Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a new bar

Options
  • 13-08-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're heading out along the liffey / temple bar area tonight. Just looking for any recommendations for a new funky bar to visit. Are there any you know of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Porterhouse in Temple bar is a great place, does tend to pack up early. Also never been in it but heard good things about it: The Gypsy Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

chin_grin wrote: »
    Porterhouse in Temple bar is a great place, does tend to pack up early. Also never been in it but heard good things about it: The Gypsy Rose.
    Thanks chin grin. I've not been in he porterhouse in years so it's an option. I'll be hitting the gypsy later tonight as it happens .

Diceicle wrote: »
    Thanks chin grin. I've not been in he porterhouse in years so it's an option. I'll be hitting the gypsy later tonight as it happens .

If you haven't checked out the new Fibbers on Ormonde Quay it's worth a shot. Personally I don't think it's as nice as the other two, but it has it's charms.

http://www.fibbermagees.ie/Fibbers_2/site/Contact.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Porterhouse is nice, but gets fairly irritating when whatever singer/songwriter comes on and they blast the music at full volume. I think I'm just getting old, though.
    If you haven't checked out the new Fibbers on Ormonde Quay it's worth a shot. Personally I don't think it's as nice as the other two, but it has it's charms.

http://www.fibbermagees.ie/Fibbers_2/site/Contact.html

Where are the other two fibbers? I know the one on Parnell Street (although I thought that had closed down).

• Advertisement

Where are the other two fibbers? I know the one on Parnell Street (although I thought that had closed down).

Ah, no I meant my other two suggestions. :pac:

Yeah there's only the other one at the end of O'Connell which I think has gone to sh!t. They're now putting on a load of foam and UV parties.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

The Exchequer Bar on Sth William St is a nice spot.

Mercantile on Dame St is good too imo.

Wouldn't be into the Fibber/Gypsy Rose scene at all myself. Too many "hard men".

Living Room is a good spot imo, as is Woolshed.

O Byrnes on Nth King St is a good call too. Bit different, but good beer and good spot.

Against the Grain on Camden St also if you want good beer.

Sound like a real alco in this post!

wixfjord wrote: »
    Wouldn't be into the Fibber/Gypsy Rose scene at all myself. Too many "hard men".

Whats a 'hard man in your opinion?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The hardest people you'll find in Fibbers are the Dublin Roller Girls, but they're lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Living Room is a good spot imo, as is Woolshed.

Only if you like drinking the worst beer this side of the river. Cheapish though and great value for platters of food. Forgot the pool table..there aren't enough Dublin boozers with a pool table.

• Advertisement

D wrote: »
    The hardest people you'll find in Fibbers are the Dublin Roller Girls, but they're lovely.

Ah metallers cooote lil kittens in disguise. :pac:
    Collie D wrote: »
    Only if you like drinking the worst beer this side of the river. Cheapish though and great value for platters of food.

True. But they've also cheapy pitchers. Tenner for jack and coke and fosters.......last time I checked. Also +1 for the platters. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

workman's club... or the garage bar... or how bout o'reilly's by tara street dart station?

1)workman's club... or the 2)garage bar... or how bout 3)o'reilly's by tara street dart station?

1) Sounds like a gay bar! :pac:
    2) Never heard of it.
    3) Yeah Club Hell is a bit of a laugh but it gets packed to the hilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Diceicle wrote: »
    Hi,

We're heading out along the liffey / temple bar area tonight. Just looking for any recommendations for a new funky bar to visit. Are there any you know of?

Where you guys end up??

Wish people would come back with comments on the places they went to.

Keep hearing this Living Room place. Might have to check it out one night.

Whats a 'hard man in your opinion?..

30+ year old men "moshing out" to **** music and looking for rows, while trying to be "alternative", would be my definition anyway.

Collie D wrote: »
    Only if you like drinking the worst beer this side of the river. Cheapish though and great value for platters of food. Forgot the pool table..there aren't enough Dublin boozers with a pool table.

**** beer indeed, good craic though, and you can't beat a pitcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Garage bar on a good night is great but it can be hit and miss.

30+ year old men "moshing out" to **** music and looking for rows, while trying to be "alternative", would be my definition anyway.

And would you say, from your own experience that Fibber's or the Gypsy are troublesome Venue's?.

2) Never heard of it.
    3) Yeah Club Hell is a bit of a laugh but it gets packed to the hilt.

1) it's a pretty decent spot along the keys near the clarence hotel.. good music and a heterosexual crowd... and a pretty generous outdoor space upstairs for any smokers
    2) along the essex street temple bar.. not a bad pub.. if a little compact

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Living Room ? That's the place where you go when you're in the old Fibbers and want a Hoegaarden, right ?

(Joke aside, it's a nice-enough-but-not-thrilling place that shares the massive beergarden with Fibbers of Parnell and that other pub, Murrays I believe.)

The Garage Bar is this sort of hipstery place in Temple Bar, decorated with old gas pumps and whatnot. I mostly associate this place with the route to the Porterhouse :p

O'Reillys in Tara (aka The Sub Lounge) is a nice enough place. The pints are unusually cheap (between 3.20 and 3.50 most of the time), the music anywhere from decent to dreadful, but I definitely like the looks of the place. I believe it's in the old train station or something similar ? Bricks and wrought iron, that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Lannigans on Eden Quay ftw...........

great porter, sound staff, and a nice clientele(regulars, but youg regulars eg 25-40).......however its only a pub and not a club if thats what you were looking at .

still, late opening at the weekend, and mins away from anywhere else you'ld want to go.

had a pint in the actual temple bar last night... €6.20 for a heineken? 5.70 for smithwicks.. i know i should know better than to go there, but still thats crazy money for a beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was it in a couple of times and you're not far off!:D It reminds me of this video!

Was it in a couple of times and you're not far off!:D It reminds me of this video!

They all play synth!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The Workman's Club was like a teenage disco when I went there on a Saturday night. Some guy tried to lob the gob and all! :eek: Been there at other things during the week and it was alright. The staff are friendly.

Advertisement