Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just replaces the 245/70/16 Yokohama tyres that were on an Isuzu crew cab with a new set of BF Goodrich AT's.

Not done enough miles on them yet to have any clear indication of any difference, the Yokohama's never upset me, even in the snow last winter, it went into FWD when it got snowy, and stayed there for several weeks until it went away.

I've had 2 sets of the Yokohamas over the years, but they're like hens teeth to find now, and the BFG's were in stock at my local dealer, and the main source for Dublin are not expecting any more till Mid to late January, so I grabbed them quick, by late Jan, the rears would have been seriously illegal, and the front not a lot better, which at this time of year is not a good idea. The price was a little higher, but not changing them now could have been a lot more expensive in terms of risk and possibly cost, it's been noticable that there are regular roadside tyre checks being done around here.

I had things like tracking checked at the same time, just to be sure, and at the moment, they certainly seem to handle nicely.

What was a disaster in comparison was a set of Federal that went on after the first set of Yokohama's wore out. They didn't last any time at all in comparison, and there wasn't a significant price differential to justify the much lower mileage I got out of them. Didn't see any difference in performance either, so when they went, another set of Yokohamas went on.

What I do know from talking to a friend of mine who has BFG's on a Land Cruiser is that he's got over 60K Km's on his so far, and I do know that he's not got a light right foot. I shall be interested to see how they perform on my machine over the next while, and the test of their snow performance may come sooner than I was expecting, there's a hint of some possible snow on higher ground this week.

From looking around at a good number of places, some of the "standard" 4x4 sizes are very scarce right now, and likely to remain so for a while. Importing from the UK is not much help at the moment, by the time they are shipped and fitted, there's not much left, which in some respects is a good thing, it means that at last, prices here are becoming competitive.

Time will tell

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

m4r10 wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be ok as long as you leave the wheel that you want to change under the car. I have two stands in the shed but they're too tall, my jack won't lift the car high enough to fit them under the car. On top of that it will take me longer to put the car on the two stands, change the wheels and then lower the car. The wheel under the car method works faster for me and it's pretty safe proof.

I always throw the spare under the car beside the jack with a few blocks of timber on top.

It has nowhere to go then if it does slip.

Those little jacks are only for emergencies really, although I'm guilty of using it myself, I really need to invest in a good 2 ton jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Just replaces the 245/70/16 Yokohama tyres that were on an Isuzu crew cab with a new set of BF Goodrich AT's.

Not done enough miles on them yet to have any clear indication of any difference, the Yokohama's never upset me, even in the snow last winter, it went into FWD when it got snowy, and stayed there for several weeks until it went away.

I've had 2 sets of the Yokohamas over the years, but they're like hens teeth to find now, and the BFG's were in stock at my local dealer, and the main source for Dublin are not expecting any more till Mid to late January, so I grabbed them quick, by late Jan, the rears would have been seriously illegal, and the front not a lot better, which at this time of year is not a good idea. The price was a little higher, but not changing them now could have been a lot more expensive in terms of risk and possibly cost, it's been noticable that there are regular roadside tyre checks being done around here.

I had things like tracking checked at the same time, just to be sure, and at the moment, they certainly seem to handle nicely.

What was a disaster in comparison was a set of Federal that went on after the first set of Yokohama's wore out. They didn't last any time at all in comparison, and there wasn't a significant price differential to justify the much lower mileage I got out of them. Didn't see any difference in performance either, so when they went, another set of Yokohamas went on.

What I do know from talking to a friend of mine who has BFG's on a Land Cruiser is that he's got over 60K Km's on his so far, and I do know that he's not got a light right foot. I shall be interested to see how they perform on my machine over the next while, and the test of their snow performance may come sooner than I was expecting, there's a hint of some possible snow on higher ground this week.

From looking around at a good number of places, some of the "standard" 4x4 sizes are very scarce right now, and likely to remain so for a while. Importing from the UK is not much help at the moment, by the time they are shipped and fitted, there's not much left, which in some respects is a good thing, it means that at last, prices here are becoming competitive.

Time will tell

Steve

Those AT's are shyte on ice but excellent in soft snow from experience. Also poor in mud from reading reviews.

I went through last year's bad weather with 285/75R16LT BFG AT KO's. They wear very well and I would have expected massive mileage from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davemoy

I've just seen on another forum that a company in Mallow, Co. Cork are advertising discounted prices on Winter tyres. I've copied the prices advertised below for anyone thats interested. I'm kicking myself as I only bought a set of 205/55-16 last week and paid well over the odds by the looks of it adn at that they weren't brands like Michelin available.

hope this is of help to someone on here.

EARS Tyre & Auto Repair Centre
    165/70-14 BFGoodrich G-Force Winter: 62euro
    175/65-14 Kormoran Snowpro: 54euro
    195/60-15 Kormoran Snowpro: 64euro
    185/65-15 Kormoran Snowpro: 63euro
    195/65-15 Kormoran Snowpro: 65euro
    195/65-15 BFGoodrich G-Force Winter: 69euro
    195/65-15 Michelin Alpin A4: 75euro
    205/55-16 BFGoodrich G-Force Winter: 95euro
    205/55-16 Michelin Alpin A4: 110euro
    215/55-16 BFGoodrich G-Force Winter: 118euro
    215/55-16 X/Load BFGoodrich G-force Winter: 129euro
    225/40-18 BFGoodrich G-Force Winter: 155euro
    all prices include vat. delivery available
    sales@ears.ie ot tel: 022-42050

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

wow hav u seen the prices on them spider yokes, mad. ud get 4 winters for them prices.

anyway my question is= is it wise to put winters on, even if they are a different brand from the front 2, to the back 2. ie if i put 2 winter bridgestones on front and 2 winter contis on back. ive been given a good price on winters, just not a set of 4 of the same brand. any thoughts lads pls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

hadepsx wrote: »
    wow hav u seen the prices on them spider yokes, mad. ud get 4 winters for them prices.

anyway my question is= is it wise to put winters on, even if they are a different brand from the front 2, to the back 2. ie if i put 2 winter bridgestones on front and 2 winter contis on back. ive been given a good price on winters, just not a set of 4 of the same brand. any thoughts lads pls

Yes it is no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Woo. Good coating of snow this morning in Dublin 16.
    I'll be able to test the winters properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Came in with the mate this morning as I've an xmas party this afternoon and was raging I couldn't test my winters out :mad:
    Boss also drives a BMW and even though he's only 3-miles away he was bricking it this morning as the car was all over the place..he didn't bother with winters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

The housing estate this morning had a good layer of snow on it this morning as I was leaving.

Tyres held well, really had to push the car very hard to get it to slip, even then the vsa kicked in and saved all !

Hate to think what the aullads vectra is doing in bald summers !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not much sign of the winter tyre sceptics these days..:D
    Lots of smug winter tyre owners though:)

• Advertisement

Tried my Alpine A4's on very icey roads this morning - night and day.

Very happy.

estate was lethal this morning and not even winters saved me..
    Hopped my 520d off the kerb but hopefully only the tracking is off...was getting alerts for my driver electronics being disabled but seems fine now..
    my own fault completely..I was switching glasses when I lost control and was too slow to react..that'll teach me ..

What's amazing though...I came across at least 4 crashes (all single vehicles) both on the normal roads and motorway and people were still bombing along while I was trundling along at 60kph.....so many idiots out there and not enough brain cells to go around ;)

Perhaps without the winters you may have had a cracked/buckled alloy also. :)

You got 4 winters or just 2?

E39MSport wrote: »
    Perhaps without the winters you may have had a cracked/buckled alloy also. :)

You got 4 winters or just 2?

