Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on this camera

Options
  • 13-08-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I Just realised how old and out of date my camera is and want to get a new one. I don't want to spend to much i wont be doing anything fancy with it but want good mega pixels compared to what i have now which is 7.2 (old i know). Thoughts on this camera :

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEA152056

16 mega pixels , records in Hd .
    Tagged:

Comments

lil_tuts wrote: »
    I Just realised how old and out of date my camera is and want to get a new one. I don't want to spend to much i wont be doing anything fancy with it but want good mega pixels compared to what i have now which is 7.2 (old i know). Thoughts on this camera :

16 mega pixels , records in Hd .

7.2 vs 16 megapixels doesn't matter that much unless you are printing bigger than a4 pictures or if you are doing a lot of cropping. fuji camera is basic point and shoot. not much of a zoom on it - only 3 times. spend a bit more and go for a bigger zoom. you can get new and refurbished fuji f70 exr / f72 exr (same camera). search online and ebay. it's 10 megapixels but with 10 zoom. I have one - takes good pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

It has a 5 optical zoom , would that not be good ?

lil_tuts wrote: »
    It has a 5 optical zoom , would that not be good ?

it's ok but 10 is better. go to a camera shop and try out a few cameras to see what 5 zoom is like...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You will not necessarily get better pictures on a 16Mp camera vs. your existing 7.2 Mp camera.

You also need to be aware that anything bigger than 1600 x 1200 will get aggressively compressed when viewed on a PC screen so straight lines will look jagged and the files will be bigger. If you're taking photos which will only ever be viewed on a PC then anything bigger than 2 Mp is a waste of time.

I have a 2003 Canon Powershot S50 (5 Mp) and the pictures it takes are streets ahead of anything you get in a modern compact camera with 12 or 16 megapixels. It's almost always set to 1600 x 1200 so even if I bought a newer camera, I wouldn't need the extra pixels.

I also own a Nikon D90 SLR and on most occasions I take the Canon because it's more compact and still takes superb photos.

What manufacturers have done in the past few years is to pack more and more pixels into the same size sensor, the result is that while you get more pixels, the quality suffers because the individual sensors are being squashed closer and closer together. That's why big cameras like SLRs often have the same number of pixels as much smaller cameras, even though based on size they should have 50 or more megapixels.

The reason they don't is because in an SLR camera the image sensor is far bigger than on a compact meaning the sensors are further apart so the image quality is superior.

But if you do decide to buy a new camera I agree with glasso above, 3x optical zoom isn't much good, I wouldn't go for less than 5x and 10x would be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

what are your opinions on this:

or this one:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5293755/art/fujifilm/finepix-jz500.html

im more inclined for the second one because of the Optical Stabiliser.

any suggestions are welcome.
    budget top 200€

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 itsmemario

I still prefer Canon cameras

Advertisement