Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Again I appreciate the response but haven't answered my question: Have you actually driven on Nankangs?

some reviews..

http://www.einsehen.de/reifentestcom/cgi-bin/autotest.pl?104z137z108&1&&EN&0&sowigan|104|bewertart|1|tbfeld|1|seite|1|tbsprache|1

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

ootbitb wrote: »

"SV- 1 was rated insufficient or "mangelhaft" by a German test center."
    Mangelhaft=unsatisfactorily
    Not reccomended to use anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Piri wrote: »
    "SV- 1 was rated insufficient or "mangelhaft" by a German test center."
    Mangelhaft=unsatisfactorily
    Not reccomended to use anyway

Yes but the reviews are for the Nankang Snow SV- 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ShayK1 wrote: »
    They seem to be quite positive reviews.
    Thanks for the link.
    Thhese are all amateur testers Not professional ( ADAC, Auto Motor und Sport, ÖAMTC ,Auto Bild ,Stiftung Warentest)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

My car has nokian all seasons tyres fitted. Driving last night it was about 1-2C temperature and the tyres were substantially more grippy than when it was warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

cjmcork wrote: »
    frost in Macroom overnight - put my winters on this morning..........hope to not need to test them but they're on now till mid-Feb at least

drove Cork / Dublin on mine today - just curious re one thing, I reckoned there'd be a bit more cabin noise, but should there be vibration in the cabin more than on regular tyres or is it just a case of needing tracking?????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just stuck on the winters there, first time I've driven on winters ever. Is it normal that they are a fair bit noisier?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

PauloMN wrote: »
    Just stuck on the winters there, first time I've driven on winters ever. Is it normal that they are a fair bit noisier?

Funny you say that. I put mine on today (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D) and was thinking exactly the same thing. :confused:

silverwood wrote: »
    Funny you say that. I put mine on today (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D) and was thinking exactly the same thing. :confused:

s/w, I've the same tyres, any additional vibration through the cabin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

No noticeable vibration at all but definitely noisier. It might be my imagination but it feels as if it takes a bit more power to pull off from standstill and also seems as if the car slows down faster when not braking and foot off accelerator! Sounds mad but seems that way to me. I've never driven on winters before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mine are a similar tyre - Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 - and they are definitely nosier than my summers. Must be the tread pattern. No vibrations through the cabin though.

Some winters are noisier than summers This is normal .
    But some summers are terrible noisy : Bridgestone tyres original factory fitted on SEAT Leon , Goodyear 4 season tyres making huge noise as well .Nothing to do with. I think some factories planning tyres to be very noisy after a while . That forcing the driver to replace tyres sooner than end of life (4mm)
    It is a simple reip off:mad:

PauloMN wrote: »
    Mine are a similar tyre - Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 - and they are definitely nosier than my summers. Must be the tread pattern. No vibrations through the cabin though.

better get her tracked and balanced at the w/e then!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm also on Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and they are noticeably quieter than my summers

No vibration. I'd say your need tracking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

So I went to enquire about winter tyres today at a big tyre centre in the middle of Cork city. To my suprise the guy who owns the outlet told me not to bother wasting my money, that winter tyres are totally unneccesary in Ireland for eleven and a half months of the year and people were basically being conned into wasting their money.

Kind of suprised at his reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

V480 wrote: »
    So I went to enquire about winter tyres today at a big tyre centre in the middle of Cork city. To my suprise the guy who owns the outlet told me not to bother wasting my money, that winter tyres are totally unneccesary in Ireland for eleven and a half months of the year and people were basically being conned into wasting their money.

Next question is always - do you have any anyway?

And when he says no you'll know why he said the above.

No doubt he slipped in 'ah but i ve some lovely all-weathers'.

Otherwise why would a tyre place not want to sell you tyres - if anything the tyre places are really pushing winters as its a new source of income. there is even an ad on tv for them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Next question is always - do you have any anyway?

And when he says no you'll know why he said the above.

No doubt he slipped in 'ah but i ve some lovely all-weathers'.

Otherwise why would a tyre place not want to sell you tyres - if anything the tyre places are really pushing winters as its a new source of income. there is even an ad on tv for them now.

That's what I thought too...

It's a big tyre outlet near the Garda stn in the city, anybody in Cork will know it. He offered to order in the tyres if I wanted him to but that the difference would be minimal in icy conditions, which is what we get alot of rather than actual snow.

I dont know what to do now. My car is worth 1000 euro max and a full set of winters would set me back maby 500...it is alot.

that the difference would be minimal in icy conditions, which is what we get alot of rather than actual snow.

From personal experience i don't believe this to be true. I (RWD too but with winters) and a few 4*4's were the only ones who got out the steep hill from my estate. The 4*4's struggled more than i did.

When the ice started to melt on stephens day and became super slippy on top, i ended up doing taxi too and forth nearby relatives houses, only my car could get out of these estates - others were going around in circles - literally.

I also found breaking on the tyres in both snow and ice much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Ignorance is bliss!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

That's what I thought too...

It's a big tyre outlet near the Garda stn in the city, anybody in Cork will know it. He offered to order in the tyres if I wanted him to but that the difference would be minimal in icy conditions, which is what we get alot of rather than actual snow.

I dont know what to do now. My car is worth 1000 euro max and a full set of winters would set me back maby 500...it is alot.

I wouldn't be so worried about the value of the car, its more to do with how much do you depend on the car?
    In other words can you operate(going to the shops,work, family jobs etc) with out the car. Also remember that the tyres are about safety! how safe do you want to be in the car?

clansman wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so worried about the value of the car, its more to do with how much do you depend on the car?
    In other words can you operate(going to the shops,work, family jobs etc) with out the car. Also remember that the tyres are about safety! how safe do you want to be in the car?
    +1, one of my main reasons for getting them is i can now get to work everyday and not lose money as a result.

In addition to this forget your car - what about a) if you slide into someone elses car worth alot more b) you do damage to yourself personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

FYI winter tires are not that great on ice, they make very little difference, so don't go out with the impression that you will be able to drive normally on frozen pack ice roads/or freezing rain roads, you have about 15% more grip than summers.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    FYI winter tires are not that great on ice, they make very little difference, so don't go out with the impression that you will be able to drive normally on frozen pack ice roads/or freezing rain roads, you have about 15% more grip than summers.
    Agreed, they improve things. You still have to drive sensibly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

JJJJNR wrote: »

I found my winters pretty damn good on ice,even dealt with a patch of black ice pretty well - thank god!!

Anyway finally got the finger out today and got the winter wheels out of the shed so....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Thinking of getting a set of these http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=69881462.124.32054&typ=R-156453&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi for my golf gti.

Now the current tyres I have are 205/55 r16. Should I get the winter tyres in the exact same size as my current one's?
    Also would like to hear if any boardsies have ever used these tyres before?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was told similar by a fella in Donegal. His first responce was to ask me was I going on holiday, when I gave a confused reponce 'no' (thought I was in a tyre centre, not a hair dressers), he said european drivers use them for a few months of the year, and they would only be needed for about a week here, and I'd be wasting my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

irish-stew wrote: »
    I was told similar by a fella in Donegal. His first responce was to ask me was I going on holiday, when I gave a confused reponce 'no' (thought I was in a tyre centre, not a hair dressers), he said european drivers use them for a few months of the year, and they would only be needed for about a week here, and I'd be wasting my money.

Loosely translated this means: he didn't have any winter tires

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

irish-stew wrote: »
    he said european drivers use them for a few months of the year, and they would only be needed for about a week here, and I'd be wasting my money.

He must have been on holidays abroad for the past 2- years.:rolleyes:
    The way I look at it is I pay out the upfront cost of winter tires which should last me 3 seasons so basically my normal tires will gain an extra 8 months at least ...
    If you bought your normal tires and winter tires together then you'd see exactly how long more your normal tires would last and in reality you're not spending extra money but just frontloading it.
    And at least you've the peace and mind of extra security during the winter months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any thoughts on Hankook Optimo 4s all-season tyres for this Passat of mine (205/55/R16)

Advertisement