Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in June 1947

Options
  • 13-08-2011 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there was snow in Donegal in 1947? There is a bit if a debate going on!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

That was the year of the big snow allright, my father often talked about it, heres a link telling you all about it..

Edited to add, if you are ever in the Drift Inn in Buncrana, theres a picture which shows scenes from Buncrana main street during this snowfall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭CQ

Thank you for that link! I was wondering if there was any snow in June of that year, i cant find anything saying there was and there seems to be a heat wave in the UK that june, so its doubtful there was snow fall here!

CQ wrote: »
    Thank you for that link! I was wondering if there was any snow in June of that year, i cant find anything saying there was and there seems to be a heat wave in the UK that june, so its doubtful there was snow fall here!

heres a better link ...My father told me that the snow didnt fully clear till june, as there was snow on the hills here in the northwest, I dont think we had snowfall just snow lying on high grounds which can lie even though temps at sea level are quite high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭CQ

Thanks you again, very interesting reading!

Thanks you again, very interesting reading!

it might help to settle the debate:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mugbags

Yep, I remember hearing the 'oul wans' talking about it the snow was still there in early June and the all the neighbours were worried about was if it would be gone before the 12th of July for the orange parades!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I remember hearing my parents talking about 1947. Apparently, it was snowing in both Donegal, and Glasgow in June.

My parents got married in Glasgow on the 14th June 1947 - and it was snowing!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I always thought my dad was having us on when he said the snow was up to the top of the hedgerows(he was a bit of a blagger my dad), so it was true:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

It was true. Funny enough, I was chatting to a lady a few weeks ago who remembered "skating" on the lake at loughanure in June 1947. :eek:

She remebered getting a slap from her mother for taking her 5 year old cousin "skating", too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Does anyone know if there was snow in Donegal in 1947? There is a bit if a debate going on!!

If you visit the County Museum in Letterkenny you can see footage of the Big Snow in the film archive.. think the area where the film was shot in might be Buncrana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Can't remember, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

it would be nice if somebody had some pics of this to post up

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Done

deer_hunter.jpg

muffler wrote: »
    Done

deer_hunter.jpg

i can't see any pic mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

i can't see any pic mate

Titter :)

Titter :)
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

That was the year of the big snow allright, my father often talked about it, heres a link telling you all about it..

Edited to add, if you are ever in the Drift Inn in Buncrana, theres a picture which shows scenes from Buncrana main street during this snowfall..

Thanks for that link as it was all about small towns in cavan (arva,gowna)Know what must be the sons of some of the people mentioned :), must show it to them.

:D

whats going on here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

I'll give the game away.
    whats going on here ?

Done

deer_hunter.jpg

Apologies, that was a poor attempt at humour. You asked for a "pics of this" so I took a screen grab of your post and banged it up here.

I'll get me coat...

• Advertisement

ha ha sorry for being so slow i was really confused , am on heavy medication at the minute thats my excuse :D i see the funny side of it now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

An interesting article on the met eireann website about the winter of 1947, worst of the century but no mention of snow in June.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Winter1947.pdf

Looking at the weather charts from back then there was probably snow in May so it was more than likely that there was still snow lying in places into June

am on heavy medication at the minute thats my excuse :D
    So am I.....

vodka1.jpg

ok am going to try again lol , does anyone have any pics of the bad weather in 1947 :D

Advertisement