Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

You must be the only BMW driver in the country who didn't have issues (4wd excluded obviously)

My brother couldn't even get his M5 out of our yard for over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

You must be the only BMW driver in the country who didn't have issues (4wd excluded obviously)

Nope, I just took it handy, commuted 26 miles a day to work each way and all.
    Saw plenty of people in rear wheel drives too with no problems. We got plenty of snow too, and the council ran out of salt/grit like most places.

If you take it nice and steady it isn't a problem. I am not saying I am a fantastic driver by any means either.

Maybe ye have autos or something? Or its quite hilly around your area?

He didn't get a chance to take it easy or steady cos he couldn't even get the car out as far as the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Weylin wrote: »
    WinterContact TS 810 195/65 R15 91T with ridge , M0 BSW
    ordered 4 of these today. all i need now is snow and ice............:D

What does the MO stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

clansman wrote: »
    What does the MO stand for?
    http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/reading-tyre-markings-advice.html

Mercedes-approved. (Mercedes Original?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

MO tires, for example, are produced to Mercedes specifications, while Porsche-approved tires are labelled N0 – N 4. Tires approved by Jaguar are identifiable as such by a “J”. The tires that BMW fits on the cars at its factories are identified by a small star. The designation “R01” can be found on tires for Audi Quattro GmbH. Tires with such identifiers can, however, also be fitted on other vehicles.
    http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/ca/en/continental/automobile/themes/news/press_releases/hidden/news_press_docs/20080912_Tire_sitewall_en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

PaulKK wrote: »
    That's wierd, I have the exact same size tyres on my 3 series, and I didn't have any problems last winter in mine on summer tyres, is the area you live very hilly?

What BMW do you have if you don't mind me asking, mine came with 16" alloys which I upgraded to the 18s.

I also agree that tyres and oil are very improtant, but I don't think I'd have a problem with part worns as long as I got to inspect them fully before they were fitted.

Fair play to you not having any problem last year, but was well different for me.

Mines a 320 coupe, and the 18's were standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

But he could have had all this fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I've read through some of this thread but nowhere near all 59 pages.
    I've found people recommendations on the higher priced tyres:
    Dunlop, Vredstein, Michellen, Continental etc.. but has anybody any recommendations or experience in the lower end of the price scale. I'm looking at a set of these:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=10469929.124.26380&typ=R-168629&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=0&last_sort=preis_down&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=50&sort_by=preis&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

Any comments? Or Suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Dunlop, Vredstein, Michellen, Continental etc.. but has anybody any recommendations or experience in the lower end of the price scale. I'm looking at a set of these:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=10469929.124.26380&typ=R-168629&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=0&last_sort=preis_down&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=50&sort_by=preis&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

I bought a set of those last month for e55 each.

think you need to order early to avoid the winter price hike.

haven't tried them yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

But he could have had all this fun!
    Understeering and flip oversteering slowly and noisily around a car pack? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Do not buy cheap chinese winter tyres
    They are very dangerous in rainy conditions
    In this size I reccomend this: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=10469929.124.26380&typ=R-172458&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=60&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

€ 20 more per tyre but very good performance on wet and dry as well

Piri wrote: »
    In this size I reccomend this: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=10469929.124.26380&typ=R-172458&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=60&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

€ 20 more per tyre but very good performance on wet and dry as well

I drive on ordinary Nankangs now and don't have a problem with them, are the winters really that bad?

Have you used the Nokian yourself?

Thanks for the reply.

I used those last year on my car in 225/45 17 and couldn't fault them for the price. I ordinarily wouldn't put a Nankang near my car but they were all I could get last year at short notice and I was pleasantly surprised and very happy with them I must admit.

DSC00584.jpg

As I am a confirmed tyre snob I sold the Nankangs to my brother this year and invested in a set of Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 2s, just out of interest really to see if the Goodyears are that much better. Time will tell. I will report back with my findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jimbojetdriver

Well Piri is obviously an expert:rolleyes: However I put 4 of the Nankang Snow SV2's on last weekend! They've been fantastic in the heavy rain of the last few days compared to my Continentals in the downpours 2 weeks ago..no aquaplaning at all!!

The price has gone up 20quid a corner since I got them the start of September though, 17 inch rims! Highly recommend Eiretyres, delivered within the week!

I found them good in the wet as well. They deal with standing water very well, better than all but the best summer tyres. I read the online reviews which does not rate their wet performance very well, but I prefer to make my own mind up on tyres rather than trust a review from an unknown source.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Is it still too mild to put my winter tyres on? There doesn't look to be any major cold snap due over the next 15 days or so. Is there any downside to fitting them if the average temperature is still 10 degrees plus?

Sucks that they're gone up in price but that's my own fault for not ordering early. I Just can't decide what to buy as there's so many out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Mine have gone up about 10% in 2 months, they are on about a month and have found them very good in the wet even though it has been mild, pushed them hard in wet conditions down the Strawberry beds the other day,:D glued to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

silverwood wrote: »
    Is it still too mild to put my winter tyres on? There doesn't look to be any major cold snap due over the next 15 days or so. Is there any downside to fitting them if the average temperature is still 10 degrees plus?

bet you're not saying that this morning..bloody 2.5c where I am :(

• Advertisement

I drive on ordinary Nankangs now and don't have a problem with them, are the winters really that bad?

Have you used the Nokian yourself?

Thanks for the reply.

I had Nokians. They were fantastic. Not comparable to Nankangs , different league.

Cheap winter tyres under Irish rainy conditions could be very bad .
    They have good snow performance and terrible wet performance. Just check some of the ADAC winter tyre tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Righty.. after some more ringing around and conflicting info as to whether I CAN use 205s rather than 215s on my 06 Passat, I finally managed to get through to the guy I previously bought Vredeseins from just outside Ashbourne

None of those in stock but he was suggesting "Power" from Italy or "Saggatar" (spelling could be off?) at €45/€60 respectively and a year's guarantee

Pirelli's he was quoting at around €70 each - all of the above are "all season" tyres

Any thoughts or recommendations - 06 Passat - 215/55/R16 at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Stay away from the cheaper stuff anyway. Speaking from first hand experience I can tell you that Sagitar are utter rubbish. I can only imagine what the cheaper yokes are like.

I doubt the Pirellis are all season tyres at that price.

If I were you I would buy a set of 205/55 winter tyres (Goodyear Ultragrip 8s are great value on Camskill at the moment) and get them on ASAP. I have seen the front tyres on your car and they aren't pretty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If I were you I would buy a set of 205/55 winter tyres (Goodyear Ultragrip 8s are great value on Camskill at the moment) and get them on ASAP. I have seen the front tyres on your car and they aren't pretty :D

Ah but you also said that the 205's weren't a great idea on my car :p

EDIT: Those are also out of stock it seems :(

For winter tyres it is probably a good thing if anything to have them slightly narrower ;)

Edit it is only the extra load rated Goodyears that are out of stock on camskill.

I had Nokians. They were fantastic. Not comparable to Nankangs , different league.

Cheap winter tyres under Irish rainy conditions could be very bad .
    They have good snow performance and terrible wet performance. Just check some of the ADAC winter tyre tests.

Again I appreciate the response but haven't answered my question: Have you actually driven on Nankangs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

frost in Macroom overnight - put my winters on this morning..........hope to not need to test them but they're on now till mid-Feb at least

Again I appreciate the response but haven't answered my question: Have you actually driven on Nankangs?

I have not tried winter Nankangs yet. But tried other cheap winter tyres and bad experience with them. Tyre is the only contact with the road so safety first IMHO:D

• Advertisement

Advertisement