Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

E39MSport wrote: »
    everything passes into hitsory
    Absurdum wrote: »
    remember this post next time you're replacing your normal summer tyres
    Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I put mine on last week and the difference is amazing, way more grip and tbh I feel a lot safer in the car and have peace of mind.
    Even if it doesn't snow we do get frost and ice every year without fail ;)
    clansman wrote: »
    -1deg this morning for me,
    one hour drive to work and the temperature never passed 2deg

You don't need snow to justify winter tyres!!!

Don't feed the troll

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

techie wrote: »
    I put 4 x Vredestein Wintrac Extremes on my Sportage last weekend , and my wife has commented how good they are already , in the Wet she says they are much more confident and don't aquaplane like last tyres, Uniroyal RainSport, in saying this, now that I have spent a lot on these, the chances of Snow this winter are Nil !!:D

Wow uniroyal rainsports must be bleedin awful in the wet as i find the one week point of wintrac extremes is extreme wet weather driving.Having said that in all other areas i find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I had been debating weather or not to go for a winter tyre. The summer tyres I had were due a change. In the end I went for the Hankook Optimo 4s. It's an all weather tyre. While not a winter tyre it does have the snowflake symbol. It has been getting fairly good reviews.
    Got 4 of them yesterday from a local supplier for €95 a corner. It will interesting to see how they hold up in any icy or snow conditions and also how much they wear in higher temperatures.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259459/hankook_optimo_4s.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Got to my car last night it was covered in frost and -1.5 C :D

The dunlop wintersport 3d's were rock solid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Winters went on today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I did some winter tyre hunting today and I have to say, it's not looking very good for getting any. Cheapest I was offered was €172.50 for Nankang SV2's.

Finding part worns seems to be a lost cause as well. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

dar83 wrote: »
    I did some winter tyre hunting today and I have to say, it's not looking very good for getting any. Cheapest I was offered was €172.50 for Nankang SV2's.

Finding part worns seems to be a lost cause as well. :(

winter just crept up on you eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Haha, not quite. Been considering for a while, but only got a new car recently and was undecided on either sticking with the 18's or going down to 17's.

Two out of three places I went to today told me I'd not even need winters (ie. didn't have any), the other place didn't have my size but I've to give them a call at the end of the week as they do have some stock coming in but possibly still not my size.

got mine online in September from eiretyres. about 5 days delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

ootbitb wrote: »
    got mine online in September from eiretyres. about 5 days delivery.

Got a set off them too, Nankang Snow SV-2's, they're a good tyre, great grip in the wet, havent tried them in the snow or ice yet though (obviously the weather hasn't provided the conditions :D) and reasonably priced according to the guy who fit them for me, apparently they have reinforced side walls which I didn't realise when I bought them.

• Advertisement

Got a set off them too, Nankang Snow SV-2's, they're a good tyre, great grip in the wet, havent tried them in the snow or ice yet though (obviously the weather hasn't provided the conditions :D) and reasonably priced according to the guy who fit them for me, apparently they have reinforced side walls which I didn't realise when I bought them.

got the same tyres . confirm all you said plus feels like the car brakes have been adjusted it stops so quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Noticed great performance from the winters this morning on the motorway.

Also coming out of the house around the village at that it was rather frosty and icy but the tyres kept their grip well on the corners and that.

On the M50 got great mpgs with the car temp being 2 - 3oC

Spent most of the trip with the car sitting on 3-4L/100kms real time.

Sound move on the tyres I say.

Will be driving home at 3am too !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

rhonin wrote: »
    ...In the end I went for the Hankook Optimo 4s. It's an all weather tyre. While not a winter tyre it does have the snowflake symbol. It has been getting fairly good reviews. Got 4 of them yesterday from a local supplier for €95 a corner. ...

These ones? Link to Eiretyres

It says 145 for 225/45/17. What size was yours, and where/who's your local supplier? Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

rhonin wrote: »
    I had been debating weather or not to go for a winter tyre. The summer tyres I had were due a change. In the end I went for the Hankook Optimo 4s. It's an all weather tyre. While not a winter tyre it does have the snowflake symbol. It has been getting fairly good reviews.
    Got 4 of them yesterday from a local supplier for €95 a corner. It will interesting to see how they hold up in any icy or snow conditions and also how much they wear in higher temperatures.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259459/hankook_optimo_4s.html

I put 4 of these on my Passat a few weeks back and I've found them great so far in the bad rain/low temperatures we've been getting lately.

Despite some very poor surface conditions (mostly down to poor drainage on an almost new motorway), the car has felt very sure-footed/wheeled? :p at all speeds, and no issues with sharp-ish bends/roundabouts either.

Real test will be the snow/ice of course, but so far I'm very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

Did anyone find a local tyre dealer in Dublin who is willing to match prices from eiretyres.com? I would love to help Irish economy and spend money locally but I can't handle 80e difference on one tyre :D

Looking for these three particular models

Uniroyal RainSport 2
    225/45 R17 94V XL with raised rim rib
    only € 119,60

Continental SportContact 2 SSR
    225/45 R17 91V with raised rim rib, runflat, *
    only € 147,30

Bridgestone Potenza S-02
    225/45 ZR17 ZR KZ, N3
    only € 175,90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

positron wrote: »
    These ones? Link to Eiretyres

It says 145 for 225/45/17. What size was yours, and where/who's your local supplier? Thanks a million!

Yeah that's them. Mine are 205/55/16 so were cheaper. Local Hankook supplier is Regans in Sligo. (I don't have any connections with them) They did have to order the tyres in for me.
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I put 4 of these on my Passat a few weeks back and I've found them great so far in the bad rain/low temperatures we've been getting lately.

Despite some very poor surface conditions (mostly down to poor drainage on an almost new motorway), the car has felt very sure-footed/wheeled? :p at all speeds, and no issues with sharp-ish bends/roundabouts either.

Real test will be the snow/ice of course, but so far I'm very happy

Yeah, they seem pretty good so far. I did a good bit of driving over the weekend in very wet conditions and they felt very secure on the road. I also found them much quieter than the Hankook summer tyres I had on. As you say the real test will be on the ice and snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

techie wrote: »
    I put 4 x Vredestein Wintrac Extremes on my Sportage last weekend , and my wife has commented how good they are already , in the Wet she says they are much more confident and don't aquaplane like last tyres, Uniroyal RainSport, in saying this, now that I have spent a lot on these, the chances of Snow this winter are Nil !!:D

I have the same tyres, I put them on last week and the difference between them and the Dunlop ST20s is unreal. I don't know why I bothered changing back tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just picked up a second hand set of 205/55/R16 H Michelin Pilots on Original Volvo 16inch Alloys for 447 euros, Their pretty much new at just over 7mm just used once last year for the Winter, owner sold their C30 and bought a V70.

I'll have a set of Alloys now in the shed I can just swap over when it gets below 4 degrees.

And also have a proper spare in the boot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I am enjoying my first winter with winter tyres on the car and I really haven't noticed any difference in mider weather, other than slightly more noise with road contact but the window has to be open to hear it.

My only criticism is the amount of pebbles/small stones they seem to pick up which can create noise with road contact.

Otherwise highly recommended and it remains to be seen whether we will get snow which will be a further test.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If it's any use (or just for comparison) I got 4x 205/55/R16 for €340 fitted and balanced in Tyrehunter Navan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I got a quote for Hankook Optimo 4S 225/45/17 @ €150 a corner, which is actually €5 cheaper than eiretyre and includes fitting! The catch though is that they would only have the tyres after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mossir

I got a quote for Hankook Optimo 4S 225/45/17 @ €150 a corner, which is actually €5 cheaper than eiretyre and includes fitting! The catch though is that they would only have the tyres after Christmas.
    Dongeal tyre centre have a keen price Uniroyal `17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Winter tyres should be no better than summers over 7C in the wet.

They are worse when in wet weather above 10C in my experience anyhow.

In snow and ice, they are in different league though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

cant help wondering in irish conditions would it be better to have the all weather tyres rather than the winter tyres?... even knowing that all weathers are just not as good as true winter tyres when it comes to proper snow and ice.

Be far easier to decide when to take the summers off then
    i see the 15day forcast on accu weather is giving 1-12 degree's
    But that is for the sunny south of Cork;)

perplexed:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Went to put the winters on using the standard scissors jack.
    Car slipped off the jacking point as I was putting one wheel on.

The shock of the car dropping snapped the rear passenger side handbrake cable as well as breaking an earth on the battery which gave me an awful fright, dashboard like a Christmas tree and not starting.

I'll never know how people get under a car using those bloody tiny scissors jacks without support.

Anyway earths replaced & I've ordered the hand brake cable which I should be able to do I think.

I only have access to a trolley jack, no stands.
    Will that suffice just to change the wheels one at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I always put the wheel that I want to change under the car and near the jack just for a situation like yours. If the jack slips, at least the car lands on something soft and avoid any damage to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

That's good thinking. Luckily I just had the wheel on the hub when it dropped otherwise I'd have a fooked hub.

So should I be ok with a trolley jack, flat surface and changing wheels one at a time without stands?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I'd say you'll be ok as long as you leave the wheel that you want to change under the car. I have two stands in the shed but they're too tall, my jack won't lift the car high enough to fit them under the car. On top of that it will take me longer to put the car on the two stands, change the wheels and then lower the car. The wheel under the car method works faster for me and it's pretty safe proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

A-Trak wrote: »
    Went to put the winters on using the standard scissors jack.
    Car slipped off the jacking point as I was putting one wheel on.

The shock of the car dropping snapped the rear passenger side handbrake cable as well as breaking an earth on the battery which gave me an awful fright, dashboard like a Christmas tree and not starting.

I'll never know how people get under a car using those bloody tiny scissors jacks without support.

Anyway earths replaced & I've ordered the hand brake cable which I should be able to do I think.

I only have access to a trolley jack, no stands.
    Will that suffice just to change the wheels one at a time?

Makes you think twice when something like that happens. I'm very iffy getting under cars even with the proper gear supporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

A-Trak wrote: »
    That's good thinking. Luckily I just had the wheel on the hub when it dropped otherwise I'd have a fooked hub.

So should I be ok with a trolley jack, flat surface and changing wheels one at a time without stands?

Yea I change the wheels while the car is supported just on the trolley jack. But for anything else I have timber props under the car.

You absolutely gotta chock the wheel(s) on the other side of the car when using the jack; a big risk is that the car rolls fwd/back a few inches and falls off the jack. Take care.

Advertisement