Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost Damaged Pressure Washer - Can This Be Fixed By A Handy Man?

• 13-08-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I'm just about to try and take it apart, but it's difficult because it has strange screw heads which i don't have the special screw-drivers for :o

Before i go to the trouble of taking it apart - whatever part inside thats burst or broken, is it possible to fix it myself?...say by wrapping water proof tape around it or holding it together with a dublee clip or something. I've never opened one before so i don't know what to expect when i get it open :confused:

It's out of warrenty so i can't send it back.

Is it something that i can fix by myself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

normally they are fixable, a friend of mine has fixed a few for us. I think they are torx screws - if your lucky u might be able to get a flat head screwdrivers to fit across them

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Sparkpea wrote: »
    normally they are fixable, a friend of mine has fixed a few for us. I think they are torx screws - if your lucky u might be able to get a flat head screwdrivers to fit across them

Yes i'm able to get off the screws with a flat head screwdriver. I have them half off but not fully yet.

It's whats waiting for me inside that i'm worried about. Will i be able for it? I don't want to get replacement parts, just too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

I'd say that it's unlikely you will be able to fix it with waterproof tape and/or jubilee clips but you won't know until you have a look inside.
    2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I don't want to get replacement parts, just too expensive.

How do you know they will be too expensive. It doesn't cost anything to get a quote for parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I'm just about to try and take it apart, but it's difficult because it has strange screw heads which i don't have the special screw-drivers for :o

Before i go to the trouble of taking it apart - whatever part inside thats burst or broken, is it possible to fix it myself?...say by wrapping water proof tape around it or holding it together with a dublee clip or something. I've never opened one before so i don't know what to expect when i get it open :confused:

It's out of warrenty so i can't send it back.

Is it something that i can fix by myself?

I'm curious to know why you think you'd be able to send it back if it was still within warranty? Warranties cover manufacturer's poor quality and workmanship, not accidental damage, user negligence, abuse or misuse.

There's no way anyone here can advise you if you can bodge a repair, since we (nor you) even know what the damage is. You could be lucky to find it's just a burst or dislodged hose but it's likely to be something more drastic requiring proper replacement parts. Put up a few pics once you get it stripped down.

Anyone try to fix frost damage for one of these before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What exactly is the problem? Chances are it wasn't caused by the frost, may well be the pressure switch / valve this can stick on them...

It happened to me with one years ago and it was frost damage:

Turned it on, hooked up the water supply and water starts coming out from the insides onto the ground.

Same symptoms now years later with this different one. 90% sure it's frost damage. Frost damage is probably the most common complaint with these things.

Any idea if it's DIY fixable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I've buggered 2 with frost, can't fix without parts because they are a casting and parts are unobtainable for the cheaper variety.

Advertisement