Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Mine are quieter, but my other set is an all season one which are pretty noisy, not summers. I was getting all exited a few days ago with the little snow that we got, but it seems we have to wait till next year to see some snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

m4r10 wrote: »
    but it seems we have to wait till next year to see some snow :(

Yeah because winter is over now,and historically we have never gotten snow in January February or March :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

tossy wrote: »
    Yeah because winter is over now,and historically we have never gotten snow in January February or March :D

You do realise next year is ten days away ?

You do realise next year is ten days away ?

Face palm :D Anyway i'm sure the OP meant next year as in next winter,surely? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

tossy wrote: »
    Face palm :D Anyway i'm sure the OP meant next year as in next winter,surely? :D

Eh I didn't read it that way but it could be either I suppose. We will have to wait til he clarifies !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Well, I'm hoing that it will snow sooner rather than later just to justify the winter tyres. So I really meant this winter but next year now that the weather forecast doesn't look good for the next few days (regarding the winter tyres).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Just Out a few mins ago

Temp showing +10C and wet

Felt the tyres slipping and skidding.

Temp would wanna drop below 7 or I'd be considering throwing the summers back on !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Just Out a few mins ago

Temp would wanna drop below 7 or I'd be considering throwing the summers back on !
    What brand winter tyres are you using?
    My Nokian WRG2 are performing very well for the last month or more.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Just Out a few mins ago

What brand winter tyres are you using?
    My Nokian WRG2 are performing very well for the last month or more.

Sp sport or something I dunno.

They were doing very well for the last month and kept grip well under 7C

Just a note for our virgin winter tyre users. PSI values make a huge difference with winter tyres,what might be perfect for your summers may not be the correct amount for your winters e.g

My car (heavy) A4 quattro avant.

Summer tyres Goodyear F1s steady 34 psi all round is what i found to be the best set up.

Winter tyres Vredestein wintrac extremes - Last year when brand new i found 34 psi to be ideal especially in the snow - in fact i think i went a little higher at the worst of the snow,this year with a bit of wear on them i found 34 psi to be less than ideal especially on the really icey roads we've had lately.recently reduced them to 32 psi all round and found a big difference.So do a little experimenting and see what works for you.

• Advertisement

temp is way too high for the like.

very tempted to take the wheels off and throw the summers back on.

who agree's or will the weather get cold again ?

this day last year was -14C !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Happy days I say. Lovin this mild weather...... ominous though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

temp is way too high for the like.

very tempted to take the wheels off and throw the summers back on.

this day last year was -14C !

A week before Christmas and your thinking of putting your summers on, now that's optimism.:D
    It's unseasonably mild at the moment but give it about 3 weeks and we are meant to be getting the bad weather.
    I am very happy with my winters and they are staying on until March.
    Have no problem with noise at all, Conti's by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Can someone recommend a garage that fits tyres you bring in in Dublin 9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Icepick wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a garage that fits tyres you bring in in Dublin 9?

I used DR Tyres in Cloghran a few times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

crystal_ball1.jpg

pic

he looks like he's orgasmning !

anyway - gonna leave the winters on the car and use another car until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

he looks like he's orgasmning !

anyway - gonna leave the winters on the car and use another car until further notice.
    I-jizz-in-my-pants-by-HOLIMOUNT.jpg?v0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Fitted GoodYear Ultragrip a few weeks ago. Had me sliding all over the road last night in eleven degree weather.Could corner at a fraction of the speed I can with my summer Bridgestone RE050s. Not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

Rodin wrote: »
    Fitted GoodYear Ultragrip a few weeks ago. Had me sliding all over the road last night in eleven degree weather.Could corner at a fraction of the speed I can with my summer Bridgestone RE050s. Not happy.

That's funny my nankangs are griping better than summers , I love them no matter if it's 16c out, u hate the summers I have "avoid cheap Chinese "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My Hankook Optimo 4S's seem to be performing fine despite the milder than expected weather - especially in all the rain we've had lately.. no problems at all.

nice to see the temperature drop again for the winters (come on snow !)

just looked at my tyres and saw that the front two winters are Dunlop and the rear 2 winters are Goodyears !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just make sure the ones with the least wear are on the back, and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

bdeithrick wrote: »
    That's funny my nankangs are griping better than summers , I love them no matter if it's 16c out, u hate the summers I have "avoid cheap Chinese "

same with my Nankangs

How many km's have you put on them? also it maybe one haing low pressure, have you checked since fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

haha thats weird i have Dunlop M3 winter sport on mine and they grip brillaintly equally as good as my Pirelli P-Zero (not nero or rosso just p-zero)

and seriously you think bridgestone RE050a are a good tyre :eek: they might be good in the dry but they are rubbish in the wet , nearly killed me in my old car in the wet had to get rid of them ,
    Goodyear Eagle F-1 Assymetric or continental sport contact 3 or 5 for the ultimate allround tyre

Pirelli P-Zero or michelin super sport if you have a particularly powerful car

and at those that laugh and say we got no snow , i dont care these tyres saved me going into a ditch 2 weeks ago one morning when the road was covered by a layer of black ice , i still skidded but regained control very quick , i know from experience if i had the summer tyres on i was fooked , although the road was stupid bad , loads of cars and even an ambulance ended up in ditches around Ennis it was mental , you couldnt actually walk on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Thought this might be of interest to this thread.
    No need for winter tyres says AA
    Athlone Advertiser, January 06, 2012.

By Claire O’Brien

The AA’s director of policy has poured cold water on a Westmeath county councillor’s suggestion that drivers should use winter or all-weather tyres.

Cllr Joe Flanagan told December’s budget meeting that drivers should take more responsibility for their own driving in bad weather, and using winter or all-weather tyres would cut down on gritting.

Cllr Flanagan, who works for a tyre company, said many people fit costly stereos and sat nav devices to their cars. “These particular gadgets cost a lot of money whereas the cost of upgrading your tyres might be a lot less and could increase your safety by about 100 per cent,” he said.

However, the AA’s Conor Faughnan is not an enthusiast of winter tyres here, as they are “expensive and disruptive and only of any use very rarely”.

“In a normal Irish winter those tyres will frequently be less effective than normal tyres,” he said. “It’s only in very severe and prolonged cold weather that winter tyres have a significant advantage.”

“However, when temperatures are higher than +5C or so, winter tyres are actually less effective than normal tyres,” he said.

He said many countries have regulations about winter tyres but these are countries that experience prolonged cold winters with very low ambient temperatures for many weeks. “2010 aside, Ireland is not like that,” he said.

He was also not in favour of Cllr Flanagan’s proposal that motorists be incentivized to have winter tyres, saying that a set costs about €700.

“For them to be supplied for all two million private cars in Ireland (even assuming that the industry could do so), would cost €1.4bn, not including storage.”

“Given that on average we only have a need for them for about one month every 35 years, this is not the best use of resources,” he added.

He said some drivers might favour the middle ground of all-weather tyres, but said he still wouldn’t support making their use compulsory.

He was also against an incentive scheme for any tyres.

‘”Government incentive’ is often a misused term and people seem to believe it involves something for free. In fact it is just another way of saying that all taxpayers should chip in and pay for my tyres.”

“Likewise insurance companies are not a resource to pay for things. All their money comes from motorists,” he concluded, saying they would be forced to pass on the cost to drivers.

“It is actually far more important for all of us to make sure that our ordinary tyres are well kept. They should be properly inflated, have a minimum of 3mm tread depth and should be checked regularly for damage and wear.”

“If we all did that, it would make a much more significant impact than if everyone invested in winter tyres.”

http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/48218/no-need-for-winter-tyres-says-aa

I'm sure conor is delighted with the amount of callout$ the AA have been getting during the bad weather over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

two vested interests talkin bollox :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone know any snow covered mountains around Dublin at the moment?...not looking promisin that we'll get snow so I'd like to try out my winter tyres in the snow.

Advertisement