Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

CiniO wrote: »
    Jeysas people must be mad to drive on winter tyres up to now.
    I know temp might have dropped below 5 one or two odd nights, but generally during the day it's more like 15 and sunny so driving on winters is worse that driving on cheap chineese ditchfinders :)
    I wouldn't fancy using winter tyres whenever average outside temperature is above zero degrees.

a) what planet are you living on where its 15 and sunny ? I went out wering a ski jacket today and was still cold

b) good winter tyres are still good tyres above their best temperature range

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

a) what planet are you living on where its 15 and sunny ? I went out wering a ski jacket today and was still cold
    Today I was driving back from work and my car thermometer showed 13 degrees outside temperature. Few days ago it was 15.
    It's sunny for nearly a week now.
    Come for a visit to Mayo if you don't believe ;)
    b) good winter tyres are still good tyres above their best temperature range
    So it just means that I never had a good winter tyres yet (even though I went throught more than 10 sets on different cars over the years) as they always seemed to loose plenty of traction whenever it got wormer. My current tyres at end of January at 12 degrees were unacceptable for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

winter tyres are better for handling the wet weather also, esp when there is sh*te on the road e.g. tree mulch like where i live, so I'm happy.. I agree when it hits 15c they get a bit pasty but common sense will tell you not to push on with them on at that speed.

Looking forward to the eiretyres winter sale myself.. so dont mind them wearing down a bit more, have them three years now and still about 5mm on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

JJJJNR wrote: »
    winter tyres are better for handling the wet weather also, esp when there is sh*te on the road e.g. tree mulch like where i live, so I'm happy.. I agree when it hits 15c they get a bit pasty but common sense will tell you not to push on with them on at that speed.

Looking forward to the eiretyres winter sale myself.. so dont mind them wearing down a bit more, have them three years now and still about 5mm on.

Keeping an eye on Eiretyres, my own (part worns) are done and I want to buy decent new ones now that I have the rims. Do you know when they have the sale on the winter tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

Keeping an eye on Eiretyres, my own (part worns) are done and I want to buy decent new ones now that I have the rims. Do you know when they have the sale on the winter tyres?[/Quote]

It's the middle of summer it's should be on now , but maybe they were raped of stock and have non to sell off cheap, by the way they dont do cheap, they have a 3% discount a month ago , (big swing)
    I did see 10% 2 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Looking at getting a pair myself now, I see the WinterContacts I want are still the same price as they were in Jan.. Two years ago they were 100euros each.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Was there even a need in winter tyres last year? Are we expecting shot sto this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

What about the rain last "winter"??

I had winter tyres on and they just tore through standing water!

Steering kept it's feel almost as if the roads were just damp:)

Theyre in storage now.but theyll be back on mid-october.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Can't remember winter tyres being extra good in rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Can't remember winter tyres being extra good in rain...

The size of the grooves on the tyres i have are a hellv of alot deeper than a normal summer tyre.

I dont know if theyre designed to throw off water as good,but i found them a big improvement over the turanza er300 in really heavy rain or puddles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Looking at getting a pair myself now, I see the WinterContacts I want are still the same price as they were in Jan.. Two years ago they were 100euros each.

For what it's worth and I know that we had a mild winter, there a great tyre, didn't take them off until April.
    I pushed a bit harder in bad weather than I would normally and they never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

nudger wrote: »
    For what it's worth and I know that we had a mild winter, there a great tyre, didn't take them off until April.
    I pushed a bit harder in bad weather than I would normally and they never let me down.

agreed....I had my winters on from about nov-feb and still have my record drive home on them...that's before the remap though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

bdeithrick wrote: »
    Keeping an eye on Eiretyres, my own (part worns) are done and I want to buy decent new ones now that I have the rims. Do you know when they have the sale on the winter tyres?

It's the middle of summer it's should be on now , but maybe they were raped of stock and have non to sell off cheap, by the way they dont do cheap, they have a 3% discount a month ago , (big swing)
    I did see 10% 2 years ago[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Are winter tyres any good for ice/black ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RAFA B wrote: »

They would make very slight difference comparing to summer tyres.

For ice/blackice best you can have is studded tyres, but I think they are illegal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Only tyres that may be any good for ice are studded ones which aren't good for dry roads or high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Winter tyres are actually very good for properly frozen ice, it's the stuff with a film of water on it that's treacherous for any non-studded tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

There is a huge difference. Here is an example of performance of summer/all season/studless winter tyres on perfect ice:

( in case the embed does not work: http://youtu.be/GlYEMH10Z4s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Yep they help alot.

Think of it like they work in a temperature range.

Summer 10 degrees and up
    Winter ten degrees and below.
    All weather split the 2.

Summer tires will go to hard and inflexible to work in low temperatures
    Winter will overheat in the higher temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

For ice/blackice best you can have is studded tyres, but I think they are illegal in Ireland.
    There's no mention about them in regulations, so they're 100% legal. :p
    They would make very slight difference comparing to summer tyres.
    That's right. :)

Anyway, nothing would be better than wise driving. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement