Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull Proofs out monday-

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

yes i do belive ebi is paying the bills i run a low input low out put system i need a cow to suit that system.im not saying there is anything wrong with other systems there just not for me.

as a matter of interest you crossing with jersey or norweigen red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

yes i do belive ebi is paying the bills i run a low input low out put system i need a cow to suit that system.im not saying there is anything wrong with other systems there just not for me.

as a matter of interest did you use any norweigan sires and if so what you think of them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

case 956 wrote: »
    as a matter of interest you crossing with jersey or norweigen red

I haven't crossed anything yet but I will be using jersey then back to black and White. I don't know much about norwiegen red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

My reason for cross breeding was to have a hardier cow as any good pb holstain
    I had either had to be culled or died lameness was a problem aswell
    The holstains would even stand in the yard or roadway after milking and not walk up the hill to grass without being driven the other breeds now walk up the hill and the holstains follow on.
    I have a holstain bull this year with an ebi of 150 and even he is suffering with his feat.
    I am farming on the side of a mountain and have a low input system
    roadways have stones washed down after heavy rain
    I find the cross breeds have improved health and milk yield has not suffered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I have 2 heifers from milking from nr nzt crossed with brown swiss will have more coming in next year
    I have cows off SR jis that I am very happy with
    the jersey x i have are hardy if they could just be a bit bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

djmc wrote: »
    My reason for cross breeding was to have a hardier cow as any good pb holstain
    I had either had to be culled or died lameness was a problem aswell
    The holstains would even stand in the yard or roadway after milking and not walk up the hill to grass without being driven the other breeds now walk up the hill and the holstains follow on.
    I have a holstain bull this year with an ebi of 150 and even he is suffering with his feat.
    I am farming on the side of a mountain and have a low input system
    roadways have stones washed down after heavy rain
    I find the cross breeds have improved health and milk yield has not suffered
    thats the reasons i bought a british friesian bull:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    thats the reasons i bought a british friesian bull:D

Give me the jerseys any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

not a chance around here anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 centre 13

Have you ever been in Hillsborough..most of the trials sponsored by feed and fert companies etc..no credibility ..Moorepark absolutely independent..Jersey x cows prob will not interest small herds but for larger herds the reasons are compelling..guts of 200 eu extra profit per lactation over holstein principally derived from better fertility and a better milk price..at least 4 cent per lactation with less water. Those black hooves are rock hard for walking so suit larger herd s too. Put these cows on marginal land and given the same stocking rate say 3 cows per ha you prob have to carry at least 120 kilos less livewight..it might take 10 years but half the cows in this country will be x bred by then.Remember no matter how good the fertility sub index of a holstein is it will take generations to fix a problem which one cross with a Jersey will solve straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

centre 13 wrote: »
    Have you ever been in Hillsborough..most of the trials sponsored by feed and fert companies etc..no credibility ..Moorepark absolutely independent..Jersey x cows prob will not interest small herds but for larger herds the reasons are compelling..guts of 200 eu extra profit per lactation over holstein principally derived from better fertility and a better milk price..at least 4 cent per lactation with less water. Those black hooves are rock hard for walking so suit larger herd s too. Put these cows on marginal land and given the same stocking rate say 3 cows per ha you prob have to carry at least 120 kilos less livewight..it might take 10 years but half the cows in this country will be x bred by then.Remember no matter how good the fertility sub index of a holstein is it will take generations to fix a problem which one cross with a Jersey will solve straight away.

Anyone that knows how to manage holsteins will pick big gaping holes in Moorepark research too!

So what if its sponsored, can you prove its compromised?

I know heterosis is important but really, one generation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Pauric Mc wrote: »
    did any of ye use axn or mxz yet?

AXN on a handful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

:eek: Seriously though, what price would a British Friesian bull calf have to command before you'd consider switching away from Holstein. I'm thinking about the Beef farmers here. Remember that it costs about €500 to keep a suckler cow.
    In the old days we finished all Fr bullocks, over 90% of them would grade R's. It can be done.
    How much €€€ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

centre 13 wrote: »
    Have you ever been in Hillsborough..most of the trials sponsored by feed and fert companies etc..no credibility ..Moorepark absolutely independent

so are you suggesting they tamper with the results????

TBH i have only a passing interest in dairying but i often wonder are moorepark devoloping a system to suit the cow (je x holstien) minimal meal, outwintering pads etc... a sort of survival of the fittest
    remember bealy was the only grass variety to use for the last few years .... oh yea it died last winter
    the crossbred route has its benfits and may be the route for some farmers but i still wonder is it just a quick fix :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bealaha

my reason for cross breeding and im only still thinking about

i what a cow that will go incalf easy milk 4 to 5 thousand litres a year have good fat and protein and is easy to look after and i what her to do it from grass only.i only what to feed meal when there is a shortage of grass i dont what to be feeding her tonnes of expensive feed at low milk price.

find me a black and white cow that can do this and i will be happy

have you ever looked towards using some kiwi-friesian, eurogene/lic have got some good bulls, such as HZC, WLB, UDE,
    the kiwi-friesian will give you a hardier, fertile cow with good milk constituents.

and most important to you these cows come in black and white!!:D

bealaha wrote: »
    have you ever looked towards using some kiwi-friesian, eurogene/lic have got some good bulls, such as HZC, WLB, UDE,
    the kiwi-friesian will give you a hardier, fertile cow with good milk constituents.

and most important to you these cows come in black and white!!:D

yes i have been using the lic bulls used lots of uyc bwz very good bulls cant remember off the top of my head what other ones i have used now.i havent definenlty decided to cross breed just what to try some to see what all the fuss is about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 up outa dat

These genomic bulls appear to be over rated completely, the ebi on these bulls rarely rises as the following proofs come out, I know the reliability is relavtively low but surely a few more would go up seen as so many drop so much. An excuse for the companies to charge extra for the straws i spose.

Min wrote: »
    AXN on a handful.

Used AXN, MXZ and LKX on few that will be calving in the autumn, their ebi's seem to have held a bit anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭stanflt

Used AXN, MXZ and LKX on few that will be calving in the autumn, their ebi's seem to have held a bit anyways

do you only pick bulls from tk jc and the likes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

did anybody read mike bradys letter in the ifj.i thought it was spot on there is no one cow type or farm system to suit everyone,you have to cut your cloth to suit you.as long as you remember the bottom line is money and lifestyle.no point trying to start a high investment system or lowering cash volumes if you already have made the investment

stanflt wrote: »
    do you only pick bulls from tk jc and the likes:D

:confused:Yera got em as a pack of test bulls last year, only 7 of each,cheap straws. normally get 2/3 daughter proven and the last few years some from a panel of genomic sires as well, will see how the heifers calve down before deciding on continuing with the genomic sires this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

stanflt wrote: »
    a question i like to ask people thinking of cross breeding{before i refer to studies and recomendations from hillsborough)

what is your main reason for cross breeding?

i ask anyone to answerthis question honestly

will you put up those links as i have good respect for work out of hillsborough, visited the place several times and while they do set up trials to test products that is more a funding issue than anything else. moorepark is fortunate at the moment that they are adequately funded, they too may have to go back down this road.

Advertisement