Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mega Winter Tyres thread, all questions here!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Right I'm still in a bit of a dilemma......

I've watched the videos and read the reviews etc... but how much of a difference will the winters actually make to my 335 automatic?

For example, I know a lad who had a 335 last year and he couldn't actually get his car moving because of a combination of things (summer tyres, automatic gearbox etc...). There isn't much point in me having nice shiny new winter tyres on my car if it isn't going to even get going!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Shane732 wrote: »

I've watched the videos and read the reviews etc... but how much of a difference will the winters actually make to my 335 automatic?

For example, I know a lad who had a 335 last year and he couldn't actually get his car moving because of a combination of things (summer tyres, automatic gearbox etc...). There isn't much point in me having nice shiny new winter tyres on my car if it isn't going to even get going!
    They'll make a world of a difference. I've a Subaru Forester AWD, and I can honestly say that the winter tyres made more difference than the AWD. By the way, BMW were doing very good offers on winter wheel & tyre sets last year - 4x 16" alloys on continental RFT winters for €890. Your car might need 17"s to cover the brakes, but it's still worth asking. Your only problem on winters should be ground clearance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

me too,price aswell?

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

have seen people talking here about getting different sizes to their summer tyres, why is this?? my tyres are 165 70 14 so should i be getting this size or is it better to get a size up or down???

bungaro79 wrote: »
    have seen people talking here about getting different sizes to their summer tyres, why is this?? my tyres are 165 70 14 so should i be getting this size or is it better to get a size up or down???
    You'll be fine on that size. People on very big rims with low profile tyres tend to go to smaller wheels with higher sidewalls for better comfort on bad winter roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

prices of winter tyres has gone up online:(:(:(
    been by 4 tyre places... only 1 planning on stocking and gave a price 100euro for maxtreks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

bungaro79 wrote: »

It's really only an issue when your regular tyres are of a lower profile like in the 40 - 50 region on say 17" or 18". In that case you might drop to 16" & get a higher profile like 60 or whatever. Id hazard a guess it would be a straight swop with yours, though im open to correction on that!

Edit, anan1 got there first, i need to type faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Shane732 wrote: »

Youtube 335i or M3 on Winter tyres. Then compare and contrast at the retarded E46 M3 in Winter in Ireland video and question why people are so thick (sits spinning it in a carpark, as the driver and video taker assume thats all a RWD can do in winter).

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

PauloMN wrote: »
    Done!

Me three too , please? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Youtube 335i or M3 on Winter tyres. Then compare and contrast at the retarded E46 M3 in Winter in Ireland video and question why people are so thick (sits spinning it in a carpark, as the driver and video taker assume thats all a RWD can do in winter).

Thanking you kindly....

What winter tyres are you running?

Which should I go for:

Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 2
    Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 4D
    Continental WinterContact TS 830P
    Pirelli W 210 Sottozero S2
    Vredestein Wintrac xtreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Winter tyres arrived today....they feel a lot more rubbery than Summer tyres....bring on the snow now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

fletch wrote: »
    Winter tyres arrived today....they feel a lot more rubbery than Summer tyres....bring on the snow now! :)

did you buy a spare - not sure if I should have bought a fifth tyre.........just in case???

cjmcork wrote: »
    did you buy a spare - not sure if I should have bought a fifth tyre.........just in case???
    No just 4...never really thought about getting a spare.

fletch wrote: »
    No just 4...never really thought about getting a spare.

yeah, starting to think it may not be any harm to have an ole spare in the shed!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

cjmcork wrote: »
    yeah, starting to think it may not be any harm to have an ole spare in the shed!:D

Are you sure that is enough, I mean you might need a spare spare for the spare.
    I wish I was your supplier, I could re-tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

You must have money to burn, 4 is enough.

Hope you get to use them especially in the munster region! Fare play for getting yourselves sorted early.

Agent_47 wrote: »
    You must have money to burn, 4 is enough.

Hope you get to use them especially in the munster region! Fare play for getting yourselves sorted early.

well, I drive about 800 - 1,000 kms per week, so I think I'll the wear out of them :D

It's still very early to be switching to winters, mine probably won't go on until the 1st November.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

sentient_6 wrote: »
    It's really only an issue when your regular tyres are of a lower profile like in the 40 - 50 region on say 17" or 18". In that case you might drop to 16" & get a higher profile like 60 or whatever. Id hazard a guess it would be a straight swop with yours, though im open to correction on that!

Edit, anan1 got there first, i need to type faster!

when you say its an issue do you mean just in terms of comfort or will you have less grip or something if having winter tyres in that region. My wheels are 225/45 17 and was considering getting winter tyres to swap onto my current rims.

when you say its an issue do you mean just in terms of comfort or will you have less grip or something if having winter tyres in that region. My wheels are 225/45 17 and was considering getting winter tyres to swap onto my current rims.

Both i think. Read somewhere before that a higher profile & thinner tyre will have better grip in snow. Thats just what i've read i have no expertise to back it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Both i think. Read somewhere before that a higher profile & thinner tyre will have better grip in snow. Thats just what i've read i have no expertise to back it up!

I would imagine that this would have been said of summer tyres on snow.winters in all sizes should be good.

gooner99 wrote: »
    I would imagine that this would have been said of summer tyres on snow.winters in all sizes should be good.

Well ya id imagine winters in any shape or form would still be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

Interesting article on buying steel wheels for winters vs changing tyres on rims

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-tips/maintenance-and-repairs/is-it-worth-putting-steel-wheels-on-your-winter-tires/article1431469/
    Sol, great question and perfect timing considering the driving conditions out there.

I know that it seems every time you turn around, someone in the car business seems to have it in for the lining of our pockets, but this is one time that‘s legit.

I should start out by saying that I have spent the money and bought steel wheels myself so I completely agree with James' statement of purchasing four winter tires. Being a water-skier, I thought his comparisons of buying two winter tires is like trying to waterski with one waterski and a Croc, was bang on...never mind hilarious - ‘cause I wear Crocs also!

My rationale for the wheel purchase actually builds on the story that James posted. I had two reasons for buying extra wheels:

I had just spent $800 on a set of four winter tires. I don't like to use the “snow tire” any longer as winter extremes mean different things to different people at different locations across Canada, and the manufacturing technology has advanced so much that slapping one label on them just doesn't feel right to me. So, having dropped the better part of a grand on rubber, I wanted to protect this investment. Understand that mounting tires on any wheel is very stressful on the bead and sidewall. The process of mounting and un-mounting creates the risk of tearing the bead and possible sidewall distortion. I wanted to keep this to a minimum so the only answer was to mount them once.

Like most cars, mine has aluminum wheels. I like my car and I plan on keeping it for many years. Unfortunately, road salt likes aluminum wheels also and does its best to transform them into a white crumbly mess. The best and surest way to protect them is to take them off for the winter.

During this mulling over process, the decision was clear and self evident – buy a second set of wheels, and the most economical way to go is to buy “take-offs.” They are wheels that used to be a spare inside someone's trunk. The best selection and cheapest prices are found at auto recyclers, so you will be putting up with used and sometimes a little rust. Sol, if you decide to go this route, and you find rust, make sure you clean it off with a wire brush or Naval Jelly. This works great at dissolving rust. Another option is to hit up an auto supply store. Many of the large retail chains sell new take-offs. Some will sell you tires and still others will put together wheel and tire packages.

From my perspective this is cheap insurance so for me, it was definitely worth the expense. $70 steel wheels are a lot cheaper than $400 aluminum ones.

Sol, after I went with the second set of wheels something else happened; it was easier for me to switch over my summers for winters. I can do it myself in my own garage - no waiting in line-ups at the local tire store, and I know this hassle makes a lot of people procrastinate in switching over their tires.

If you decide to take this route (which I strongly recommend), when it comes time to store your winter tires, try to keep them out of the sun, ideally in a basement, and remove about half of the pressure. This takes unnecessary stress off the tires when they are not being used.

Besides, each spring when you get to put your aluminum shod summers (or all-seasons) back on, it will feel like you're driving a new car again.

Thanks for that....never thought of dropping the pressures while storing. I just went out and tried on one of the steelies as I was a little worried it wouldn't fit over the brake calipers on the front but it's all good. Guarantee it doesn't snow this year! :)

I don't understand why people go off buying two steel rims, instead of one, when they've most likely got an excellent unused one lying in the boot.

Also many people forget about the likely unused high quality summer tyre they have in the boot as well.

Just find it's match on line, and hey presto, you have also got a pair of quality summer tyres for the other 3/4 of the year.

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's still very early to be switching to winters, mine probably won't go on until the 1st November.

Depends very much on your personal set up / mileage.
    On one hand, if you have the spare rim set up you can switch em when you need em.

On the other hand, Winters work better in all conditions less than 7 deg C.
    And rumour has it snow is expected in Oct. this year, and trying to get winter tyres when the snow arrives will be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

its 20c out today no way am i switching to winter tires, not today anyway ... :cool:

Hiace. wrote: »
    Depends very much on your personal set up / mileage.
    On one hand, if you have the spare rim set up you can switch em when you need em.

On the other hand, Winters work better in all conditions less than 7 deg C.
    And rumour has it snow is expected in Oct. this year, and trying to get winter tyres when the snow arrives will be fun.
    Fair point. I'd certainly buy them now, but I wouldn't fit them until it got a lot colder.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Fair point. I'd certainly buy them now, but I wouldn't fit them until it got a lot colder.

likewise, I'd rather have them stored up for the winter than be trying to buy them come week 1 november :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

max_r15_alaska_sndc.jpg

Ordered a set of these today for when the winter comes :D
    Not e marked or road legal but advised by a WRC mechanic they'll do a far better job :)

Advertisement