for a few months - is that bad for them ?

what decent brands would folks recommend - I don't mind spending a chunk of money on these as they'll hopefully save me from walloping the car off a wall

what decent brands would folks recommend - I don't mind spending a chunk of money on these as they'll hopefully save me from walloping the car off a wall
    Do a bit of googling for group tests, that'll give you a better idea of what's what. I'd have no problem recommending my Michelin Alpin A4s - compared to summer tyres, they were an absolute revelation in the bad weather.

Do a bit of googling for group tests, that'll give you a better idea of what's what. I'd have no problem recommending my Michelin Alpin A4s - compared to summer tyres, they were an absolute revelation in the bad weather.

thanks so much - I'd actually tried to get these from Camskill, but they're sold out! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have a set of ContiWinterContacts and found them amazing. They were well worth every penny last xmas trying to drive home on roads caked in snow and ice.

I got mine from Pneus Online - just checked and they still have them (in my size, at least!) I was happy with their service, tyres arrived promptly and had been manufactured within the previous couple of months.

Edit: When I last checked the Dunlop WinterSport 3D got even marginally better reviews than my Michelins, so it's all really down to price/availability.

• Advertisement

I have a set of ContiWinterContacts and found them amazing. They were well worth every penny last xmas trying to drive home on roads caked in snow and ice.

thanks, camskill don't got em in my size! :D

I got mine from Pneus Online - just checked and they still have them (in my size, at least!) I was happy with their service, tyres arrived promptly and had been manufactured within the previous couple of months.

Edit: When I last checked the Dunlop WinterSport 3D got even marginally better reviews than my Michelins, so it's all really down to price/availability.

yeah, also out of stock till end September............nuts eh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

I had Nankang Snow SV-2 fitted last winter.

Reasonably priced (€120 per corner) and better than expected performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Cjmcork Dont forget you can get winters part worn also, and if you fit them to a second set up, you should get a couple of seasons out of them at the very least.

nah, gonna get new, reckon if I hit the car off something without them, I'll do a grand's worth of damage at the very least, so am reasonably ok spending a few bob on the tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the best option (if you can) is to avoid the road closures and queues and stay off the roads. Winter tyres won't stop someone else sliding into you, or get you past tailbacks or closed roads. No point being open if no one else can get into the office, or customers can't get into you.

Put some teleworking options in place if you can, or alternative leave arrangements. Let people work back the time, or write it off.

just managed to get a look at this site now - they certainly have more stock than camskill - how long between order and arrival for you Anan?

just managed to get a look at this site now - they certainly have more stock than camskill - how long between order and arrival for you Anan?
    I can't remember, but I think it was pretty quick - ie under a week.

got my spare steels this morning, am so proud of myself - so now I'm going to order my tyres..........just wanted to see what folks reckoned to these (Camskill's stock is v poor at the moment):

Vredestein

Pirelli

Goodyear

am grateful for all comments / feedback

• Advertisement

Here are two i'd be looking at in your size: http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/car-tyres-CONTINENTAL/CONTI-WINTERCONTACT,TS,830/205,55,R16,91,T.html, http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/car-tyres-MICHELIN/ALPIN,A4/205,55,R16,91,T.html . By the way, have you checked what load rating you need? It's the last number on the tyre size, ie 91T/94/98.

Advertisement