Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Anan1 wrote: »
    Here are two i'd be looking at in your size: http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/car-tyres-CONTINENTAL/CONTI-WINTERCONTACT,TS,830/205,55,R16,91,T.html, http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/car-tyres-MICHELIN/ALPIN,A4/205,55,R16,91,T.html . By the way, have you checked what load rating you need? It's the last number on the tyre size, ie 91T/94/98.

just checked now - currently on 91V at the front (H at the back), but routinely the fronts are moved to the back after 6 months and new ones put on the front...........so what should I get? (thanks for the input btw!):)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

cjmcork wrote: »
    just checked now - currently on 91V at the front (H at the back), but routinely the fronts are moved to the back after 6 months and new ones put on the front...........so what should I get? (thanks for the input btw!):)

91 is the load index.

T, H or V are speed indexes.
    With most winter tyres you'll get T index (190km/h) so remember not to exceed that speed.

CiniO wrote: »
    91 is the load index.

T, H or V are speed indexes.
    With most winter tyres you'll get T index (190km/h) so remember not to exceed that speed.

are ya having a laugh - I'd never commit a crime by breaking the speed limit! :D

are ya having a laugh - I'd never commit a crime by breaking the speed limit! :D

As all of us here ;)
    :pac:

PS - even if you do forget, and go over - don't worry. Nothing should happened. I check it, as I forgot once, and kept over 200km/h for over 15 minutes on tyres with T speed index. And I'm still here writing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

what decent brands would folks recommend - I don't mind spending a chunk of money on these as they'll hopefully save me from walloping the car off a wall

Nokian Entyre are a good all weather tyre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In that case, i'd be happy to recommend the Michelin Alpin A4. It's the only winter tyre I have direct experience of, and i'm very happy with them. Mine are a slightly larger size and load rating(215/55 R16H, 98 load), and they're H rated for speed, but I think I paid around €150ea for mine - this seems to make the ones I posted for you good value at €120ea. From memory, the TS830 also did very well in the tests. Ditto for the Dunlop WinterSport 3D, which is the same price: http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/car-tyres-DUNLOP/SP,WINTER,SPORT,3D/205,55,R16,91,H,MFS.html ANd here's a new one, the Dunlop WInterSport 4D: http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/car-tyres-DUNLOP/SP,WINTER,SPORT,4D/205,55,R16,91,H.html Presumably an evolution of the 3D, it's only a fiver a corner more and it's H rated for speed. Just to be sure, i'd check the load rating for your car in the handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Anyone have any experience or opinions on these: Kumho KW23 or Falken HS-439?

Or is there any other better 195/60/15 tyres at around that price? List from eiretyres here. Won't be doing many miles on them, so I don't want to be spending too much.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on these: Kumho KW23 or Falken HS-439?

Or is there any other better 195/60/15 tyres at around that price? List from eiretyres here. Won't be doing many miles on them, so I don't want to be spending too much.

Within this price range, I would definitely prefer Debica Frigo 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

CiniO wrote: »
    Within this price range, I would definitely prefer Debica Frigo 2.

They were actually another tyre I was considering, but I left them out because they weren't as 'well known' as the other two brands.:pac: They seem to get fairly good reviews anyway, so I'll check them out a bit more thoroughly. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

My wife’s car does about 10,000 miles per year and needs 4 new tyres soon.
    She rarely goes over 50/60 mph.
    I want her to have good tyres for her winter commute to work, but we don't want to be buying / swapping over etc. etc. during the snow.
    Would 4 fairly good all weather tyres instead of 4 winters be fairly ok for this winter and driving on the rest of the year ?
    Any recommendations ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Hiace. wrote: »
    I want her to have good tyres for her winter commute to work, but we don't want to be buying / swapping over etc. etc. during the snow.
    Would 4 fairly good all weather tyres instead of 4 winters be fairly ok for this winter and driving on the rest of the year ?
    Any recommendations ?

