Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Well hung wrote: »
    its not gonna snow, you all wasted your moneys.

Well then Mr Well Hung, I guess you are not the only one who wasted money on extra large rubbers through wishful thinking then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Shane732 wrote: »
    Only noticed I have a sticky now.....

Success!!! :D:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6UAYGxiRwU

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Average temperature this month has been above 7 degrees - have people swapped back to their summer tyres - if you haven't any difference in performance with the winter tyres.

I would imagine that most people don't notice a difference with tyres as speed limits should mean you never come close to the limits of performance save in extreme weather conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

TheZ wrote: »
    Average temperature this month has been above 7 degrees - have people swapped back to their summer tyres - if you haven't any difference in performance with the winter tyres.

I would imagine that most people don't notice a difference with tyres as speed limits should mean you never come close to the limits of performance save in extreme weather conditions

My winters feel a lot different. They are much more compliant, nowhere near as stiff or as responsive as my summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

b318isp wrote: »
    My winters feel a lot different. They are much more compliant, nowhere near as stiff or as responsive as my summers.

don't understand this post:confused:

mine are still in the shed awaiting MTCranium's cold weather forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

i find mine great in the rain, and i only use the car early morning and when it is dark so the temps are lower at these points, so the temps should be near the point where winters are ok to use.
    when it is warm i do find the car a bit sticky at high speeds.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

ootbitb wrote: »
    don't understand this post:confused:

My winters feel a lot more "mushy" than my summers. I assume this is due to greater compliance in the sidewalls and thread blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

how bout just buying a set of snow socks then put 1 on the front drivers wheels and the other on the left rear, wud that give more grip:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hadepsx wrote: »
    how bout just buying a set of snow socks then put 1 on the front drivers wheels and the other on the left rear, wud that give more grip:o

snow socks are only for getting the car out when stuck..not for normal driving...
    look at it this way...by investing in winters you'd extending the life of your normal tyres so you're not losing in any way..just frontloading the cost..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It would give more grip on the front right wheel and left rear.

But what would you need that for?
    Definitely not for driving on ice, as if you can't run without snow socks, such setup wouldn't change a thing,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

TheZ wrote: »

I've been driving yesterday at about 13 degrees and car feels very "spongy" on bends.

And I wouldn't agree with your saying speed limits should mean you never come close to the limit of performance.
    On a regional road near me, with 80km/h limit through it, there's a few bends where you need to use rally driving techniques to actually make it through those bends at 80km/h on dry surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Doing this would give a graphic demonstration of the way a differential works.

explain "graphic demo".
    so snow socks are only good for snow, and not for any icey conditions correct?

explain "graphic demo".
    so snow socks are only good for snow, and not for any icey conditions correct?
    Standard diffs (not LSD) will put all the power through a spinning wheel.
    This is the wheel with least traction.
    A standard car will be stuck if one driven wheel has no traction.
    If you put one sock on, the power will all go through the sockless wheel on any surface that has less than optimum traction.
    Google how a differential works and you can see for yourself the magic of differentials.

put on my winters on Saturday and amazed at the difference..
    even at 11c they felt way better than my other tyres (and they're practically new) and fantastic grip...glad now I made the decision to buy em :)
    Bring on the snow!!!! ;)

thanks cj,just did, i get it now cheers, so wot if u put 4 snow socks on. just for the really bad weather, would that be better than no winters at all, as im a bit skint to be buying 4 winters, even part worn.

thanks cj,just did, i get it now cheers, so wot if u put 4 snow socks on. just for the really bad weather, would that be better than no winters at all, as im a bit skint to be buying 4 winters, even part worn.

Have a read...

http://www.autosock.co.uk/autosock-snow-sock-faq.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    put on my winters on Saturday and amazed at the difference..
    even at 11c they felt way better than my other tyres (and they're practically new) and fantastic grip...glad now I made the decision to buy em :)
    Bring on the snow!!!! ;)[/QUOTE

Weather to turn colder by end of week, sleet/snow in exposed areas, the real bad weather is not coming until January, but with the winters on, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Good video review done by Autoexpress on Winter Tyres v Summer Tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Good video review done by Autoexpress on Winter Tyres v Summer Tyres.

Interesting clip, I wouldn't necessarily agree with fitting them for half the year. If 7 degrees is the critical temperature 3/4 months should be plenty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

with this mild weather to put the winter tyres on yet ???

i have them ordered and just have to pay but wasnt sure if it was necessary yet ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Its not mild no more brother. my car read 4.5 degrees tonight and gave me a snowflake symbol.

Winter tyres don't necessarily turn to mush over 7 deg!
    I have Nokian WRG2 fitted for a few weeks now, and temps have been up around 12+ on occasion. They feel different but still grip very well.
    I think you could use them almost year round here.
    I would rather have them fitted than not, especially if the weather turned cold which it looks like it may be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

methinks after this winter the big debate about winter tyres will pass into history! and theres gonna be a lot of people after spending a fortune on winter tyres praying for snow in march to justify getting them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

everything passes into hitsory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

enricoh wrote: »
    methinks after this winter the big debate about winter tyres will pass into history! and theres gonna be a lot of people after spending a fortune on winter tyres praying for snow in march to justify getting them!

remember this post next time you're replacing your normal summer tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Put my winters on there today (at last)

temps are very low for myself with all dark driving now so even if i dont get snow the temps will make up for it.

felt the summers get sticky and slower on me !

I put mine on last week and the difference is amazing, way more grip and tbh I feel a lot safer in the car and have peace of mind.
    Even if it doesn't snow we do get frost and ice every year without fail ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

I put 4 x Vredestein Wintrac Extremes on my Sportage last weekend , and my wife has commented how good they are already , in the Wet she says they are much more confident and don't aquaplane like last tyres, Uniroyal RainSport, in saying this, now that I have spent a lot on these, the chances of Snow this winter are Nil !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

-1deg this morning for me,
    one hour drive to work and the temperature never passed 2deg

You don't need snow to justify winter tyres!!!

Advertisement