4x winters....even if I had 4wd it wouldn't have mattered..once I lost grip that was it..stupid tarmacadam estates :D

Adam Worth wrote: »
    <snip spam>

Take it handy...even on ice winter's won't save you as I found out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭peltor

I have to agree, everyone on here praising winters are the only way to go, no one says how the road noise is unreal off them or the car is heavier on petrol as in L/100km ,I will admit the car does feel more sure footed in slushy wet conditions and fresh snow the grip is a bit better, but trying uphill in total Ice no good gravity rules... I think only way to go if u can afford is Good tyres ie Winters & set of chains for those really slippy places that the winters just don't cut it, Watch out january is supposed to be bad..
    We should start a Winter tyre performance thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

peltor wrote: »
    I have to agree, everyone on here praising winters are the only way to go, no one says how the road noise is unreal off them or the car is heavier on petrol as in L/100km

How much higher is your fuel consumption? I'm running my winter tyres around a month now and I'm getting my usual fuel economy, no difference whatsoever.

They are noisier though, in particular at around 60kph on a smooth road.

I found the cars fuel consumption to increase by about 0.5L/100km, i am putting this down to the enhanced grip in normal road conditions as opposed to my michelins(summer) but I am a mechanic by trade and the road noise sounds like a bad wheel bearing on a smooth rd :eek: drives me mad listening to it

Hahah,

Saw some eejit with winters take a corner too fast being over confident ending up sliding on ice & kerbing his alloys.

Only cosmetic much damage done but I told him that Winters help, but don't change winter road conditions into summer driving conditions. I think he learned his lesson.

*I am that eejit and was talking to myself.

An eejit wouldn't learn the lesson ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just for the record, my winters are quieter than my summer tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I found the cars fuel consumption to increase by about 0.5L/100km, i am putting this down to the enhanced grip in normal road conditions as opposed to my michelins(summer) but I am a mechanic by trade and the road noise sounds like a bad wheel bearing on a smooth rd :eek: drives me mad listening to it

Like for like winters have less rolling road resistance. They have less rubber contact with the road.

Typical of the silly posts in relation to winters on this thread.

Blazer wrote: »
    estate was lethal this morning and not even winters saved me..
    Hopped my 520d off the kerb but hopefully only the tracking is off...was getting alerts for my driver electronics being disabled but seems fine now..
    my own fault completely..I was switching glasses when I lost control and was too slow to react..that'll teach me ..

What's amazing though...I came across at least 4 crashes (all single vehicles) both on the normal roads and motorway and people were still bombing along while I was trundling along at 60kph.....so many idiots out there and not enough brain cells to go around ;)

U would be better to concentrate on getting ready to drive before moving off, especially on poor conditions.

650Ginge wrote: »
    Like for like winters have less rolling road resistance. They have less rubber contact with the road.

I am not going off topic with this but you are talking through your (not your mouth)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Just for the record, my winters are quieter than my summer tyres.

Noticed the same with my all seasons, I was expecting them to be noisier.

650Ginge wrote: »

I am not going off topic with this but you are talking through your (not your mouth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_I2q-M8pY4&#38;feature=youtube_gdata_player

Maybe I am and even after seeing the video u will still assert ur knowledge superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Mine are quieter and also seem to have better fuel consumption compared to summers. However, the latter is expected as size is 205/55/16, so narrower than 225/45/17 which the summers are. Winters are Nokians while regular tyres are Hankook.

Your increased fuel consumption could be due to colder weather and increased congestion approaching Xmas. Noise: The old school winter tyres used to be really noisy but the last two sets (previous ones were Vredestein) of them have been surprisingly quiet and smooth. What make are yours?

Mine are definitely quieter too. Same amount of thread on the summers I took off so no difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

We should start a Winter tyre performance thread.

That's what this thread is for would ya believe :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

A-Trak wrote: »
    Mine are definitely quieter too. Same amount of thread on the summers I took off so no difference there.

my winters are actually a bit noiser on the surface now.

because of the thread pattern and so on.

now they are performing well... my mpgs lately have being quite good.

im just afraid our winter tyre plan has being a bit outlived by not very artic tempatures this year. unless the worst is still to come ?

Advertisement