Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few simple questions about graduate medicine

Options
  • 13-08-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I've got a few questions about graduate medicine. I'm not from Ireland so I'm a little unfamiliar with your system.

1) So, if I understand correctly, the GAMSAT is the only sellection criteria. What does the cut-off mean? Like, let's say UL has a 56 cut-off. Are all people with a score of 56 or more offered a place? And if not, how do they decide who gets an offer and who doesn't?

2) How many universities can you apply to?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

you also need a upper second class honours (2.1) degree NFQ level 8... which has I think 240 "credits". and no every one over a 56 gets offered, as long as they meet the degree requirement, there is no other decision

you can apply to 4 universities that offer UCD, UCC, RCSI, UL, if there are any more in the future, you will be able to apply to those, (trinity + NUIG), but there are only 4 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

and no every one over a 56 gets offered, as long as they meet the degree requirement, there is no other decision
    Not true. Everyone on or over 56 gets offered a place in that situation.
    If the cutoff says 56*, this means that not everyone will be offered a place with a score of 56 and the offers will be done on random selection. In this situation obviously those with a 57 or above will be guaranteed a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ambiguity

Okay, thanks. How competetive is graduate medicine in Ireland? How many applicants per place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Biologic wrote: »
    If the cutoff says 56*, this means that not everyone will be offered a place with a score of 56 and the offers will be done on random selection. In this situation obviously those with a 57 or above will be guaranteed a place.
    if you're that keen on semantics, dont you mean everyone with OVER 56, and some with 56? (that includes all 57s and some 56s):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

if you're that keen on semantics, dont you mean everyone with OVER 56, and some with 56? (that includes all 57s and some 56s):cool:

Wrong again. I mean what I said. And I wasn't being semantic, your post was misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Ambiguity wrote: »
    Okay, thanks. How competetive is graduate medicine in Ireland? How many applicants per place?

A score of 55 (UL was 54*) would definitely get you a place in graduate medicine in ireland, and according to the curve for this year's exam here, that means you had to be in the 60th percentile.
    https://gamsat-ireland.acer.edu.au/results/normInfo.php?yr=2011

Advertisement