Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping to Sydney

Options
  • 13-08-2011 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Sorry if this is repeating threads but can't seem to find what i'm looking for in what's already there...

Moving to Oz at the end of September but travelling for a bit first. Will probably try to find a job similar to here when I get to Sydney so would like to bring my laptop, work clothes and some slightly heavier clothes for the winter as well (for me and my OH).

I have a large suitcase and have been thinking about trying to ship that to Sydney before I arrive and then just bringing a light backpack travelling with me.

So, just wondering, has anybody done this before? Did it work out okay/ did you have any trouble with customs/ import taxes and does anyone have any recommendations of a good shipping company to use?

Thanks a mill for any tips :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

If you dont have to bring it. Dont.

It costs more to get it off the ship than it does to get it from Ireland to Australia.

I got stung. 800 euro for 7 boxes from Dublin to Sydney.

1500 euros to get it cleared.

Not worth it. Rebuy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CaptainOats

Thanks Jumpy,

Do you think that this applies across the board even if you shipped by air/ by different carrier?

I'm just wondering because it would only be one case and if I paid lets say €250ish to get it shipped and €250ish in taxes that would prob be okay as the value of the items would exceed that (incl. the laptop)...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Svenright

im moving to sydney soon also and im trying to bring as little as possible with me. After seeing that it costs 1500 quid to clear it im starting to think its not worth the effort, even if work are paying for it...Extra 10kg baggage allowance costs about $300 with quantas, however if u plan on traveling home any time in the first 12 months, check out the quantas club. U get an extra 10kg's baggage allowance and access to there lounges across the world and internally in Oz...( free booze & free food! ) just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I used An Post and sent over a 20 kilo cardboard box for 140 last year, just clothes and laptop - no hassle at all
    looked into loads of shipping places and couldn't believe An Post to be the cheapest!!
    Just posted straight to me house no hassle with customs either, they opened it and taped it back up with security tap and sent it on.
    Took 2 to 3 weeks only things is they will only insure it up to 300. This was last November so maybe some changes since then but i wouldn't imagine anything major

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CaptainOats

Thanks for the advice guys! An Post sounds like the business Karl, just wondering did you get charged any sort of customs fees in Oz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

like i said man they opened mine and taped it back up with security tape and no problems or charge and i had a PS3 and laptop in there with clothes.

I get a lot of stuff from JD sports in the UK cause shipping for anything is 13 pound and the stuff is so much cheaper and they have been opened by customs as well and just sent on with no charge either.

Im not sure how the charges work or what they are for maybe someone on here can shed some light on it :D

Advertisement