Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Courses

• 13-08-2011 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Was just wondering is it still possible to change your CAO around even though it's so late. I heard you can change it for a fee of 80 euro after results. Is that even true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I doubt it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

In a word, no.

I'd love to know where these rumours come from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I'm in a bit of a pickle. My no1 has been 540/550 the last few years and until this month I really wanted it. Now I want my no.2 which is ~480. I obviously want to do as well as possible on Wednesday but really don't want my no1 course! I don't know what to do :/
    Chances are I wont get 540/550 but still, if I did I wouldnt want to be disappointed as that's an amazing result! :/

That's an unfortunate predicament LittleMissLost...

At least you had it in what you thought was your order of preference - it's a genuine change of mind. Some people end up in the same position because they filled out their course choices in order of points rather than preference.

It's out of your hands for now though, so try not to be too worried about it. If you do end up getting your number 1 course, maybe the interest you had in it will be rekindled? Between change of mind and offers day I swung through all sorts of course preferences even though I couldn't change them. I was seriously concerned about not having put my no.3 at no.1 for a while but it worked out for the best in the end.

Are the two courses similar?

dambarude wrote: »
    That's an unfortunate predicament LittleMissLost...

At least you had it in what you thought was your order of preference - it's a genuine change of mind. Some people end up in the same position because they filled out their course choices in order of points rather than preference.

It's out of your hands for now though, so try not to be too worried about it. If you do end up getting your number 1 course, maybe the interest you had in it will be rekindled? Between change of mind and offers day I swung through all sorts of course preferences even though I couldn't change them. I was seriously concerned about not having put my no.3 at no.1 for a while but it worked out for the best in the end.

Are the two courses similar?

Thank you.
    There's absoloutly nothing I can do, no? Even contact the no.2 college? It would just be devastating NOT to be happy with a great result.

• Advertisement

If the courses were in the same college there's a chance that some arrangement could be come to later on, but there's nothing you can do for the moment. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of transferring between courses in different colleges, but they'd be less likely to happen I would think.

The CAO assumes that you want your no.1 more than your no.2 so if you have the points for no.1 there's no way of 'moving down' to choose a no.2 course.

I understand, and we were warned about it so many times in school too :(
    No one's in Mary I and the other is St. Pats, Limerick and Dublin.
    Chances are I won't get the points for no1 anyway :)

Well if no.1 is in Mary I, I'm guessing it's the B.Ed Psychology. It's an enjoyable course, so I wouldn't worry about it you do get it! Is location/friends the main reason for your worry?

It could be worse - if say you had Dentistry no.1 and you really wanted teaching, no.2., there'd be a world of a difference there!

Advertisement