Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Only noticed the other gobshiite works for a tyre company :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thread cleaned up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Hi all. Do any of you regret buying winter tyres or do you see it as a longer term solution? Will you be refitting them next winter?

Hi all. Do any of you regret buying winter tyres or do you see it as a longer term solution? Will you be refitting them next winter?

I removed your previous posts. Go troll elsewhere, first and final warning.

I removed your previous posts. Go troll elsewhere, first and final warning.

I rephrased my questions. I don't see how that post is against the charter.

• Advertisement

I rephrased my questions. I don't see how that post is against the charter.

Doesn't matter,go elsewhere.Please don't drag this thread anymore off topic

How are people finding braking performance in the warmer winter days?

Banned for 3 months for repeated trolling and ignoring mod directions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Cold snap predicted for week starting Monday, 16th Jan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0LNbbXVew
    @3m40s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Gimme those minutes back beazee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hi all. Do any of you regret buying winter tyres or do you see it as a longer term solution?
    I bought mine in November 2010 so at least I got a good run on them last winter. At the moment anyway, they are still a lot better than the all-season tyres I had on, they still have very little wear on them after being on for a total of 8 months and ~20,000kms. I would have had to replace my normal tyres by now anyway so I'm not at a loss really.
    Will you be refitting them next winter?

If I still have the same car, of course!

Bought mine on 09 and as a daily rate IT contractor at the time, they paid for themselves in about 3 days. Played it safe this time and changed over in Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Prepare yourself for Thursday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr_t63w1rwM (4:45)

My robin winked at me and flew around the brown bush at the end of my garden, i think he's giving me the snow signal. Better get the tinned soup in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Whats more is i was in tescos last night and there was a line of Robins out the door stocking up on fags and beer so the weather is turning for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Well, what's the thinking, is it time for the winters to come off.
    Happy I got them even though they didn't get a proper work out this winter, so who has changed them and who is putting it off for a while, think I'll give it another week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Meaning to take my off its just a case of when do I get the time to do it! I'm not happy I got them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Did it last week. Hopefully they'll get some action next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Meaning to take my off its just a case of when do I get the time to do it! I'm not happy I got them :(
    Hopefully swapping mine back tomorrow. I am glad I got them, they were lovely and grippy in the wet.
    As I recall earlier in the thread, most of the tyres claim to be optimal up to 8 degrees, and I noticed that this week driving during the day was a bit "softer" under braking and cornering so I've decided to change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Changed mine last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

nudger wrote: »
    Well, what's the thinking, is it time for the winters to come off.
    Happy I got them even though they didn't get a proper work out this winter, so who has changed them and who is putting it off for a while, think I'll give it another week or so.

I changed mine back to summer tyres at end of January.
    Generally driving on winter tyres at temperatures of 10 degrees doesn't make sense. Firstly they wear down really quick. Secondly they provide poor grip at that kind of temperatures. During February most days temperatures were above 8 degrees. I did about 500km on winter tyres at the end of January, and I changed them to summers as quick as I could, as they just didn't provide enough grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mine are coming off on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Changed the Nokians WRG2 yesterday, I will be replacing them with a set of Nokian H summer tyres very soon though.
    They have worn about 2mm over the 2 winters we have them. Nokian have a very handy wear gauge that has the mm in the tread, as they wear the numbers count down from 8mm-6mm-4mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Changed the Nokians WRG2 yesterday, I will be replacing them with a set of Nokian H summer tyres very soon though.
    They have worn about 2mm over the 2 winters we have them. Nokian have a very handy wear gauge that has the mm in the tread, as they wear the numbers count down from 8mm-6mm-4mm.

That's really clever, do other brands do it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

nudger wrote: »
    That's really clever, do other brands do it as well?
    Not sure this is the first time I have seen this kind of thing.
    It makes a lot of sense, its not just the wear indicator they also have a information field so you know where the tyres were fitted on the car and what pressure they should be at.
    I am really impressed with Nokian having had lots of other tyre brands before.
    http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=21638755&group=1.01&name=Nokian+All+Weather+%2B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

took my part worn off contintial winter contacts off this patricks wkend. might get 1 more winter off them

one of the mildest winters we've had.

starting to come around to the idea that the 'all weather' tires might be a better solution :confused:

Mine are still on, no need to take them off when the temp has only been slightly higher, bloody freezing out there.. brrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

hahah I was just coming in the door and thought to post 'anyone else glad they still have winter tyres on :eek:'

Damn you you beat me too it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

hahah I was just coming in the door and thought to post 'anyone else glad they still have winter tyres on :eek:'

Damn you you beat me too it :P

Lol, it was 0c the other night I was going to go into garage and reshod the horses with winters for a week or 2,
    Would not mind as may is my fav month for lovely weather

Anyway Eiretyres will have winter sale in next few months -10% I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Jeysas people must be mad to drive on winter tyres up to now.
    I know temp might have dropped below 5 one or two odd nights, but generally during the day it's more like 15 and sunny so driving on winters is worse that driving on cheap chineese ditchfinders :)
    I wouldn't fancy using winter tyres whenever average outside temperature is above zero degrees.

Advertisement