Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Loosely translated this means: he didn't have any winter tires

I dont think he stocked them full stop, he gave no reaction when told him it was winters i was after, not snows, that i had spare rims for them, but the real give away was he had look them up for a few minutes to give any kind of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Hankook Optimo 4s all-season tyres for this Passat of mine (205/55/R16)

I just put Falken on my Passat..€89 each...... They seem to have holes for studs in them... I do not know anything about their quality or how good the studs would be on snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Bit of a dopey question.

Took a knock off a pot whole and needed a new replacement tyre (Summer)
    I've four winters sitting on rims ready to go on, but I need slightly different bolts for the new alloys.

The tracking is out due to the pothole. Am I better living with the pull on the tracking until I fit the winters or will it make any odds if I get the tracking sorted now while the summers are still on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Hankook Optimo 4s all-season tyres for this Passat of mine (205/55/R16)

I have Nokian Entyres all season tyres on my car. They can be recommended, definately noticed a difference a few days ago when it got near freezing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've still got steels from a Corolla E11 with great tyres up for sale.

I'd rather see someone here who needs them get them for next to nothing than have them rot out back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Looking through all the posts here, it's all a bit confusing for the less informed.
    Shortly needing new tyres and with a tight budget,
    what I would like to know is:

1. In Ireland, is it better to get winter tyres for use all year round or 'all season' tyres' ? It seems to be the thinking here rather than summer tyres for all year round. What are the cons for using winter tyres in the summer?

2. Are 'snow' tyres much different to 'winter' tyres?

Can anyone recommend a good tyre for all year round for a Corolla, 165/65 R14?
    Budget is around €70-80 per tyre max.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

A-Trak wrote: »
    Bit of a dopey question.

Took a knock off a pot whole and needed a new replacement tyre (Summer)
    I've four winters sitting on rims ready to go on, but I need slightly different bolts for the new alloys.

The tracking is out due to the pothole. Am I better living with the pull on the tracking until I fit the winters or will it make any odds if I get the tracking sorted now while the summers are still on?

I'm no expert but if you don't get the tracking done now you risk uneven wear on the Summer Tyres.
    There's no problem getting the tracking done now the only issue is cost if you have to get it done again when the winters are put on. You shouldn't have to though but I suppose you won't know until they're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

cjmcork wrote: »
    I'd rather a gammy looking set of steels with minimal damage in the snow than a lovely set of alloys sticking out of my car crashed into the car in front of me when we inevitably run out of salt! :D

I do love this quote
    4 nankang sv2 owner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a set of these http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=69881462.124.32054&typ=R-156453&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi for my golf gti.

Now the current tyres I have are 205/55 r16. Should I get the winter tyres in the exact same size as my current one's?
    Also would like to hear if any boardsies have ever used these tyres before?

Assuming you are keeping same wheels, I'd suggest staying the same. I have Falken summer tyres on now, but I will not be replacing them, however the winter tyres may be quite satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Local newspaper first page: advertisement. Glanworth Tyres.
    They have wintertyres in stock
    I have called given number No response...
    Another bad experinece today I have asked local tyre shop 2 months ago about summer tyres in my size 225/55/16 He gave me price € 100 two months ago Today it was € 125 for the same Nokian tyres :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Going to order a set of the Dunlop sport 4d wheels (225/50/17) for my car.
    After speaking to several BMW owners last year who were all stuck in their drives I can't take the chance.
    It's gonna cost me €732 but the 4 months I have them on my car is 4 months extra for my normal wheels.
    Looking at them lasting about 3-4 seasons I reckon I won't have to replace my other tyres for another year.

Got my steel rim off Traynors truck in rathmines this morning to match my spare, theses will go on my ordered Nankang sv2's
    To match the 2 I got from Eiretyres , made a mistake not toorder 4 together .
    I got away lighter on price cus mine is freeish and €25 for 2nd spare - compared to buying 2 from Eire

Has people got a problem with delticom because all I read is camskill and penus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Its not gonna snow this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

shblob wrote: »
    Its not gonna snow this year!!

Good thing this isn't the Mega SNOW tyres thread then isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

batman1 wrote: »

Can anyone recommend a good tyre for all year round for a Corolla, 165/65 R14?
    Budget is around €70-80 per tyre max.
    Thanks

look here and check out the test results link. Review gives very good results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Was down at my local tyre place yesterday getting a repair done and he said over 50% of current business is winter tyres, and he has a large floating stock of winters also.

I don't know if thats a good sign, usually when people prepare for events nothing happens! its a bad omen. I think this winter is going to be like a typical one, wet..then again I was driving through white water rapids a couple of weeks ago and my car was really gripy even with all the tree mulch/gravel/silt on the roads, so regardless I think I'll be swapping over to winters for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

I have been looking to buy two 195x55x16 for the front wheels of a diesel Punto grande. I have quotes for Barum, BF Goodridge and Continental. I have the latter on the car but they are the dearest of the three to replace. Has anyone used the other two brands and have they as good a wet grip and not too much road noise. There is 85 euro price difference between lowest and highest. I have also been quoted for Sunny but have never heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

haymur wrote: »
    I have been looking to buy two 195x55x16 for the front wheels of a diesel Punto grande.
    What's on the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

conti's for the next few months till I get a few more quids,sill 4mm left

haymur wrote: »
    conti's for the next few months till I get a few more quids,sill 4mm left
    Winters with 4mm are pretty much shot tbh, AFAIK the replace them with 6mm in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Autocar winter tyre teerst in the wet at 10 C

So I was thinking hard about this!

Q. Do you have to warm up winter tyres, get some energy in to them for them to work more efficiently . ?

A.

bdeithrick wrote: »
    So I was thinking hard about this!

Q. Do you have to warm up winter tyres, get some energy in to them for them to work more efficiently . ?

A.

Well I suppose that's one way of dealing with snow and ice, just melt it out of your way. Plenty of revs so, get the tyres spinning nice and fast should do the trick.;)

Do now I'm all winter mounted and ready ! Where the snow, it's 15c constant out all days,
    Better use these winters because in 5 years they be only half worn.
    So dec 1st maybe ? Emm when to shod the soft runner

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Crap..looks like prices are going up again..
    Was going to get the Dunlop 4D (€732) but looking at reviews the Continental 830's are a better type but €100 dearer for the set...
    Or were...until the price increase...only €60 between the 2 now and the contintental's are significantly better tyre

Dunlop 4D review

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259474/dunlop_sp_winter_sport_4d.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259447/continental_contiwintercontact_ts_830_p.html

What is impressive though is the all weather tyres...not as bad as soon people claim.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259465/vredestein_quatrac_3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

I'm in the same boat as the OP. But I don't need the car to get to work in a pinch, and I can't seem to find tyres for my 235-30-19. I'd only be making the odd trip down the country at Christmas, so I'm debating the economy of winter tyres (which I can't find at the moment) -v- dropping a rim size or two -v- just buying socks for the essential journeys...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sorry, long time since I've been here so didn't see the sticky...
    ANyway, here's the video:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

If you were in a serious accident could your insurance be void for not having the correct spec tyres on the vehicle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I reckon if you had tyres in sizes not approved by manufacturer you might be in trouble.

Personally I would like insurance not paying if you had any Chinese tyres fitted.

Advertisement