New ordinary tyres would be better than bald ones of course. But as good as actual winter tyres? certainly not
    Winter tyres are not good for driving all year round though so to do it properly you'll have to get winter tyres then swap back over

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    New ordinary tyres would be better than bald ones of course. But as good as actual winter tyres? certainly not
    Winter tyres are not good for driving all year round though so to do it properly you'll have to get winter tyres then swap back over

Read my post again. Slowly.
    Of course they would not be as good as winter tyres, I'm asking about all season tyres, I'm looking at the all season tyre compromise alternative to the summer / winter tyres changeover and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Read my post again.
    Of course they would not be as good as winter tyres, I'm asking about all season tyres, I'm looking at the all season tyre compromise alternative to the summer / winter tyres changeover and back.

Better off just to buy winter tyres and use em all year. The all seasons won't give you great winter performance. The right winter tyres will not be too bad in the summer - lets face it the Irish summer qualifies as winter in many places - tyres like dunlop wintersport 3d are supposed to be good in the wet as well as the snow (I should day I've not tried them myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I had All Season's during the last few winters and they were no better than Summers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Any recommendations ?

I did quite a lot of research in this area as like you I only do 15k miles per year and don't drive hard.In the end I opted for a second set of steels and winter tyres, as I got a good deal and also have the space to store the extra set.However if I hadn't the space a didn't want the hassle of the change overs I would shortlist these all season tyres and run them all year. The key thing about this lot are that they are all snowflake and mountain rated, so qualify as suitable for winter. Sure they will never be up there with pure winters, but seem to be well regarded as a good alternative for all year driving, with an leaning to winter conditions. Could be a very good choice for Ireand, considering we don't get high temperatures in summer. anyway here they are...

Nokian WR G2 (marketed as a winter tyre in the EU,but as and all season in the US/Canada)
    Vredestein Qautrac 3 (pretty good reviews)
    Bridgestone A001 (fairly new tyre on the market)
    Hankook Optimo 4S (top test results)
    Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons (top test results)
    Kleber Quadraxer (fairly new tyre on the market)

Of course there are other all weathers on the market,but these are the only ones I've found that are mountain and snowflake marked.I'd say you will have to source them online, as I had no real luck locally when pricing them.Eiretyres seemed to have most of them.Hope this helps you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Read my post again. Slowly.

The answer is still there. There is no such thing as a truly proficient jack of all trades tyre. The proper thing to do is buy winter tyres and change back to ordinary tyres when the weather improves. You should be able to keep the winter tyres until next year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

I'm in a similar situation but I have to stick with R17's to clear my brake calipers. (I also have a second set of 17" wheels in the shed luckily)

Would it be ok to change dimensions to say 205/50/R17 though, instead of 225/45/R17?

Bump.

gooner99 wrote: »
    I did quite a lot of research in this area as like you I only do 15k miles per year and don't drive hard.In the end I opted for a second set of steels and winter tyres, as I got a good deal and also have the space to store the extra set.However if I hadn't the space a didn't want the hassle of the change overs I would shortlist these all season tyres and run them all year. The key thing about this lot are that they are all snowflake and mountain rated, so qualify as suitable for winter. Sure they will never be up there with pure winters, but seem to be well regarded as a good alternative for all year driving, with an leaning to winter conditions. Could be a very good choice for Ireand, considering we don't get high temperatures in summer. anyway here they are...

Nokian WR G2 (marketed as a winter tyre in the EU,but as and all season in the US/Canada)
    Vredestein Qautrac 3 (pretty good reviews)
    Bridgestone A001 (fairly new tyre on the market)
    Hankook Optimo 4S (top test results)
    Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons (top test results)
    Kleber Quadraxer (fairly new tyre on the market)

Of course there are other all weathers on the market,but these are the only ones I've found that are mountain and snowflake marked.I'd say you will have to source them online, as I had no real luck locally when pricing them.Eiretyres seemed to have most of them.Hope this helps you out.

Great, thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks for that mate.

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    The answer is still there. There is no such thing as a truly proficient jack of all trades tyre. The proper thing to do is buy winter tyres and change back to ordinary tyres when the weather improves. You should be able to keep the winter tyres until next year also.

