Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in south side

Options
  • 13-08-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, starting to look for accommodation for work starting September. Wondering what areas people would recommend? Will be working in Douglas. Was thinking Mount oval/ Maryborough/ Frankfield or Grange? What do people think esp considering we're supposed to be having a bad winter- not sure how confident I'd be driving up some of those hills! Anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

What part of Douglas will you be working in? Maryborogh is all hill anyway for a start. Grange and Frankfield are walking distance to Douglas village.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Will be working on the main Douglas rd. Will be doing some shift work so prob will be driving to and from work most of the time especially if I'm working late. Parking shouldn't be a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What part of Douglas will you be working in? Maryborogh is all hill anyway for a start. Grange and Frankfield are walking distance to Douglas village.

Maryborough is not 'all hill'. Maryborough Estate is as flat as a pancake and is a stones throw from the village.
    Granted as the name goes, Maryborough Hill is as it says. I live up on the top of it and have been now for the last 16 years.
    There has been ice, snow etc., all in that time. It never stopped me from driving, granted not necessarily on that particular hill, but I always got to my destination in one piece.
    Grange and Frankfield are on hills, the top of Maryborough Hill is as close to Douglas as Grange or Frankfield.
    Bear in mind there are 356 days in a year, maybe 14 or so of these days have that type of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ballinlough is close enough to the city and not too far from where you will be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

kub wrote: »
    Maryborough is not 'all hill'. Maryborough Estate is as flat as a pancake and is a stones throw from the village.
    Granted as the name goes, Maryborough Hill is as it says. I live up on the top of it and have been now for the last 16 years.
    There has been ice, snow etc., all in that time. It never stopped me from driving, granted not necessarily on that particular hill, but I always got to my destination in one piece.
    Grange and Frankfield are on hills, the top of Maryborough Hill is as close to Douglas as Grange or Frankfield.
    Bear in mind there are 356 days in a year, maybe 14 or so of these days have that type of weather.

Fine, but there's still a lot of hill. Donnybrook Hill that takes you to Grange and Frankfield is shorter and less steep. Anyway, the hills are nothing to get too worried about anyway. You could just live on the Douglas Road, it's mostly residential and there's lots of good housing estates off of it. You could just walk to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement