Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with wiring a light switch

• 13-08-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've put a double fluorescent light in the garage this morning and this is where I'm at with the switch,

170591.jpg

I have a single switch with com & L1 and wondering what goes where?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Connect the two blue wires together using a connector.

Connect the two Yellow/Green wires together using another connector.

(Tapes these separately using insulating tape.)

Connect the brown from the fuseboard to "COM"

Connect the brown from the light to "L1"

Fit Switch to Box.

Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Inside a switch box there is no need for insulating tape on connectors, and it actually makes it look like a makeshift job. just my opinion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Inside a switch box there is no need for insulating tape on connectors, and it actually makes it look like a makeshift job. just my opinion though.

I agree and if I was doing this job myself I wouldn't use them. But if not using them, it is important that the connections are made neatly and no bits of conductor exposed, and also that the connectors are positioned properly before refitting the switch.

I dont think its too bad using the connectors, i just think they are better not being taped up in switch boxes. Even in areas where dampness got in, tape makes it worse by trapping moisture. Its the tape i think makes it look like a diy job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 kaylen.

I dont think its too bad using the connectors, i just think they are better not being taped up in switch boxes. Even in areas where dampness got in, tape makes it worse by trapping moisture. Its the tape i think makes it look like a diy job.

Tape makes it look like a diy job? can you explain that?
    Surely just using some tape to make the connection extra secure isnt a problem.

kaylen. wrote: »
    Tape makes it look like a diy job? can you explain that?
    Surely just using some tape to make the connection extra secure isnt a problem.

Well as i said, its just my opinion. But i often see connectors inside switch boxes which is often done in wiring houses, but have not seen many wrapped inside tape in this situation. I just think it makes it look really like a makeshift job, again, in my opinion only.

2 connectors in the switch box can be made to look neat enough, but then wrapping in tape does little to make them more secure once they are properly connected.

The switch terminals themselves are not covered in tape after connecting them. Why wrap the Neutral and Earth connections in tape inside the security of a switch box?

In ceiling spaces for connecting downlighters etc, oboe boxes should be used, with connectors in them, and again, no tape needed.

If there was any problem in an installation, it would be harder to trace, and fix, if every connector inside switch boxes is wrapped in tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kaylen.

2 connectors in the switch box can be made to look neat enough, but then wrapping in tape does little to make them more secure once they are properly connected.

The switch terminals themselves are not covered in tape after connecting them. Why wrap the Neutral and Earth connections in tape inside the security of a switch box?

I do agree with you but having noted that the OP is not an electrician and was not to sure in how to connect the switch I just assumed that wrapping the two connections in tape would be the best option for him just incase of a loose connection .

kaylen. wrote: »
    I do agree with you but having noted that the OP is not an electrician and was not to sure in how to connect the switch I just assumed that wrapping the two connections in tape would be the best option for him just incase of a loose connection .

Im not sayin its wrong to use it, but i definitely seen how they trap moisture in some situations, outside lights etc, and in switch boxes they can make the connectors more bulky and a tighter fit, and harder to find problems.

But if the OP has a loose connection after doing the switch, tape may hold it in position alright, possibly even making the bad connection burn longer if it starts to fail, and so go un-noticed longer, but good connections are needed in any situation anyway, most of which would not depend on tape.

Advertisement