Exactly, every set up is always a compromise in some area, and that set up compromises time and money.
    The benefit is also lost if you go to change the car, unless you buy a car that uses the same tyres / rims set up.
    I already run that set up on my main driver, but this is a low mileage second car and not worth that, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Exactly, every set up is always a compromise in some area, and that set up compromises time and money.
    The benefit is also lost if you go to change the car, unless you buy a car that uses the same tyres / rims set up.
    I already run that set up on my main driver, but this is a low mileage second car and not worth that, in my opinion.

I found www.camskill.co.uk seem to price very favourably incl post to here, I just have to keep an eye on there stock as I'm strongly considering quatrac 3's for my primera T-spec on a set of 16 steelies.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I found www.camskill.co.uk seem to price very favourably incl post to here, I just have to keep an eye on there stock as I'm strongly considering quatrac 3's for my primera T-spec on a set of 16 steelies.....
    The quatracs aren't brilliant in the snow...check out the Autoexpress Winter Tyre Test.

ah lads, this is tough, I've it down to the Continental Winter Contacts (€513 for 4), the Dunlop Sp Sport 3d or 4d (€450)OR the Michelin Alpina A4s (€480)...................going to order by the end of the week :confused:

anyone that has had any bad experience with these, speak now or forever hold it (your peace, that is)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How much can we expect these to go up by over the next month?I drive a RWD car and start work at 5am most days so I'm gonna be needing a set over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

FWD drive cars in the city don't need winter tyres. Easy with them. My main car is rwd too, so I'm reading through this for an idea or two, but at city speeds rwd on ordinary tyres ain't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Any recommendations ?

You can get good All Season tyres but they are rare on our market. In fact I do not think you can buy them unless you go online.
    Check out the Goodyear Vector 4 and the Hankook Optimo 4s. These are the two that I know of and I have a years experience with the latter on my car now.

They will not be as good as full Winter tyres in the snow and ice. With that said they do work in the right temp range which is what the main thrust of the argument is about for Winter spec tyres. Again they may not stick as much as the winters to cold dry roads but I have never reached the limit of them in those conditions. Driving with sense and care I never slipped or got stuck in the snow and compacted icy snow with them on so I do think that there are at least two models of All Seasons out there that can give certain drivers under certain circumstances a safe tyre that does not need to be switched when it gets warmer. I did push the car a bit to see where the line was and to be fair, it took a while to cross it when you consider how careful you generally have to be in those conditions. No winter spec tyre gives you the comfort to drive like you normally would in the snow so with the care needed I feel the AS tyres I have to be a very good.

I generally didnt have the need to go off main roads with only local regional roads being used.

To answer your question concisely, in my opinion and experience there are very good all seasons options out there if you have a certain use in mind. They are rare, in small numbers on our market and in any market from what I research but they are there.

This year round my snow capabilities will be lessened with less tread but the important thing for me, the temperature range is still there.

Tread wear wise, they wear less then my old Cooper Xeon XTC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ah lads, this is tough, I've it down to the Continental Winter Contacts (€513 for 4), the Dunlop Sp Sport 3d or 4d (€450)OR the Michelin Alpina A4s (€480)...................going to order by the end of the week :confused:

anyone that has had any bad experience with these, speak now or forever hold it (your peace, that is)!!!

Had a driver on Conti Winter Contacts last year (currently sitting in the garage waiting to go back on this coming winter) and he had nothing but good things to say about them.

He was getting places his brother in law's Range Rover couldn't get - but they were on an A4 quattro.

FWD drive cars in the city don't need winter tyres. Easy with them. My main car is rwd too, so I'm reading through this for an idea or two, but at city speeds rwd on ordinary tyres ain't too bad.
    You honestly think you can drive safely at 50km/h on snow/ice/slush on summer tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Anan1 wrote: »
    You honestly think you can drive safely at 50km/h on snow/ice/slush on summer tyres?

What did you do before you bought winter tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

BostonB wrote: »

Crashed....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    In snow & ice? Either stayed at home or went out and p1ssed people with the correct tyres off by crawling along in front of them.;)

Advertisement