Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non Irish company has .ie domain entitlement?

Options
  • 13-08-2011 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

i have noticed that a non Irish company, has a .ie domain ( name of my company) their company name is entirely different from the .ie domain that they have, however it is the .ie domain name that i want to use for my company, as it would be exactly eg mycompanyname.ie

i know there is a dispute resolution method with IEDR, however there are costs associated with this,

any suggestions?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Unfortunately you haven't a hope of appealing under these grounds. If the IEDR has given it to them then it's because they have proved they are entitled to it. To be entitled to a domain all you need to prove is there is a business name registered or a relationship between your business name and the domain, plus a relationship to Ireland.

Ps. cost of appealing to the EU is about 25k I believe once you factor in lawyer costs, but could be corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

Unfortunately you haven't a hope of appealing under these grounds. If the IEDR has given it to them then it's because they have proved they are entitled to it. To be entitled to a domain all you need to prove is there is a business name registered or a relationship between your business name and the domain, plus a relationship to Ireland.

Ps. cost of appealing to the EU is about 25k I believe once you factor in lawyer costs, but could be corrected.

the company in question have no RBN, or LTD company in Ireland, nor have they any office or locations in Ireland!

its more like 4 to 5 k.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you go to the menu above and click on Biz..Talk to and go to Blacknight. You could ask them, they are a domain and hosting company based in Ireland. Michele who runs it will be able to tell you what case if any you have and if its worth trying to appeal it. Hes regularly on here to so he might see this thread either.

LH2011 wrote: »
    the company in question have no RBN, or LTD company in Ireland, nor have they any office or locations in Ireland!

They dont need any of the above to have a legitimate claim to the domain.
    LH2011 wrote: »
    its more like 4 to 5 k.

Depends on hope much your lawyers cost i guess. Still probably a waste since they are unlikely to take the companies domain and give it to you. Better off finding a new domain and investing it in an proper SEO guy to out rank them on search engines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They dont need any of the above to have a legitimate claim to the domain.

They were requested when I registered a domain for a company, and wouldn't allocate us the domain until it was provided, along with a letterhead explaining why they required the domain.

As a foreign company they can submit their UK business registration credentials, why they have a relationship with Ireland (ie that they want to sell into Ireland) and company letter head.

It's common enough practice when starting off a business to protect the potential avenues to expansion and also to buy domains to stop businesses who parasite from your name and reputation. Having had it happen to me several times before it's something that i advise everyone to do.

Lately I had to register 36 domains to protect a business that we haven't 100% committed to investing in yet. But if we do, not having those domains would be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The IE dispute resolution process is handled by WIPO.
    Basic details are here:
    http://iedr.ie/index.php/mnudisres/mnuexnotes
    Fees are here: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/fees/cctlds/ie/index.html

(it's 1500 - 2000 euro depending on the number of panelists - most people would opt for one)

You'd have to factor in your own legal costs on top of that if you aren't confident doing it without assistance (you *could* do it by yourself, but I'd recommend you have a read over previous cases to see the amount of detail you need to provide)

The rules are here: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/rules/ie.html

@Ronan - what has the EU got to do with .ie disputes???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Axwell wrote: »
    If you go to the menu above and click on Biz..Talk to and go to Blacknight. You could ask them, they are a domain and hosting company based in Ireland. Michele who runs it will be able to tell you what case if any you have and if its worth trying to appeal it. Hes regularly on here to so he might see this thread either.

/me waves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

If they have a European trademark they are also entitled to a .ie domain name.

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    The rules are here: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/rules/ie.html

@Ronan - what has the EU got to do with .ie disputes???

Sorry was thinking of WIPO, because they are based in Switzerland.

they dont have offices in the uk either.

they have registered a load of the name related domains, and apparently have recently done a multi million euro deal, seling a bunch of domain names almost identical to the one that i was after.

Try to buy it, if they agree to sell a .ie domain then you have grounds to go after them for squatting as your only able to sell companies that own the domain and transfer the entitlement that way. :)

*I think, Blacknight is the expert on all this domain trading though.

Advertisement