Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate Medicine Loans

Options
  • 13-08-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

Im awaiting results of my repeat LC, and hoping for an offer to study medicine.

Was previously in college for 3 years but didnt complete my degree.

My question is will i be entitled to a loan to cover my tuition and living expenses.

Students entering Graduate Entry Medicine seem to have a few options available to them but im not sure what options there aqre for someone in my position.

Has anyone ever heard of a bank giving a loan to an undergrad to cover tuition and living?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

lisacj wrote: »
    Hi

Im awaiting results of my repeat LC, and hoping for an offer to study medicine.

Was previously in college for 3 years but didnt complete my degree.

My question is will i be entitled to a loan to cover my tuition and living expenses.

Students entering Graduate Entry Medicine seem to have a few options available to them but im not sure what options there aqre for someone in my position.

Has anyone ever heard of a bank giving a loan to an undergrad to cover tuition and living?

If you didn't complete your previous degree, you may be entitled to free fees under the second chance scheme, if it's five years or more since you left? You may also qualify for grants or the BTEA allowance. As to loans from the banks, I've not heard of any unfortunately, although I have heard that some credit unions do 'education' loans, though whether you have to have savings and to what limit they are, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lisacj

I'm going to apply for the BTEA but I wont be eligible for Free Fees as its less than 5 years since I left my course.

I wondered has anyone any experience of going back to study medicine, as an undergraduate and not as a graduate and did anyone manage to get a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I haven't heard of undergraduate loans.

Could you tell me how much a first yr undergraduate med student would have to pay for the year?

Thanks - I'm just checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lisacj

Medicine in NUIG

GY501 Medicine (Surgery and Obstetrics) €9,297!!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

lisacj wrote: »
    Medicine in NUIG

GY501 Medicine (Surgery and Obstetrics) €9,297!!

It's a lot of money, but still a lot less than grad. Entry....

I had heard it was like 12 grand in ucd....

Hmm. I think some college would let you pay in installations?

• Advertisement
Advertisement